Hamburg 1973 new tape?

olvator

Hi all,

I am not the TOTAL Led Zep connoisseur, so you folks might be able to help me out with some info. 15 years or so ago I got two cassettes from someone here in Hamburg who was (one of) the original(s) taper of the Hamburg 1973-03-21 show. I have always wondered whther this source has widely circulated. The info that I could get from the net was that the circulating audience source was incomplete, and versions of this show would be extended by the existing sdb source of the show. I also found some notes saying that there were cassette copies floating around which have RocknRoll and Over the Hills as opening numbers but "it has been reseached that these two tracks were actually from Offenburg". Well, my copy also has these two tracks as an opener, but they are definitely from the same Hamburg show, no cuts, nothing. Also, as I said, I got these from the original taper and they are 2nd gen(the taper had copied his reels onto cassettes along the way in the 70ties.) There are some speed fluctuations, but they could be fixed as they are not "shaking" but steady longer portions of slow down on the source tape ( I think I recall the taper hid the reel deck in a bag, and the reels scratched the bag slightly and were slowed down, but thank God in a very constant mode whenever it happened)...

I will try to put up a sample later. if anyone could in the meantime give me more info about the setlist and timing of just the audience portion, that would be great, thanks

thanks, hope to hear..

olvator

^ I found this online at the great site the Led Zeppelin Database:

MARCH 21 - MUSIKHALLE, HAMBURG, GERMANY (WEDNESDAY 8pm)

Recording Includes: Out On The Tiles Intro [ 0:12 ] >> Black Dog [ 5:20 ], Misty Mountain Hop [ 4:56 ] >> Since I've Been Loving You [ 8:16 ], Dancing Days [ 3:50 ], [ cut ], Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp (<< That's The Way..) [ 5:09 ], [ edit ], Layla tease, The Song Remains The Same [ 5:38 ] >> The Rain Song [ 6:40 - cut ], [ edit ], Dazed And Confused (<< San Francisco, Bring It On Home.. ) [ 27:26 - cut ], [ cut ], Whole Lotta Love (<< The Crunge, Cold Sweat, Everybody Needs Somebody To Love, D'yer Mak'er, Boogie Chillun, Baby I Don't Care, Let's Have A Party [ cut ], I Can't Quit You Baby [ cut ], The Lemon Song..) [ 26:26 ], [ cut ], The Ocean [ 2:31 - cut ].

Source: Incomplete fair to good audience recording. 104 minutes.

Details: The recording is distant and muffled. The distance creates a slight echo that clutters the sound. The instruments are lacking good definition and are highly overloaded by the bass notes.

Recording Includes: Dazed And Confused [ cut ] (<< San Francisco, Bring It On Home..), Stairway To Heaven [ cut ], [ cut ], (an excerpt from Whole Lotta Love medley): [ cut ] The Crunge >> Cold Sweat >> Everybody Needs Somebody To Love >> D'yer Mak'er >> Boogie Chillun >> Baby I Don't Care >> Let's Have A Party >> I Can't Quit You Baby >> The Lemon Song >> Whole Lotta Love.

Source: Incomplete excellent soundboard recording. 56 minutes.

Details: The recording is excellent beside of being a bit hissy during the quiet passages. Well balanced.

Archived