Patterson Hood (Drive-By Truckers) Top 10 of 2007

Jahfin

PATTERSON HOOD'S TOP TEN NEW ALBUMS (+REISSUES / UNRELEASES / DISQUALIFIERS and honorable mentions)

Every year I find myself compiling a list of my favorite albums and other things.

Compared to 06, this year was a little bit anti-climactic, only because last year had such a bounty of amazing albums and even better films.

That said, the albums, movies and other things on this list would make for a stellar year at any point in my memory.

Apologies to the better movies I haven't yet seen or better albums I haven't yet heard. I bought a lot of music and saw a good number of films, but there's only so many hours in a day.

I always revise my lists later and that could surely happen again this year.

Stay Tuned.

PATTERSON HOOD - TOP TEN (new releases) 2007

1. IRON AND WINE - THE SHEPHERDS DOG - An incredible album that rewards multiple listens and my pick for the best album of the year.

2. RADIOHEAD - IN RAINBOWS - My close pick for second favorite. After all the hype of how it was released (or not), the album stands on its own as their best work since Kid A, maybe better.

3. WILCO - SKY BLUE SKY - Their best studio album. Even better when

played live. Possibly the best band in America.

4. VIC CHESNUTT - NORTH STAR DESERTER - I've been saying this is his

finest since West of Rome (1992) but upon further listening, this is

his best album ever.

5. SPOON -GA GA GA GA GA - My vote for most fun album of year. Great live act also.

6. WHITE STRIPES - ICKY THUMP - Their finest album yet. inventive and a total blast.

7. RICKIE LEE JONES - THE SERMON ON EXPOSITION AVE. - Her finest album since 1981's masterpiece Pirates. Beautiful and inspiring.

8. PORTER WAGONER - WAGONMASTER - Thank God, he got to make this album before his sad departure this year. Kudos to Anti Records and Marty Stuart for making this happen.

9. BO BEDDINGFIELD AND THE WYDELLES - CLEARGREEN - Hard to find, self released EP from Athens GA. Well worth seeking out for great writing, singing and playing.

10. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - MAGIC - Best Springsteen album since Nebraska, his best Rock album since The River. A little over-produced, but still essential.

REISSUES / UNRELEASES / DISQUALIFIERS and honorable mentions

SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE - THERE'S A RIOT GOING ON (reissue) - My most listened to album of year and a revelation.

DEXATEENS - SINGLEWIDE - (unreleased) Not the one I co-produced. This one is newer, better and still unreleased (produced by Mark Nevers). A total departure and fantastic. Look for it in 08.

BIG STAR - 3RD - (vinyl reissue, correct sequence) Finally, the correct order, or at least the best sequence I've ever heard. A masterpiece that sounds MUCH better on vinyl.

PATTI GRIFFIN - CHILDREN RUNNING THROUGH - An amazing artist at her best. The duet w/ Emmylou sends chills at every listen.

PJ HARVEY - WHITE CHALK - A quiet subdued beautiful work of art. Her best in 7 years.

ECCENTRIC SOUL vol. 7 - HOME SCHOOLED (The ABC's of Kid Soul) - This is exactly what it says, the kid groups that didn't hit it big like the Jacksons. Incredible.

BETTYE LAVETTE - THE SCENE OF THE CRIME - I couldn't really put this in my top ten, as my band and my Dad played on it and I co-produced it, but it really deserves special mention and "Talking Old Soldiers" would have put it in my top ten had I not been in any way involved.

MOVIES / LIVE SHOWS / BOOKS and WHATNOTS

SCHULZ AND PEANUTS by David Michaelis Great book on the creator of Charlie Brown. A fine glimpse into the relationship between a life and art.

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (Film by Joel and Ethan Coen / Novel by Cormac McCarthy)- My fave film of year and an incredible timeless read by one of the best living authors.

EASTERN PROMISES (film by David Cronenberg) - Terrifying and suspenseful movie.

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN AND THE E. STREET BAND - United Center, Chicago IL 10/21/07 Still the best arena rock show in the world.

NEKO CASE (w/ Jon Rauhouse and Kelly Hogan) - Hi Tone, Memphis TN Friday 4/13/07 My favorite album last year and favorite club show this year. Can't wait til next year.

THE WAR - Documentary by Ken Burns 16+ hours of WW2 through the eyes of 4 American towns.

TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS - Documentary DVD by Peter Bogdonovich (Director's Cut) 4 hr. documentary on an American treasure. A reminder of how great he's always been.

WILCO - Austin City Limits Taping , Austin TX 9/15/07 As fine as their new album is, they're even better live.

