Journey

JOURNEY: Audio Samples Of All 'Revelation' And Bonus-Disc Tracks Available

A new chapter in the legendary career of multi-platinum rockers JOURNEY — Neal Schon (guitar), Jonathan Cain (keyboards), Ross Valory (bass), Deen Castronovo (drums) and Arnel Pineda (vocals) — will begin on June 3 with the highly anticipated release of "Revelation", a three-disc CD and DVD package to be sold exclusively at Wal-Mart stores in North America.

The first disc will consist of 11 re-recorded classics, the second is filled with 11 new songs, and the third is a live, in-concert DVD. All of the music on "Revelation" was produced by Kevin Shirley (who previously worked with JOURNEY on their platinum-certified "Trial By Fire" album).

"Revelation" is the first JOURNEY album to feature the angelic voice of Pineda. Schon says about him, "We feel reborn. I think there's a lot of chemistry between the five of us. The new stuff sounds tremendous. Everyone's so stoked about it. We feel very fortunate to have found Arnel."

"Arnel brings a soulful and passionate voice to JOURNEY," continues keyboardist Jonathan Cain. "His personality is very well-suited to our music. He's a sincere, authentic person with a great smile and a big heart. I think fans are really going to love him. With Arnel's soaring tenor, JOURNEY returns to our heritage sound."

According to a press release, "Revelation" is JOURNEY running on no less than twelve cylinders, a fine-tuned offering that sounds every bit like a band hitting their stride. Schon and Cain penned all 11 of the new tracks on "Revelation". There is no lack of chemistry in JOURNEY, beginning with the songwriting core of Schon and Cain. "I felt strongly about moving forward and writing new material. It was time," Schon states. Schon then put the call into Cain and started the song writing process which has now become the album "Revelation". "There's an innate trust and respect for what we each do as we weave our way through this music," says Cain. Schon adds, "In the alphabet, I might be a Z and Jonathan the A, that's just how opposite we are musically sometimes. I write mostly rock and Jonathan writes most of the ballads, but when you combine the chemistry of us together, you'll find that it is the nucleus and sound of what is and has been JOURNEY. And now, with the right voice in place, we have all the right ingredients."

"Never Walk Away" kicks "Revelation" off with the resilient air and upbeat optimism fans have come to expect from JOURNEY, a melody-soaked and guitar-driven anthem sure to ignite the live circuit just as it lights up the new release. The heartwarming sentiment offered by "Like a Sunshower" gives a more poetic and reflective look at relationships. It's an uncharacteristic ballad from the more hard rock-inclined Schon. There's even an instrumental, "The Journey (Revelation)", at the request of producer Kevin Shirley, who returns to the fold after working with the band on "Trial By Fire" (1996) and "Arrival" (2000), the band's first instrumental since "Departure" (1980) and "Evolution" (1979). "This is a special song for me", Schon says of the sprawling track, "it was extremely gratifying to express myself on my instrument in this way". This is a great performance from everyone in the band and truly a majestic track.

But every member of JOURNEY shines on the whole of "Revelation". Lead singer Arnel Pineda does plenty of head turning of his own throughout the new recordings, as well as the 11 classic hits that the band re-recorded. Jonathan Cain's keyboards elevate "After All These Years" to new emotional heights. "What I Needed" is a power ballad, driven by heavy guitars, reminiscent of the early JOURNEY that so many bands have modeled themselves after. Deen Castronovo drums up a frenzy during the hard-driving rock song, "Wildest Dream". The talented Castronovo also sings most of the high harmonies heard throughout the album, proving that not only is he an amazing drummer, but he's a dynamic vocalist as well. Schon's smoking guitars rip through this track with a cool, eastern flavor. Bassist Ross Valory is steady throughout, a stabilizing force through the albums more driven highs and heartfelt lows.

"Revelation" track listing:

CD1:

01. Never Walk Away

02. Like A Sunshower

03. Change For The Better

04. Wildest Dream

05. Faith In The Heartland

06. After All These Years

07. Where Did I Lose Your Love

08. What I Needed

09. What It Takes To Win

10. Turn Down The World Tonight

11. The Journey (Revelation)

CD2:

01. Only The Young

02. Don't Stop Believin'

03. Wheel In The Sky

04. Faithfully

05. Any Way You Want It

06. Who's Crying Now

07. Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)

08. Lights

09. Open Arms

10. Be Good To Yourself

11. Stone In Love

Check out audio samples of all the songs that appear on CD1 and CD2 at this location.

Archived