Adam Lambert American Idol

MightyZep

I don't get these kind of shows, personally. Why would you set yourself up for public humiliation, when you could've done it privately? If someone's that determined to 'make it' in the business, wouldn't they have tried harder to get into it in the first place? Don't bands/singers send demo tapes, and whatnot, to record companies anymore? I find it very strange that, if you want to be recognised as a singer, you have to go through auditions with the village idiot to prove your talent.

And then it all seems futile. Half of the contestants and winners disappear into oblivion within a couple of weeks, anyway.

If you're really that determined, you wouldn't need to set yourself up for a public downfall on some crass reality talent show. You would've tried everything possible beforehand - open-mike nights, clubs, pubs - fuck it, even YouTube. To me, these kind of shows tell me that the participants are too lazy to have actually tried anything beforehand. They're told what to sing and then slagged off for it. I wait for the day when they actually have to write their own music and perform it. Only then would I watch it.

But I totally disagree with you about the show/contestants. I think Daughtry should have won hands down that year. And there's LOTS of others who CAN sing that never made to the top spot.

So far this season I'm rooting for Allison.

B)

I think Chris should have won too, but he's probably better off not having won in terms of having more artistic freedom than he otherwise would have. :unsure:

I don't get these kind of shows, personally. Why would you set yourself up for public humiliation, when you could've done it privately? If someone's that determined to 'make it' in the business, wouldn't they have tried harder to get into it in the first place? Don't bands/singers send demo tapes, and whatnot, to record companies anymore? I find it very strange that, if you want to be recognised as a singer, you have to go through auditions with the village idiot to prove your talent.

And then it all seems futile. Half of the contestants and winners disappear into oblivion within a couple of weeks, anyway.

If you're really that determined, you wouldn't need to set yourself up for a public downfall on some crass reality talent show. You would've tried everything possible beforehand - open-mike nights, clubs, pubs - fuck it, even YouTube. To me, these kind of shows tell me that the participants are too lazy to have actually tried anything beforehand. They're told what to sing and then slagged off for it. I wait for the day when they actually have to write their own music and perform it. Only then would I watch it.

You don't really know if the contestants did or did not try all that before they came on the show. I'm sure many of them have.

You don't really know if the contestants did or did not try all that before they came on the show. I'm sure many of them have.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm sure many of them had tried beforehand (atleast, I hope). I just fear that some of them will see AI, X-factor, et all, as the only way of breaking into the business and possibly don't feel they need to try any other route beforehand.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm sure many of them had tried beforehand (atleast, I hope). I just fear that some of them will see AI, X-factor, et all, as the only way of breaking into the business and possibly don't feel they need to try any other route beforehand.

Some will feel that's the only way or the way they want to try to make it but I think you'll still have a host of musicians that will take other routes. It's also hard to say how long AI will be on tv. I know it's still quite popular here (I would imagine X-Factor is too?) but ratings have dropped so my suspicion is the novelty of it is beginning to wane.

Some will feel that's the only way or the way they want to try to make it but I think you'll still have a host of musicians that will take other routes. It's also hard to say how long AI will be on tv. I know it's still quite popular here (I would imagine X-Factor is too?) but ratings have dropped so my suspicion is the novelty of it is beginning to wane.

X-Factor is very popular, though now it's because of the female judges <_<

Too be honest, I've never watched a single show (nor do I intend to), and I don't judge those who do watch them, I just feel they're a rather humiliating path to go down for participants.

I think I'd appreciate them alot more if the contestants wrote their own stuff. That'd be a lot more interesting.

:lol:

Doesn't American Idol need permission from Zeppelin to have a contestant perform a Zeppelin song? If so,

Good Times: No constant repeats of Stairway at rehearsals

I don't need Robert's voice butchered

They aren't commercial enough

Bad times: It could get the name out there a little better

X-Factor is very popular, though now it's because of the female judges <_<

Too be honest, I've never watched a single show (nor do I intend to), and I don't judge those who do watch them, I just feel they're a rather humiliating path to go down for participants.

I think I'd appreciate them alot more if the contestants wrote their own stuff. That'd be a lot more interesting.

I don't watch AI - I've seen bits of it here and there. I don't quite get the having the judges if it's people who do the actual voting. To me I'd think the judges should be the ones deciding. If they had to write their own songs, that would certainly up the challenge! I do think there's been some talent in the pool but often it seems they get voted off. I don't know how the contestants are on X-Factor in comparison but I do think Leona Lewis has a great voice and I do like her cd a lot.

I'm settling in to watch the next group of 12 in ~15 minutes :):munchies:

That's a great description "settling in". Yeah, I thought that Lil Rounds really had it together. Not my particular style, but I was COMPLETELY down with it. Puerto Rican guy, the guy that did Hey There Delilah, and Blind Guy (in no way am I being insensitive, sorry, that's just how I remember him) all did good to IMO. I guess we'll see how it turns out tomorrow... B)

That's a great description "settling in". Yeah, I thought that Lil Rounds really had it together. Not my particular style, but I was COMPLETELY down with it. Puerto Rican guy, the guy that did Hey There Delilah, and Blind Guy (in no way am I being insensitive, sorry, that's just how I remember him) all did good to IMO. I guess we'll see how it turns out tomorrow... B)

I agree, and the girl who did the Alicia Keys song was really good too. And she's from Virginia :)

Just like Detroit?

B)

Detroit sucks in general? Well, I suppose it would appear that way to someone who's never been/lived here. I actually love it. It's in a rebuilding era right now too and not doing as bad as it was 10 or so years ago, but I'll agree and say it still has a ways to go.

However, if you were implying that Detroit is the reason American music sucks, then I'd have to ask where you've been in the last 60 or so years... Detroit has always been hot in that respect.

Detroit sucks in general? Well, I suppose it would appear that way to someone who's never been/lived here. I actually love it. It's in a rebuilding era right now too and not doing as bad as it was 10 or so years ago, but I'll agree and say it still has a ways to go.

Nope, I've never been there. Just by way of 'Gran Torino'

B)

However, if you were implying that Detroit is the reason American music sucks, then I'd have to ask where you've been in the last 60 or so years... Detroit has always been hot in that respect.

'Can't forget the motor city, we're dancin' in the streets'

Motown

Actually, all big American cities pretty much suck these days IMO.

B)

Matt was amazing just now; in Hollywood week he was my favorite (Georgia on my mind) :D I really like Megan too; can't wait to see what she does! Then we're off to the airport so I'll miss the rest; 'yall will have to fill me in!

Get over yourselves! AI is all about entertainment...laughing at idiots and misfits, looking at attractive kids on stage, an occasional great vocal and the eclectic mixture of feedback from the judges. ITS A FREAKING TV SHOW!! Don't let it get your shorts in a bunch. :lol:

Oh yeah? What was the last music wave out of Detroit? My thoughts go back to Motown in the late 70's. Almost 40 years ago. New York, New Orleans, L.A., Atlanta, Seattle, Miami, San Francisco have had some hot times since then...maybe you can refresh my memory. I've been wrong before.... :)

By the way..... I think that American music is great! :D

Archived