Will "classic" rock ever come back?

nki

KYUSS were the best rock band of the 90s

Don't even try and argue that point. :P

Just kidding, anyone can have a favourite, but really, Kyuss fucking ruled.

Blech! J\K, yeah KYUSS rocked. If I had to pick one, and I hate doing this, it'd be the Vandals. They summed it all up, tongue in cheek, on every album from the 80's until now. They rock hard while pointing out how silly it all can be. Warren Fitzgerald and Josh Freese are freakin' insanely gifted musicians to boot.

Well, you're wrong. It's business. If a record company was deciding between 2 bands, drug issues would be the furthest thing from their mind.

If they could spend a million on one band with no issues that would be mildly successful or spend $5mil on a band that was a trainwreck to deal with, but had more potential, they're goin with the druggies.

People got sick of hearing stuff like AIC and Pearl Jam when the record companies signed a bunch of streamlined band that copied the core sound.

What are you the music expert of the world? How the hell do you know if I'm wrong? I've heard more than once that record executives were shying away from bands known to dabble with H after all the stuff happened to the "grunge bands". This was stated in some documentary I saw on VH1 (I honestly don't remember which one). Maybe things of changed since than but not back in the late 90's/early 2000's. Your opinion is not fact and neither is mine so stop telling me I'm wrong. Got it. :angry:

Well, you're wrong. It's business. If a record company was deciding between 2 bands, drug issues would be the furthest thing from their mind.

If they could spend a million on one band with no issues that would be mildly successful or spend $5mil on a band that was a trainwreck to deal with, but had more potential, they're goin with the druggies.

People got sick of hearing stuff like AIC and Pearl Jam when the record companies signed a bunch of streamlined band that copied the core sound.

Thank you! :thumbsup:

If you mean by Classic Rock, the same old tired repitious narrow playlists by all of name bands you and I know ......

I'LL PASS

Youd have to turn Rock radio on it's head for me to be intersted in spending my days or nights listening....

By that, I mean playing the great groovy Rock songs of all years, by all artists,

AND ---ONLY--- RARELY PLAYING THE SONGS THAT ARE NOW PLAYED ON CLASSIC ROCK RADIO.

If you mean by Classic Rock, the same old tired repitious narrow playlists by all of name bands you and I know ......

I'LL PASS

Youd have to turn Rock radio on it's head for me to be intersted in spending my days or nights listening....

By that, I mean playing the great groovy Rock songs of all years, by all artists,

AND ---ONLY--- RARELY PLAYING THE SONGS THAT ARE NOW PLAYED ON CLASSIC ROCK RADIO.

You just have to find a deversified staion that plays not only, the hits and popular songs, of the 60s, 70s and 80s. I get my "classic rock" fix on 3WK streaming undergroundradio. They play even the most obscure rock music. Have a listen, I'm sure you will love it!

http://classic.3wk.com/player/player.php?f...station=classic

What are you the music expert of the world? How the hell do you know if I'm wrong? I've heard more than once that record executives were shying away from bands known to dabble with H after all the stuff happened to the "grunge bands". This was stated in some documentary I saw on VH1 (I honestly don't remember which one). Maybe things of changed since than but not back in the late 90's/early 2000's. Your opinion is not fact and neither is mine so stop telling me I'm wrong. Got it. :angry:

You are wrong. The bottom line was still, well.......... the bottom line. They realized there were a ton of bands with fewer drug problems, ready to do as they were told, that would still sell.

You are wrong. The bottom line was still, well.......... the bottom line. They realized there were a ton of bands with fewer drug problems, ready to do as they were told, that would still sell.

How can an opinion be wrong? It can't be. Also, I said drugs were a big part...not the only part.