PATTERSON HOOD'S TOP TEN NEW ALBUMS (+REISSUES / UNRELEASES / DISQUALIFIERS and honorable mentions)

Every year I find myself compiling a list of my favorite albums and other things.

Compared to 06, this year was a little bit anti-climactic, only because last year had such a bounty of amazing albums and even better films.

That said, the albums, movies and other things on this list would make for a stellar year at any point in my memory.

Apologies to the better movies I haven't yet seen or better albums I haven't yet heard. I bought a lot of music and saw a good number of films, but there's only so many hours in a day.

I always revise my lists later and that could surely happen again this year.

Stay Tuned.

PATTERSON HOOD - TOP TEN (new releases) 2007

1. IRON AND WINE - THE SHEPHERDS DOG - An incredible album that rewards multiple listens and my pick for the best album of the year.

2. RADIOHEAD - IN RAINBOWS - My close pick for second favorite. After all the hype of how it was released (or not), the album stands on its own as their best work since Kid A, maybe better.

3. WILCO - SKY BLUE SKY - Their best studio album. Even better when

played live. Possibly the best band in America.

4. VIC CHESNUTT - NORTH STAR DESERTER - I've been saying this is his

finest since West of Rome (1992) but upon further listening, this is

his best album ever.

5. SPOON -GA GA GA GA GA - My vote for most fun album of year. Great live act also.

6. WHITE STRIPES - ICKY THUMP - Their finest album yet. inventive and a total blast.

7. RICKIE LEE JONES - THE SERMON ON EXPOSITION AVE. - Her finest album since 1981's masterpiece Pirates. Beautiful and inspiring.

8. PORTER WAGONER - WAGONMASTER - Thank God, he got to make this album before his sad departure this year. Kudos to Anti Records and Marty Stuart for making this happen.

9. BO BEDDINGFIELD AND THE WYDELLES - CLEARGREEN - Hard to find, self released EP from Athens GA. Well worth seeking out for great writing, singing and playing.

10. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - MAGIC - Best Springsteen album since Nebraska, his best Rock album since The River. A little over-produced, but still essential.

REISSUES / UNRELEASES / DISQUALIFIERS and honorable mentions

SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE - THERE'S A RIOT GOING ON (reissue) - My most listened to album of year and a revelation.

DEXATEENS - SINGLEWIDE - (unreleased) Not the one I co-produced. This one is newer, better and still unreleased (produced by Mark Nevers). A total departure and fantastic. Look for it in 08.

BIG STAR - 3RD - (vinyl reissue, correct sequence) Finally, the correct order, or at least the best sequence I've ever heard. A masterpiece that sounds MUCH better on vinyl.

PATTI GRIFFIN - CHILDREN RUNNING THROUGH - An amazing artist at her best. The duet w/ Emmylou sends chills at every listen.

PJ HARVEY - WHITE CHALK - A quiet subdued beautiful work of art. Her best in 7 years.

ECCENTRIC SOUL vol. 7 - HOME SCHOOLED (The ABC's of Kid Soul) - This is exactly what it says, the kid groups that didn't hit it big like the Jacksons. Incredible.

BETTYE LAVETTE - THE SCENE OF THE CRIME - I couldn't really put this in my top ten, as my band and my Dad played on it and I co-produced it, but it really deserves special mention and "Talking Old Soldiers" would have put it in my top ten had I not been in any way involved.

MOVIES / LIVE SHOWS / BOOKS and WHATNOTS

SCHULZ AND PEANUTS by David Michaelis Great book on the creator of Charlie Brown. A fine glimpse into the relationship between a life and art.

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (Film by Joel and Ethan Coen / Novel by Cormac McCarthy)- My fave film of year and an incredible timeless read by one of the best living authors.

EASTERN PROMISES (film by David Cronenberg) - Terrifying and suspenseful movie.

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN AND THE E. STREET BAND - United Center, Chicago IL 10/21/07 Still the best arena rock show in the world.

NEKO CASE (w/ Jon Rauhouse and Kelly Hogan) - Hi Tone, Memphis TN Friday 4/13/07 My favorite album last year and favorite club show this year. Can't wait til next year.

THE WAR - Documentary by Ken Burns 16+ hours of WW2 through the eyes of 4 American towns.

TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS - Documentary DVD by Peter Bogdonovich (Director's Cut) 4 hr. documentary on an American treasure. A reminder of how great he's always been.

WILCO - Austin City Limits Taping , Austin TX 9/15/07 As fine as their new album is, they're even better live.

Love that DVD

Archived