Am I an oddity among Zep fans?

I have an oddity for you: Led Zeppelin's untitled effort has seen the least play out of my entire Led Zeppelin collection. Yes, entire.., meaning I have bootlegs containing little more than tape hiss that've seen more spins on the turntable.

If it weren't for me feeling guilty about it, I wouldn't use it for anything more than a conveniently flat tray to break up my weed on...

Well, lets be honest... it wouldn't even get that treatment because that's Led Zeppelin III's job. There's so much runaway grass stuck in that rotating picture wheel that it acts like a weed Pez dispenser every time it gets spun. In fact, I'm pretty convinced that this was it's original intent... it just happened to come with bonus LP you could listen to whilst smoking.

Zacron's Ultimate Weed Tray, just $14.95*

*after 10 dollar mail in rebate

Back to earth.

Sorry, untitled, I don't know what to tell you... you give me the least largest boner out of all the Zeppelin records. It's still a substantial boner, just not as big as it should be. You might not have known this, but you were just one good track away from me putting Cream's Disraeli Gears out in front of you... That would've been shitty, man, because I like the fact that I can say "here's my Led Zeppelin shelf... and down here is everything that's not Zeppelin". What the fuck good would it have been to have a "Led Zeppelin and 1 Cream album" shelf? It takes too fuckin' long to explain that, and my OCD would go nuts having things out of order. Luckily, Cream fucked up and closed their album with a detestable thing called "Mother's Lament", which totally saved me from having to swap you guys around.

Cream, if you're reading this: Who in the piss makes one of the best records of all time and closes it with a thing like Mother's Lament? Fuck guys... you were 1 track away from Led Zeppelin status. Bet you hate yourselves.

If it weren't for me feeling guilty about it, I wouldn't use it for anything more than a conveniently flat tray to break up my weed on...

Well, lets be honest... it wouldn't even get that treatment because that's Led Zeppelin III's job. There's so much runaway grass stuck in that rotating picture wheel that it acts like a weed Pez dispenser every time it gets spun. In fact, I'm pretty convinced that this was it's original intent... it just happened to come with bonus LP you could listen to whilst smoking.

Zacron's Ultimate Weed Tray, just $14.95*

*after 10 dollar mail in rebate

That's funny stuff. I always look forward to the wit, humor and sarcasm in your posts. BTW, back in the day I always used Coda for this. I think it had something to do with the great band photos in the gatefold.

I lived through it and the only difference as far as the music goes was, it was new at the time.

IMO, every album mirrored what was happening as the band progressed during a particular period.

LZ I - New, Brash, LOUD and the "Shape of things to come".

LZ II - Polished, provocative, innovative and "NOW".

LZ III - Uncompromising, eclectic, personal and "Contemporary".

LZ IV - Established, monumental, groundbreaking and a "Must Have".

HOTH - Progressive, happy, positive and pure "Light and Shade".

PG - Exemplary, inspirational, faithful and the "Pinnacle of their success".

Presence - Visionary, prophetic, passionate and "The New Age".

ITTOD - Pen-ultimate, emotional, tragic and "Their Swan Song".

CODA - Underrated, honest, tributery and "The Missing Link".

I don't get the "this is better than that" mindset, appreciate everything for what it is.

You either dig it or you don't, it either moves you or it won't.

Believe me after 40 years the songs really do remain the same.

So, what's not to like?

GREAT post!!!!!!!! :) And you're right...appreciate everything for what it is!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharon

I lived through it and the only difference as far as the music goes was, it was new at the time.

IMO, every album mirrored what was happening as the band progressed during a particular period.

LZ I - New, Brash, LOUD and the "Shape of things to come".

LZ II - Polished, provocative, innovative and "NOW".

LZ III - Uncompromising, eclectic, personal and "Contemporary".

LZ IV - Established, monumental, groundbreaking and a "Must Have".

HOTH - Progressive, happy, positive and pure "Light and Shade".

PG - Exemplary, inspirational, faithful and the "Pinnacle of their success".

Presence - Visionary, prophetic, passionate and "The New Age".

ITTOD - Pen-ultimate, emotional, tragic and "Their Swan Song".

CODA - Underrated, honest, tributery and "The Missing Link".

I don't get the "this is better than that" mindset, appreciate everything for what it is.

You either dig it or you don't, it either moves you or it won't.

Believe me after 40 years the songs really do remain the same.

So, what's not to like?

God damnnnnnnn. That's one heck of an analysis. This pretty much sums up what I feel, although I could not have been able to word my thoughts as well as you did.

