Am I an oddity among Zep fans?

I was thinking...and Coda was the 1st album I bought (I posted Physical Graffiti elsewhere). I like it, but probably not my overall favorite. (I can't really choose a fave - somewhere between Zoso, PG & HOTH)

Some of my favorite songs are on Coda, though- Darlene, Wearing&Tearing, Poor Tom, and Bonzo's Montreux, of course!

Refering to the original post, all us Zeppelin fans are oddities :D

I adore Presence, too--but (and I know I've said this before , sorry) NOTHING on PG is filler.

Interesting...

... you do know that upwards of 50% of it was old material that was never finished or didn't fit on or wasn't good enough for any previous album.

It's not filler in the sense that it's unsubstantial.., but it is filler in that it was old work they had laying around they just felt like throwing onto an album.

In a sense, Physical Graffiti was half album, half 1975 version of CODA.

Interesting...

... you do know that upwards of 50% of it was old material that was never finished or didn't fit on or wasn't good enough for any previous album.

It's not filler in the sense that it's unsubstantial.., but it is filler in that it was old work they had laying around they just felt like throwing onto an album.

Well even though the album was made up of older material, it all seems to "fit" as an album and doesn't have a filler feel, if that makes sense. Coda sounds like an album of extras and such which I'm not saying is a bad thing at all!

I don't find it odd at all to like one album more than another. It is just more about personal taste. PG is my favorite, but I also love HOTH and Presence as well. I also love the rest, but hey, it is really hard to choose just one though. I am gonna have to take another listen to CODA since it has been years since I have heard the whole album. Actually "Bonzo's Montreaux" was one of the very first Zeppelin songs I ever heard. B)

I don't find it odd at all to like one album more than another. It is just more about personal taste. PG is my favorite, but I also love HOTH and Presence as well. I also love the rest, but hey, it is really hard to choose just one though. I am gonna have to take another listen to CODA since it has been years since I have heard the whole album. Actually "Bonzo's Montreaux" was one of the very first Zeppelin songs I ever heard. B)

I don't listen to Coda that often but I've a few songs off it on my Ipod :)

I feel that same way about Houses of the Holy.

People call it their best effort... but Presence kicks its ass, and is so underrated it's not even funny.

Tea For One, 1976's SIBLY... should have been played live.

For Your Life? Show me a solo that is more strung out and emotional on any Zeppelin album... there's only a few. You can practically taste the blow that went into that song.

Achilles Last Stand... are you fucking kidding me right now? I practically jizz in my pants every 30 seconds during this thing.

Nobody's Fault But Mine. N-N N-N-N N-N N-NOOOOOOthing bad about this song.

Candy Store Rock just drips sex... Oh baby baby dontchya wanna man-a-like me you ask?... I'm not gay, but Robert, after hearing this, I definitely want man-a-like you.

For a relatively short album like this to pack so much heat is amazing. There is absolutely NO filler, a'la Physical Graffiti... and compare tracks to, say, anything off Houses of the Holy... none even come close... much more emotion and soul in Presence than their first couple albums too...

Page himself has even said that Presence was the closest they got to creating a masterpiece.

Well Docron, I guess you like this album. But keep it short of a premature... Are you a bit emotionally involved sexually with this album? Actually it's my favorite after PG. Great job describing, how sexually intense these songs are.

To each his own!

I have read many comments on here from people who can't stand the "Immigrant Song" - which happens to be one of my favorites! On the other hand, the majority LOVE "Achillees Last Stand" and I skip that song everytime! For me it's a song that sounds repetitious and goes nowhere!

