Happy Birthday Physical Graffiti!

Zeppelin_2008

The first Led Zeppelin album, I ever bought shortly after its release in 1975.

I had already obtained LZ III and Houses Of The Holy from a friend of mine, in a trade.

I gained a better appreciation of LZ III, after listening to the second LP of Physical Graffiti a few times.

It just somehow captures the essence of Zeppelin- the soft acoustic, the hard rockin' riffs, the guitar/vocal duels, thundering drums, and the killer keyboards (that's something you don't hear often...).

Definitely a fave of mine, the first real album I bought (not counting Mothership). Love the whole album and I agree with moffo, not a track worth skipping!

Ah, so Feb. 24, 1975 is the date, is it? Certainly deserves a nod of recognition and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY from me as that is one of the very few days of my life that I can recall with crystal clarity. It was beautiful, sunny day, a little nippy about 40 degrees, in eastern Tennessee. I'll save the rest of the details to tell my grandchildren some day. :D

To the folks who were around then -- what song(s) from Physical Graffiti were played on the radio most where you lived? I believe Trampled Underfoot was the only one I heard before it was released and the main one after, maybe The Rover sometimes too, but I don't recall Kashmir getting that much airtime.

Ah, so Feb. 24, 1975 is the date, is it? Certainly deserves a nod of recognition and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY from me as that is one of the very few days of my life that I can recall with crystal clarity. It was beautiful, sunny day, a little nippy about 40 degrees, in eastern Tennessee. I'll save the rest of the details to tell my grandchildren some day. :D

To the folks who were around then -- what song(s) from Physical Graffiti were played on the radio most where you lived? I believe Trampled Underfoot was the only one I heard before it was released and the main one after, maybe The Rover sometimes too, but I don't recall Kashmir getting that much airtime.

Kashmir, Boogie With Stu and Ten Years Gone.

it's really difficult for me to choose fave zep songs or albums..... but yeah, PG is probably my number 1. i mean...... custard pie, the rover, ten years gone, kashmir ........ every song on that album is a classic. and let's not forget the packaging. i sat on my bedroom floor for days going over and over those little pics. i remember thinking " these guys are just so perfect in everyway". how right i was.

It didn't get much air time here either. In The Light and Ten Years Gone were played a fair bit. So was Sick Again

It didn't get much air time here either. In The Light and Ten Years Gone were played a fair bit. So was Sick Again

Wow- Sick Again got played a lot on the radio where you lived? Here in NY the only time I ever heard Sick Again on the radio is when a station would play the whole album or just all of side 4. The first time I heard it I said to myself "this song is great- I wonder why it never gets played?"

Wow- Sick Again got played a lot on the radio where you lived? Here in NY the only time I ever heard Sick Again on the radio is when a station would play the whole album or just all of side 4. The first time I heard it I said to myself "this song is great- I wonder why it never gets played?"

Not a lot but a fair bit. LG FM was pretty cool about not overplaying music by anyone. Upon it's release, most of PG was played at one time or another but I would say the three I listed were played more than any of the other cuts on the album. There may have been a couple of other's but definately, Kashmir was not one them

That's exactly what I thought when I first heard "Custard Pie." I grew up in the New Orleans area and NEVER heard the song on the local "rock" station, WRNO, in the 1970's, or ever, for that matter. What a sucky, narrow-minded, overrated station that was. It was run by two spoiled rich brothers who were Beatles fanatics, so all you ever heard was "Beatles weekends." Today it's a talk radio station.

And I never hear my favorite, Ten Years Gone. :( But on an up note, just this past week I've heard a fav from their 1st album, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, on 3 different radio stations, only 1 of which bills itself as "classic rock".

It's funny you should say that as I hear more Zeppelin on the radio now than I ever did in the 70's.

You might be able to tune into ROCK 101 CFMI.

It's funny you should say that as I hear more Zeppelin on the radio now than I ever did in the 70's.

I might add KISM 92.9 In Bellingham is another

I might add KISM 92.9 In Bellingham is another

Now that you mention it, I think you're right about more Zep now than in the 70s. And I don't even listen to the radio much now, only in the car while running errands. Back then I had a radio turned on at all waking hours.

I jotted down those call letters and will give them a search.....gracias!

Archived