Good job. :D

I can listen to all the LZ albums up to Presence without skipping a track.(Except for Four Sticks on IV and Night Flight on PG). Presence had some stuff I liked (My favourites being Tea for One, Nobodys Fault But Mine and Achilles last Stand, For your life) but the rest of the album I could skip through. After PG or maybe even HOTH LZ in my opinion began to stray away from the stuff I like. I can only listen to like 2 songs on ITTOD without thinking "wow...what had LZ become?". They sort of lost the touch of blues and acoustic melodies and jsut hard rocking hits to more synthesiser driven stuff.

That's just my opinion, but yeah i would much much rather pick the first 5 albums over the last three (thoguh I gotta admit some of the stuff on PG is great)

I can listen to all the LZ albums up to Presence without skipping a track.(Except for Four Sticks on IV and Night Flight on PG). Presence had some stuff I liked (My favourites being Tea for One, Nobodys Fault But Mine and Achilles last Stand, For your life) but the rest of the album I could skip through. After PG or maybe even HOTH LZ in my opinion began to stray away from the stuff I like. I can only listen to like 2 songs on ITTOD without thinking "wow...what had LZ become?". They sort of lost the touch of blues and acoustic melodies and jsut hard rocking hits to more synthesiser driven stuff.

That's just my opinion, but yeah i would much much rather pick the first 5 albums over the last three (thoguh I gotta admit some of the stuff on PG is great)

I'm Gonna Crawl is a pretty good example of Zep playing the blues. The thing is, they weren't just about playing the blues, or rock, or folk, or any one thing - they were always pushing the envelope and experimenting and blending different sounds. So ITTOD is really a natural progression of Zep moving in a new direction. It'd be a bit boring if they just did one sound IMO.

:blink:

If I may: I strongly feel those who skip tracks on Presence are missing out on some of Page's best guitar work.

The solos in all the less popular songs (Candy Store Rock, Hots On and Royal Orleans) are absolutely killer...

I have a feeling at least 50% (if not all) of the people who normally skip those tracks would find themselves appreciating album a whole lot more had they just give it a complete listen.

Zeppelin was album-rock, not singles-rock... definitely no time for Attention Deficit Disorder.

As for ITTOD, I'm Gonna Crawl is about the most emotional song they ever wrote, and should be on everyone's hot list.

Just my $0.02

An oddity? No. There is such variety to be found from one Zep album to the next that it's only normal that you aren't going to like them all equally. My own experience is that my favorite album of theirs isn't something that stays the same. Back twenty years ago I would have placed Presence as my least favorite album from Zeppelin. Now I place it near the top, with Tea for One (when is the last time you heard that one played on the radio?) in my top five favorite songs of theirs. Diversity is why I never get tired of LZ.

Definitely not an oddity, although CODA isn't my favorite album, the diversity of Led Zeppelin on every album makes them all amazing, I am a big fan of II myself but HotH is awesome too, I mean No Quarter!!! come on!

An oddity? No. There is such variety to be found from one Zep album to the next that it's only normal that you aren't going to like them all equally. My own experience is that my favorite album of theirs isn't something that stays the same. Back twenty years ago I would have placed Presence as my least favorite album from Zeppelin. Now I place it near the top, with Tea for One (when is the last time you heard that one played on the radio?) in my top five favorite songs of theirs. Diversity is why I never get tired of LZ.

I agree with you Reggie- when I first started listening to Zep, Presence was not one of my faves- in fact, it was the last studio album of theirs I got. But now, almost 30 years later, I love Presence- and would rather listen to it now over say, HOTH. Not that I dislike HOTH, not at all- but I just would rather listen to Presence.

Don't get me wrong, I love some songs from HotH, but overall it's my least favorite. I love Over the Hills~, D'Yer Mak'er, Dancing Days, and The Ocean. The rest of the songs are ok, but HotH is really the only Zep album I skip songs on.

i love it all too and at one point houses was maybe my least too but still greater than any band could fathom.. but it changes on which is my fav based on my mood really.. not a bad song by the boys

I was thinking about Coda this morning, and this is my theory:

I think that the guys released Coda to really kinda 'wrap it up'. To have one last album that spanned the whole life of the band. To say "this is it - it really is over" (as the simple title tells us). Maybe as a kind of closure, perhaps?

Anybody get what I'm trying to say?

You think you're odd because you're not too keen on a particular album? Pressure, much?

No, you're not an oddity. It took me (and possibly quite a few others) a while to really start to appreciate In Through The Out Door. A good few years or so. There's nothing wrong with you if you need more time or don't like a particular album. Shit, even the band didn't always warm to their own material - Living Loving Maid, Jimmy? That's kind of the beauty of Zeppelin - they were so diverse that they didn't always conform to a particular genre. There was no guarantee that any one album would sound exactly like the next. And don't you just love it?