Thank God I'm in the majority for "Physical Graffiti" - easily one of THE greatest rock records of all time!!!

and my song that "sounds repitious and goes nowhere" is Kashmir. (she said, ducking the flames!! LOL!! :) ). See?/Just goes to show ya..to each his own..music just has to resonate with YOU!!! :)

Sharon

I've been a Zeppelin fan for about 4 years now, and I've recently finished obtaining all of their albums. There isn't a song I don't like. However, I feel somewhat odd, because Houses of the Holy is my least favorite album. I even like CODA more, and I know a lot of people view CODA as an album most people buy just to have a complete collection. I'm just wondering if anyone else feels the same way about HotH and CODA?

I think Houses is one great piece of art musically. But I feel that my least favorite album is 'In Through The Out Door'.

All though, there are a few great toon's on it.

CODA is actually pretty good. :)

Don't really have a least favorite. There are albums that I listen to alot, and others I barely touch. Just depends on my mood. Sometimes it's great to get back to the basics and listen to the first one. There's really alot to that first one.

If I was on a deserted island alone, I'd have to bring Graffiti and Presence. Between the two, I'd go with Presence. For some reason, that album, in it's entirety seams to fit the bill on my way home from work. Which is funny because my Zeppelin songs are on Graffiti.

Then there are time when you just have to have a 'Carouselambra' fix. Take Care.

I feel that same way about Houses of the Holy.

People call it their best effort... but Presence kicks its ass, and is so underrated it's not even funny.

Tea For One, 1976's SIBLY... should have been played live.

For Your Life? Show me a solo that is more strung out and emotional on any Zeppelin album... there's only a few. You can practically taste the blow that went into that song.

Achilles Last Stand... are you fucking kidding me right now? I practically jizz in my pants every 30 seconds during this thing.

Nobody's Fault But Mine. N-N N-N-N N-N N-NOOOOOOthing bad about this song.

Candy Store Rock just drips sex... Oh baby baby dontchya wanna man-a-like me you ask?... I'm not gay, but Robert, after hearing this, I definitely want man-a-like you.

For a relatively short album like this to pack so much heat is amazing. There is absolutely NO filler, a'la Physical Graffiti... and compare tracks to, say, anything off Houses of the Holy... none even come close... much more emotion and soul in Presence than their first couple albums too...

Page himself has even said that Presence was the closest they got to creating a masterpiece.

docron...love your post / reply to the question dude...posts like this seem to be few and far between. Thanks.

I wish everyone would just listen to all the albums and relate them to the music of the time. 1968 to 1976 was a strange time, but as they say, 'you had to live through it to appreciate it'. A hard thing to do in 2009, relate back to another era if you did not know what the early '70's were like.

Me...I must be the odd one out, I love every song from the first track on the first album to the last track on the last album. Now, I love my rock, but cant appreciate for the hell of me pop, jazz, country...but rock music, man, it presses all my buttons!!

ANYWAY...thanks Zep for the soundtrack to my youth and my adult life.

Take care people, and enjoy all of our Led Zeppelin.

Best regards from sunny Oz. B)

docron...love your post / reply to the question dude...posts like this seem to be few and far between. Thanks.

I wish everyone would just listen to all the albums and relate them to the music of the time. 1968 to 1976 was a strange time, but as they say, 'you had to live through it to appreciate it'. A hard thing to do in 2009, relate back to another era if you did not know what the early '70's were like.

Me...I must be the odd one out, I love every song from the first track on the first album to the last track on the last album. Now, I love my rock, but cant appreciate for the hell of me pop, jazz, country...but rock music, man, it presses all my buttons!!

ANYWAY...thanks Zep for the soundtrack to my youth and my adult life.

Take care people, and enjoy all of our Led Zeppelin.

Best regards from sunny Oz. B)

I don't know if I would totally agree that you had to live through it to appreciate it. I didn't live through a lot of music I listen to and I don't think it takes away my appreciation. I would say it probably offers a different perspective on it though. Just my thoughts.

I don't know if I would totally agree that you had to live through it to appreciate it. I didn't live through a lot of music I listen to and I don't think it takes away my appreciation. I would say it probably offers a different perspective on it though. Just my thoughts.

