New Cracker Album

Jahfin

I'm a big fan as well yet I've never seen 'em live despite having ample opportunity to, including way back when they were touring with Counting Crows when August and Everything After first came out. I also had a chance to see Lowery's previous band, Camper Van Beethoven when they opened for 10,000 Maniacs in '89 but those plans went awry and I was unable to make the show.

I'm a big fan as well yet I've never seen 'em live despite having ample opportunity to, including way back when they were touring with Counting Crows when August and Everything After first came out. I also had a chance to see Lowery's previous band, Camper Van Beethoven when they opened for 10,000 Maniacs in '89 but those plans went awry and I was unable to make the show.

I saw Camper Van Beethoven but I can't remember who else was on the bill. It was many moons ago!

I heard...a song...possibly the new single on XM today - I liked it a lot! Uh, were they always alt-country? The only song I know I've heard from them before is Low (of course), and that's nothing like this. Was that like a one-off thing to try to sell some records, or did they make a big change to doing country stuff all of the sudden? Anyway, Low is a great song, but I think I like this style better, actually.

I saw Camper Van Beethoven but I can't remember who else was on the bill. It was many moons ago!

They've done some reunion shows in recent years (sometimes with Cracker on the same bill) but I've always managed to miss 'em. A third Lowery incarnation also often appeared on those same tours called Ironic Mullet. I'm pretty sure it was with that particular band in mind that Cracker cut their album Countrysides that included their takes on everything from Up Against the Wall, Redneck Mothers to tunes by Hank, Jr. and Dwight Yoakam. They'd even go as far as playing backroad dives and biker bars under the Ironic Mullet guise. During those tours with Camper and Cracker they would also apparently don disguises and open the shows as Ironic Mullet.

I was just looking up stuff for this post and ran across a couple of cool articles, one of which mentions the Grateful Dead had been learning Cracker's Euro-Trash Girl but it never made it into any of their sets.

I heard...a song...possibly the new single on XM today - I liked it a lot! Uh, were they always alt-country? The only song I know I've heard from them before is Low (of course), and that's nothing like this. Was that like a one-off thing to try to sell some records, or did they make a big change to doing country stuff all of the sudden? Anyway, Low is a great song, but I think I like this style better, actually.

Check this link (which is one of the articles I mentioned above) for a very well written history of Cracker. To answer your question, I'd say they have many different sides, one of which leans very heavily on country.

Q & A With David Lowery

crackerb550.jpg

David Lowery has, for the past decade or so, maintained a healthy career as a split musical personality. When he isn’t playing laconic, country-tinged pop with his band of 25 years, Camper Van Beethoven, he’s thrashing away at his guitar as the frontman for Cracker, the rock outfit that’s releasing its 10th studio album, Sunrise In The Land Of Milk And Honey, this week. MAGNET chatted with Lowery about the new album, his advice for any wannabe musicians and his take on the state of the music industry. Lowery will add another line to his resume this week as he guest edits magnetmagazine.com.

To read the interview with David Lowrey click here.