Embrace what you do like and don't try and pressure yourself into listening to that which you don't like. One day, I'll bet, you'll come across HOTH again and listen to it in completely different light than you did previously. It's happened to the best of us. And it's wonderful 'discovering' it all over again.

You're not odd - you're human.

You think you're odd because you're not too keen on a particular album? Pressure, much?

No, you're not an oddity. It took me (and possibly quite a few others) a while to really start to appreciate In Through The Out Door. A good few years or so. There's nothing wrong with you if you need more time or don't like a particular album. Shit, even the band didn't always warm to their own material - Living Loving Maid, Jimmy? That's kind of the beauty of Zeppelin - they were so diverse that they didn't always conform to a particular genre. There was no guarantee that any one album would sound exactly like the next. And don't you just love it?

Embrace what you do like and don't try and pressure yourself into listening to that which you don't like. One day, I'll bet, you'll come across HOTH again and listen to it in completely different light than you did previously. It's happened to the best of us. And it's wonderful 'discovering' it all over again.

You're not odd - you're human.

:yesnod: :yesnod:

I was thinking about Coda this morning, and this is my theory:

I think that the guys released Coda to really kinda 'wrap it up'. To have one last album that spanned the whole life of the band. To say "this is it - it really is over" (as the simple title tells us). Maybe as a kind of closure, perhaps?

Anybody get what I'm trying to say?

I get what you're trying to say--but I don't think the album was intended to span the life of the band, it was just that they owed Atlantic one more album, and had various tracks lying around that hadn't made it onto albums; Jimmy said, "Coda was released, basically, because there was so much bootleg stuff out. We thought, "Well, if there's that much interest, then we may as well put the rest of our studio stuff out".

from favourite to least favourite

II

IV

III

I or Houses of the Holy

Physical Graffiti

Presence or In Through the Out Door

and I haven't got Coda yet

Houses of the Holy is made twice as good coz of The Ocean, that's one of my favourites, Over the Hills and Far Away, The Song Remains the Same are both good, No Quarter doesn't sound catchy but it's got good tones

from favourite to least favourite

II

IV

III

I or Houses of the Holy

Physical Graffiti

Presence or In Through the Out Door

and I haven't got Coda yet

Houses of the Holy is made twice as good coz of The Ocean, that's one of my favourites, Over the Hills and Far Away, The Song Remains the Same are both good, No Quarter doesn't sound catchy but it's got good tones

No Quarter is my favorite on the album though I think the magnitude of the song comes through much more live.

I adore Presence, too--but (and I know I've said this before , sorry) NOTHING on PG is filler.

Hey-Up Aqua,

Agree with alot that has been said on this topic, we are all different, but thats what Zep did best, Change, & did it Bloody well & managed to stick to there Blues roots.. But thats why we still / & always will love the band :notworthy:.

There are "Good Times Bad Times" when i Flog an album to death, then leave it for month or so, & then play another to with-in an Inch of its life, Then just pick a 12" to play a track,as alot of us older ones on here, Who saw the Band, every song brings back a memory like a smell reminds you of a place or a person.

Led Zeppelin isnt or never will be just a Band, Led Zeppelin are the Original Band that not only changed Music, but changed the World. Good on'ya Chaps. :notworthy:

All the best,

Hang-man :ph34r:

Listen to the album more. HOTH is one of their best. The Rain Song is epic , over the hills and far away rocks while No Quarter is about the darkess mood song they ever wrote.. Very diverse album.

Plus the Song Remains the same sounds amazing on Jimmy's 12 string...

Coda simply has too little going for it to contend IMO. Then again Physical Graffiti is my favorite album. :)

Interesting...

... you do know that upwards of 50% of it was old material that was never finished or didn't fit on or wasn't good enough for any previous album.

It's not filler in the sense that it's unsubstantial.., but it is filler in that it was old work they had laying around they just felt like throwing onto an album.

In a sense, Physical Graffiti was half album, half 1975 version of CODA.

Hey-Up,

Just looking on what you said, if you ever manage to get hold of "The Lost Mixes or Complete MP3" collections, you will hear a lot of the Un-finished material, in its, Started-Mid, & Finished form. Also i've found a Wonderful CD full

of the "Un-finished" work on Physical. This being the Greatest Ever Album Made, & is good to hear the Hard Work that went in to it. CODA means "the end of" & it too is an Album to be cherrished, as are they all.

We are just the Listeners to what was Created on the 8th Day.

All the best,

Hang-man. :ph34r:

Archived