I do not want to keep going back and forth on what is a petty argument but here is something I found in Modern Guitars magazine (by Tom Hess).

http://www.modernguitars.com/hess/archives/002249.html

I’ll give you a very simplistic example. Lets say there exists a great musician with a great band and great songs. In addition the band has already established a strong fan base on a regional level and sold a respectable amount of records (for a band without a record company behind it). Now lets say the primary songwriter and lead singer are unstable, drug addicts. Put yourself in the shoes of the manger, record company, etc. Would you be willing to invest your $450,000 into a talented band with great-marketable songs and an established local fan base if the primary people in the band did not have their %&#@ together mentally? I wouldn’t and most companies nowadays won’t either. In decades past, some record companies did invest in these types of people and sooner or later they usually got burned and lost lots of money when the walls around the people in the band came tumbling down. This was an extreme example, but serves to illustrate how the risks associated with the people (musicians) can kill an opportunity.

Again, I'm not saying who is right and wrong here, but I hate arguing over what, again, has been my opinion. If you disagree, fine with me. No one wins when you talk about opinions. Peace.

I'LL PASS

I agree dude. "Classic Rock" radio is soooooo stale it's not funny. And to make matters worse here in Canada you have to have a certain amount of Canadian Content. So every hour you have to have either a Neil Young song, A Rush song, a Guess Who song , or a Tragically Hip song. And i can't stand any of those artists. I have to turn it off more and more.

Classic Rock radio is as bad as Pop stations IMO. They only play "the hits" when almost everyone of these great bands has a ton of great tunes. Some stations seems to play the same songs around the same time of of day too. Someone should start a anti-classic rock station where they mostly play rarities. I would listen to that more than the same shit I hear all the time. Do they have that on Sirius/XM? I switched to talk radio long ago (mostly sports). That gets boring sometimes too though. I guess that's what bootlegs are for. :D

Classic Rock radio is as bad as Pop stations IMO. They only play "the hits" when almost everyone of these great bands has a ton of great tunes. Some stations seems to play the same songs around the same time of of day too. Someone should start a anti-classic rock station where they mostly play rarities. I would listen to that more than the same shit I hear all the time. Do they have that on Sirius/XM? I switched to talk radio long ago (mostly sports). That gets boring sometimes too though. I guess that's what bootlegs are for. :D

Have you ever listened to Little Steven's Underground Garage, is mostly garage music present, past and maybe future B) .

It's the radio show of musician/actor Steve Van Zandt from The Sopranos and E-Street Band. I've only gave it a couple listens but it seems cool. Besides I love The Sopranos so...

Here's a link.

Have you ever listened to Little Steven's Underground Garage, is mostly garage music present, past and maybe future B) .

It's the radio show of musician/actor Steve Van Zandt from The Sopranos and E-Street Band. I've only gave it a couple listens but it seems cool. Besides I love The Sopranos so...

Here's a link.

You are right on that one. I have heard it. Isn't it usually on Sunday night?

Here's a link.

It's a great show. I don't catch it on a regular basis but it reminds me of Vin Scelsa's "Idiot's Delight" a bit - his show was fantastic. All sorts of eclectic music from varied genres and he'd talk about the artist and give background information etc. I don't know what happened to him though.

You are right on that one. I have heard it. Isn't it usually on Sunday night?

Yes it's on sunday (did some research) and apparently you can listen to it live here. But I usually go to Little Steven's website and listen there. B)

It's a great show. I don't catch it on a regular basis but it reminds me of Vin Scelsa's "Idiot's Delight" a bit - his show was fantastic. All sorts of eclectic music from varied genres and he'd talk about the artist and give background information etc. I don't know what happened to him though.

Never heard of that show but it seems very similar to this one. :)

How can an opinion be wrong? It can't be. Also, I said drugs were a big part...not the only part.

That's where the misunderstanding is. I have used actual facts to back up my "opinion". You use assumptions and, apparently naivety.

I think many of the new bands do a lot of jumping around on stage, as if their music was exciting, when it isn't.

If the so called classic rock artist had done hip-hop before they did the music that made them famous, they would have faded away.

