The facts about JP wiring?

Bluesyzep

I thought I was clear about this from speaking with other members here and elsewhere. I thought that #2 had the 4 push/pulls and under pickguard switch for coil-splits and in/out of phase. I thought that #1 was stock. Additionally I just saw a documentary on the Tom Murphy JP replicas in which they had the push/pulls which part of what prompted the question. I've also seen youtubers that split the coil at the tone and control and others at the volume control. Personal preference maybe but what is the correct way?

I took this from Jimmy Page gear guide found at the top of this forum:

Number 1's Wiring

#1 had NO push pulls or additional switching installed during Led Zeppelin. You will never see him doing any pushing or pulling only turning. A push/pull was added in the bridge tone control position sometime post Led Zeppelin, exactly when isn't clear. The general idea was the mid to late 80's but when Page was working with David Coverdale in the early 90's, Page mentioned having trouble getting the tone for the song "Take Me For A Little While." He explained in a Guitar World interview he pulled out #2 for to use the pickups out of phase. Given that piece of info, it would almost seem as if the push/pull wasn't installed on #1 until the early-mid 90's, the earliest video I've found of him using a push/pull on #1 was in 1995. What the push/pull was for is another debate. Page himself said the push/pull was for phase switching, modeling it after Number 2's phase switching abilities after deciding that was really the only extra switching option he used on his #2 Les Paul which had wiring mods done in the early 80's. Also he mentions how the push/pull got him a Peter Green tone and how he could go back to full whack (his words) in phase mode. However on the latest signature model that replicates #1 (NOT the 90's model) it's for coil splitting the bridge pickup with the middle position being out of phase. Gibson claims that is how his was setup when they looked over. Recent videos of Page performing seem to point to the push/pull being for phase switching. I would like to also stress his middle position through Led Zeppelin remained in phase as well.

The hype about him employing the full "Jimmy Page Wiring" on #1 stems from a number of things. For one, a 1982 article on his guitar mentions all the wiring mods on #2, one could easily think that was his main Les Paul or that he also had done that to his #1. The Gibson signature from the 90's contributed a little too. It was setup with the full wiring mods. Without detailed knowledge of his LPs someone could easily think that was how his Les Pauls were setup during Led Zeppelin because the guitar was passed off as a Jimmy Page Signature. Over the years many magazines have also copied the same misinformation on the wiring mods, the same wrong info eventually found it's way on to the internet as well and really is basically still circulated today.

And from what I understand, Jimmy had the custom wiring job done after Led Zeppelin disbanded, anyways.

#1 - Single push pull added in the 1990's for phase switching, added to the bridge tone control position. Page clearly states in a video for the Gibson replica it's for phase switching despite Gibson completely screwing it up on the replica claiming it was for coil splitting.

#2 - 2 switches under the pickguard for series/parallel wiring and phase switching. 4 push/pulls for coil splitting and putting all 4 coils in parallel. Done in either 1980 or 1981.

...I've also seen youtubers that split the coil at the tone and control and others at the volume control. Personal preference maybe but what is the correct way?

Well, if you mod your own guitar you are free to put the controls anyway that you want.

No one knows - and I mean no one outside of Page's own circle - which push/pulls are specifically for what on the #2. We know what they do (see link above, which is correct) but not what's on which knob.

Frankly, who cares.

As for #1 & the Gibson JPP signature models, there is some mystery: Page himself says specifically that the single push/pull (bridge tone) is for phase. Gibson employees (& I'm talking about the ones who actually had #1 in their hands to duplicate) swear blind that at the time that they saw #1 the switch was for series parrallel wiring of the bridge pickup. Their website & promotional material further muddled things up by making contradictory claims: first it was series/parallel, then it was a coil split (both will produce a similar sound, anyway). Just the usual fun & games.

Anyway, that link posted above is as acurate as you can find, so go with that.

• 1 month later...

Archived