I lived through it and the only difference as far as the music goes was, it was new at the time.

IMO, every album mirrored what was happening as the band progressed during a particular period.

LZ I - New, Brash, LOUD and the "Shape of things to come".

LZ II - Polished, provocative, innovative and "NOW".

LZ III - Uncompromising, eclectic, personal and "Contemporary".

LZ IV - Established, monumental, groundbreaking and a "Must Have".

HOTH - Progressive, happy, positive and pure "Light and Shade".

PG - Exemplary, inspirational, faithful and the "Pinnacle of their success".

Presence - Visionary, prophetic, passionate and "The New Age".

ITTOD - Pen-ultimate, emotional, tragic and "Their Swan Song".

CODA - Underrated, honest, tributery and "The Missing Link".

I don't get the "this is better than that" mindset, appreciate everything for what it is.

You either dig it or you don't, it either moves you or it won't.

Believe me after 40 years the songs really do remain the same.

So, what's not to like?

I lived through it and the only difference as far as the music goes was, it was new at the time.

IMO, every album mirrored what was happening as the band progressed during a particular period.

I don't get the "this is better than that" mindset, appreciate everything for what it is.

So, what's not to like?

Nothing! You summed it up quite well.

Hey man....whereas HOTH has become one of my favorites over the years, Zep III doesn't appeal to me as much and I am currently starting to love Presence. It all matters on taste or the ear you have developed. I go through phases i think with some of the albums. Zeppelin is just great all around. :thumbsup:

That speaks volumes for the complete body of work. I have my favorite albums but that can change from week to week. There seems to be a Zeppelin album for every mood

That speaks volumes for the complete body of work. I have my favorite albums but that can change from week to week. There seems to be a Zeppelin album for every mood

Very true. Just shows how diverse it really is. Not many artists can say that.

Interesting...

Yes, I do know, thanks, docron, I was around at the time. :rolleyes:

Or at least, it's true that a lot of it wasn't recorded specifically for that album. But it was NOT just old stuff they felt like throwing onto an album (can you seriously imagine Jimmy Page doing that?!), which incidentally definesinsubstantial. It was material that hadn't previously fit, and now did, in that they had the double-album format on which to stretch out and include the kind of musical avenues, experiments, and subtleties that hadn't been possible on previous albums.

Very true. Just shows how diverse it really is. Not many artists can say that.

Not many at all ! It's the reason that I have a bit of an issue with the box set's and Mothership. They don't and can't give you an album experience

So, what's not to like?

Wow...might as well end the thread right here. Great job, Reg.

Not many at all ! It's the reason that I have a bit of an issue with the box set's and Mothership. They don't and can't give you an album experience

So much for "Best Of's". :rolleyes:

I reckon the "other" boxed set could've easily been referred to as a "Best Of".

Considering what's in it.

So much for "Best Of's". :rolleyes:

I reckon the "other" boxed set could've easily been referred to as a "Best Of".

Considering what's in it.

You nailed it Reg B)

Obviously, everybody will have their own set of adjectives to describe each album, so I'm not nitpicking here. Just wanted to say though that the reason we all adored II when it came out was because it wasn't polished, it was a rough diamond that rocked our brains out--it wasn't like the smooth Tin Pan Alley stuff we heard on the radio.

Other people's responses will be different , I know--fair enough! :beer:

Obviously, everybody will have their own set of adjectives to describe each album, so I'm not nitpicking here. Just wanted to say though that the reason we all adored II when it came out was because it wasn't polished, it was a rough diamond that rocked our brains out--it wasn't like the smooth Tin Pan Alley stuff we heard on the radio.

Still does ;):)

Polished in the sense the band had gelled into a formidable musical force because of extensive live peformances.

Of course it rocked but a rough diamond, dunno, raw perhaps.

IMO that pertains to I more than II.

Yes they certainly aren't Tin Pan Alley!

Back atchya! :beer:

Archived