Neil Young to get special Grammy

cp-young-neil.jpg

Young has never captured a Grammy as a solo artist.

The Toronto-born Young, who was a member of Buffalo Springfield and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, will be handed the 2010 MusiCares Person of the Year trophy at next year's gala.

The award recognizes artistic achievements as well as philanthropic work.

"Neil has set a standard of artistic integrity and iconoclastic creativity for more than four decades, and his achievements have been matched by his unwavering humanitarianism," said Recording Academy president Neil Portnow in a statement on Tuesday. The Recording Academy is the organization behind the Grammys.

"He is a shining example of how music people offer their creative gifts to the world, and how they also give back through their commitments to charitable endeavours."

The 63-year-old musician — whose hits include Cinnamon Girl, Rockin' in the Free World, Heart of Gold and Old Man —has organized various charity events over the years and is a well-known social activist.

Young co-founded the benefit Farm Aid concert in 1985 and a year later, helped create The Bridge School, which assists physically challenged children.

Young and his wife Pegi organize a concert every October to benefit the school located in Hillsborough, Calif. Both of their sons have cerebral palsy and their daughter has epilepsy.

In 2006 he released the anti-war album, Living With War, which included the politically charged song Let's Impeach the President, a not-so-veiled condemnation of George W. Bush's war in Iraq.

The singer and songwriter will become the first Canadian to get the accolade.

Past honourees include Quincy Jones, Elton John, Aretha Franklin, Bono and Neil Diamond.

The Grammys will be held on Jan. 29, 2010, in Los Angeles.

Thanks, pagemeister! I'm glad he's finally getting the Grammy! I didn't realize that he's never won one.

I loved all his works in all phases of his career. Really loved his movie made in Nashville--"Heart Of Gold".

Such achievements! Well-deserved recognition! :) I'll be sure to watch the Grammys in Jan.

Edited by Fan_S.