BBC Sessions " The Girl I love..."

Jeff George

I have searched this high and low so now I'm hoping you Zep fans can give me the information I need... Does anyone know for sure which exact guitar and amp type Jimmy used on the BBC Sessions tune, "The Girl I love She Got Long Black Wavy Hair?" Also, what effects, if any? It sounds pretty much like an over driven VOX and a Les Paul but I'm not sure. I'm wondering if it was his 59 Paul in split coil mode or his 59 in humbucker mode, or some other guitar all together... and the type of amp. I am aware of all the amps Jimmy was known to use and I'm aware of his preference for effects. I'm looking for info on this song specifically. I can finally play the entire tune and want to improve on the tone... I'm using a AC30 with a Les Paul Standard...490/498 pick ups. I have used a SG, Tele, and a Strat and so far the Les Paul sounds the closest. Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks! :stereo:

http://wholelottaled.webs.com/guitars.htm

I personally do not think Jimmy Page ever owned a 58 Les Paul. I think both his #1 and #2 were 59 Les Paul Bursts. I think this because when Gibson recreated both guitars in the 90's and then again in early 2000's, the specs matched up to a 1959 Les Paul. Not a 58.

He used a Vox AC30 around that time(1969) among many other amps. I am using the same amp. But I can't get that same tone. It's very nerve racking. I have tried different tuning, several Gibson guitars, effects, and nothing sounds like that BBC recorded song. I will be shocked if someone actually can answer this.

The Girl I Love was recorded on 6-16-69, and he bought #1 in April of 69 and it became the "workhorse" for anything not done in a studio so I assume it was recorded with # 1. As far as the amps, between June/July of 69 the live amps were changed from Marshall to Hiwatt. As far as getting his tone, the pickups in your Les Paul are a little to bright and brittle, look into some P.A.F. type of pickups. Also you may want to look into "50s Style Wiring" for your Les Paul.

I played a Gibson Jimmy Page Signature. $13,900 Used. It was a Murphy aged. I had to act like I could afford it. I plugged it in to a bunch of tube amps. Vox AC, Marshall Super Lead, Orange, Fender... still could not get the tone from that song. I think he is using fuzz... or it's some recording engineer's secret. I have been able to duplicate Jimmy's tone on a bunch of songs, but not that one. I give up.

The pedals he was using at the time would be a Tone Bender MRK II,Echoplex, and a Vox wah. Those pedals where used with a Telecaster and #1. (Tone Bender dropped for live shows in 70) I still think it is #1 and Marshall, with the tone bender. The one thing to always remember when "chasing tone" is that "tone" is also in the fingers. As far as split coils, phsae and any other push pull pots, #1 and #2 where outfitted with them post Zeppelin.

The pedals he was using at the time would be a Tone Bender MRK II,Echoplex, and a Vox wah. Those pedals where used with a Telecaster and #1. (Tone Bender dropped for live shows in 70) I still think it is #1 and Marshall, with the tone bender. The one thing to always remember when "chasing tone" is that "tone" is also in the fingers. As far as split coils, phsae and any other push pull pots, #1 and #2 where outfitted with them post Zeppelin.

Thats not true. He had a push/pull pot and his selector switch in the middle position put #2 out of phase. As far as the other switches, youre right. That was after Zep.

#2 had 4 push/pulls and 2 pick guard switches installed in 1981, #1 had 1 push/pull for phase installed the early 90s. The only guitar with wiring mods during Zep would be his 60 Custom, and that had 3 toggle switches in place of the pickup selector switch. ........now back to the original question, the more I think about it The Girl I Love does sound like it could be his 60 Custom and a Marshall

Archived