Breeders’ Long-Awaited “Mountain Battles” Due April ‘08

Jahfin

17518642-17518649-slarge.jpg

[Photo: Getty]

Caryn Ganz

The album Kim Deal has been working on since 2002 is nearly ready for release: The Breeders’ fourth full-length, titled Mountain Battles, will hit stores April 8th, 2008 on 4AD, the label she started out on as a member of Pixies. In an exclusive interview with Rock Daily, Deal revealed the band — which now consists of herself, twin sister Kelley, drummer Jose Medeles and bassist Mando Lopez — has been recording on and off for the past five years with Steve Albini in Chicago as well as Erika Sharkey and Manny Nieto in Los Angeles and her Dayton, Ohio, hometown (Lopez’s Fear bandmate, guitarist Richard Presley, has left the band to “sell Porches in L.A. — he loves his job, by the way”).

You can read the rest of the article here:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/inde...es-due-april-08

Hmm, I'm not sure if this is good news or not. The Breeders were only mildly interesting the first time around so I'm personally not real excited about this. Especially since after seeing how "toned down" The Pixies were after they reunited, the shows I attended were like Pixies Lite.

Though they did play at one of the best shows I've ever seen, Nirvana-Melvins-Breeders in '93.

Hmm, I'm not sure if this is good news or not. The Breeders were only mildly interesting the first time around

The first time around?

Anyways, I disagree on pretty much every point. The Breeders have always been pretty great (much much much better than Frank Black's solo excursions), and I'm looking forward to the new album.

As far as the Pixies go, when I saw them on their reunion tour I thought they were a well-oiled pop machine. They chugged through a shit load of songs and sounded good. No complaints.

The first time around?

I guess you missed the part where the band was inactive for a few years? Unless you count the band Kim called the Breeders that was essentially The Amps renamed. IMO despite trying to get it together any new version of the band has failed to live up to the potential of the early lineups. And wow you must be a hardcore fan if you think anything the Breeders did was better than Teenager Of The Year.

Don't get me wrong I like the Breeders I've just never thought they were all that special, the mach 1 version received alot of press for being an all girl supergroup and Pod was just so so compared to the other stuff being released at that time, though the Safari EP and Last Splash were pretty solid. But yeha they haven't done much besides break up and reform since 1995 with very little output.

I guess you missed the part where the band was inactive for a few years? Unless you count the band Kim called the Breeders that was essentially The Amps renamed. IMO despite trying to get it together any new version of the band has failed to live up to the potential of the early lineups.

That's the thing, I don't see how you can say this release is any different than the first time around. Or the second. Or the third.The Breeders line-up has always been revolving. They released records in 90, 93, 95 (if you count the Amps as the Breeders, which for all intensive purposes I do...Pacer is basically a Breeders album with a different supporting cast) and 2002. All with changes in the band. Besides all that Title TK is a good and underrated record. So we're talking 1995 to 2002, and 2002 to 2008 between albums. That's like the amount of time it takes Tool to release albums. :mellow: Not exactly prolific, but not exactly breaking up and reuniting 20 years later either.

And wow you must be a hardcore fan if you think anything the Breeders did was better than Teenager Of The Year.

Not really a "hardcore" Breeders fan. Whatever that means. Frank Black has some good songs, but I also find the majority of his solo stuff incredibly bland and unremarkable. Horribly inconsistent. Between Teenager of the Year, his first album Frank Black, and the various other albums I've heard from him, I hear about one album of material worth listening to.

I prefer the Breeders. The songwriting, the quirkiness, their catchiness, the endearing quality they have about them. Frank Black solo stuff is just so...bleh.

Don't get me wrong I like the Breeders I've just never thought they were all that special, the mach 1 version received alot of press for being an all girl supergroup and Pod was just so so compared to the other stuff being released at that time, though the Safari EP and Last Splash were pretty solid.

Pod was so-so compared to other stuff being released at the time? Sure, there are better things out there. It's still a damn fine album. Damn fine.

Archived