I think you misunderstood the points I was making. :)

That's where the misunderstanding is. I have used actual facts to back up my "opinion". You use assumptions and, apparently naivety.

What facts? Your big trap. You didn't state one fact other than your reference to Guns and Roses. What I'm talking about was way after they formed. I just posted something that agrees with my opinion by someone in the business. Not some troll on a website. Piss off.

Fuck you asshole. What facts? Your big trap. I just posted something that agrees with my opinion by someone in the business. Not some troll on a website. Piss off.

I'm not a troll. You seem to have delusional thoughts about how the music business and business in general works. The past, present and future of music is on my side here. Dunno why you are gettin so angry.

When did they get internet in the darkest depths of Mordor, douche bag?

I'm not a troll. You seem to have delusional thoughts about how the music business and business in general works. The past, present and future of music is on my side here. Dunno why you are gettin so angry.

When did they get internet in the darkest depths of Mordor, douche bag?

Why am I getting annoyed? Because you keep insulting me and my intelligence. For the last time, I'm talking about from the late 90's to early 2000's. NOT the 50's to the 90's. Yes, back then the record business signed anyone doing anything from booze to heroin. They were greedy and could give a fuck just as long as the big bucks were coming in. Fast forward to the 90's and after seeing all these artists and more importantly their investments, die from hardcore drugs, that they took a step back and realized it wasn't worth it. Hence, they started pushing bubblegum music and other styles that were far from rock. It's all about controlling your investment. Was it the only factor? NO. But it had something to do with it. It's been stated more than once by people actually in the business too. I could care less if you agree with me or not, just don't say I'm dumb because you disagree with me. It's disrespectful. Did I do that to you? No.

As for your question, we got the internet in Mordor back around 2002. And no, I'm not a douche bag. I'm a Lycanthrope. Can we stop this LAME squabble now? Peace.

His show is in a rut. When the only songs that he plays by bands like the Shadows Of Knight and the Electric Prunes are "Gloria" and "Too Much To Dream", it doesn't seem very "underground" to me. And there's his "coolest song in the world" each week. All I'll say about that is, the word "cool" doesn't mean what it used to.

Sorry to hear that because it was quite good for a time.

I like Little Steven's show despite not being very "underground", you can only hammer out so much "Nuggets" type of stuff before you run out of material because that's all there is. He tosses in some surprises here and there. A few weeks ago he played some tracks from Yo La Tengo's Ride The Tiger, I'm guessing not many people even knew what it was. For all I know the show I heard was several months old, it's not live or even current here. At any rate anyone that plays cuts from Ride The Tiger is ok in my book.

I like Little Steven's show despite not being very "underground", you can only hammer out so much "Nuggets" type of stuff before you run out of material because that's all there is. He tosses in some surprises here and there. A few weeks ago he played some tracks from Yo La Tengo's Ride The Tiger, I'm guessing not many people even knew what it was. For all I know the show I heard was several months old, it's not live or even current here. At any rate anyone that plays cuts from Ride The Tiger is ok in my book.

Yo La Tengo's a great band. Have seen them many many times over the years.

Well, that's nice and all, for what it is.... an entertaing show of eclectic music with the stories behind the music....

But............. I want a radio tation that I can tune into, ANYTIME, night, or day, and just hear great groovy music, THAT DOES ---NOT--- HAVE TO BE "SET UP" by a DJ.

Ino ther words, the music itself does the communicating.

Yeah, that's exactly the kind of radio I would listen to.

I really don't need Alice Cooper, or Bob Dylan, or whomever setting up songs for me....

But, like I said, a show like Little Steven's Underground, with ecletic music and stories behind the music, is okay for what it is.....

I just prefer, a cool, laid back, non-star radio DJ to spin the tracks for me.

That's just the way it was laid down in Austin, Texas during the years 1973-1977 on KLBJ-FM.

I have no more respect for people involved in today's Corporate Classic Rock Radio, than I ever did for the people involved in AM Top 40 radio, which is no respect at all.

Archived