Protect Downtown Athens - Patterson Hood and the Downtown 13

Jahfin

Y'ALL:

As some of ya'll might know, an out of town developer is attempting to build a huge mixed use development right next door to our beautiful downtown Athens. The location is a prime piece of land nestled up between our historic downtown and our river, greenway and planned Rail to Trails development.

I'm not going to get into the ramifications of all of that here, except to say it presents a tremendous set of missed opportunities and poses a host of negative implications for our beloved downtown and the local businesses that reside there.

I have written a new song about my love for this town that has given me so much and the threat that I see to our very way of life here. That might sound overly-dramatic, but I travel around this country a lot and I can tell you that what we have here is very unique and can not be taken for granted. Many of our friends who travel every year to Athens to see our annual 40 Watt / Nuci's Space Homecoming can vouch for what a special place this is.

I recorded the song at The 40 Watt Club during our weekend there backed by members of DBT. Then some very special friends from our music community pitched in and came to Chase Park Transduction to contribute some magic. 13 players, ranging from over 30 years of Athens Music history joined in and our friend Jason Thrasher filmed it.

We have launched an amazing new site with lots more information.

www.protectdowntownathens.com

We are offering DBT fans the song early right now at drivebytruckers.com. The video can also be seen at:

Tomorrow, I would love for y'all to Tweet (@protectathens) and Facebook and spread it around to as many people as you think might enjoy it. We are trying to do this tomorrow in a concerted effort.

And please check out the Protect Downtown Athens website to get the facts ( and nothing but the facts) about what is going on in our beloved Athens.

Thanks Always,

Patterson Hood

Y'ALL:

As some of ya'll might know, an out of town developer is attempting to build a huge mixed use development right next door to our beautiful downtown Athens. The location is a prime piece of land nestled up between our historic downtown and our river, greenway and planned Rail to Trails development.

I'm not going to get into the ramifications of all of that here, except to say it presents a tremendous set of missed opportunities and poses a host of negative implications for our beloved downtown and the local businesses that reside there.

I have written a new song about my love for this town that has given me so much and the threat that I see to our very way of life here. That might sound overly-dramatic, but I travel around this country a lot and I can tell you that what we have here is very unique and can not be taken for granted. Many of our friends who travel every year to Athens to see our annual 40 Watt / Nuci's Space Homecoming can vouch for what a special place this is.

I recorded the song at The 40 Watt Club during our weekend there backed by members of DBT. Then some very special friends from our music community pitched in and came to Chase Park Transduction to contribute some magic. 13 players, ranging from over 30 years of Athens Music history joined in and our friend Jason Thrasher filmed it.

We have launched an amazing new site with lots more information.

We are offering DBT fans the song early right now at drivebytruckers.com. The video can also be seen at:

Tomorrow, I would love for y'all to Tweet (@protectathens) and Facebook and spread it around to as many people as you think might enjoy it. We are trying to do this tomorrow in a concerted effort.

And please check out the Protect Downtown Athens website to get the facts ( and nothing but the facts) about what is going on in our beloved Athens.

Thanks Always,

Patterson Hood

that is a beautiful song..good luck to the folks in Athens.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PATTERSON HOOD AND THE DOWNTOWN 13 RELEASE “AFTER IT’S GONE” IN AN EFFORT TO FIGHT A WALMART IN DOWNTOWN ATHENS, GA

“Who needs a downtown when there’s a Walmart next door?”

Athens, GA: Some of the greatest songs were written to give voice to anxiety, despair and unwanted change. “After it’s Gone”, a new single just released by Patterson Hood and the Downtown 13, was inspired by the threat of a Walmart in the heart of the downtown that nurtured the band’s career. Hood, singer, writer and guitarist for the band Drive-By Truckers assembled The Downtown 13, a musical collective made up of some of Athens, Georgia's finest musicians to celebrate Athens, GA's beauty and vibrant musical heritage and to protest a developer's proposed building of a massive mixed use development in downtown Athens, anchored by a 94,000 sq. foot Walmart.

The small and eclectic university town of Athens is a hotbed for national musical acts and many of these local luminaries, including R.E.M.’s Mike Mills and Widespread Panic’s John Bell and Todd Nance came together on the new track to express their opposition to a proposed development by Atlanta-based Selig Enterprises. The back wall of the anchor tenant, Walmart, would be within stone’s throw of Hood’s home and it would tower over the greenway trail along the Oconee River-- it is the very embodiment of inappropriate development.

“This Atlanta developer wants to clog our cultural heart and build a bunker the size of three city blocks next to the vibrant downtown scene,” says Hood. “They hit The Easy Button: a big box store in our downtown district is clearly misguided and a somewhat ridiculous notion. Downtown Athens is a dynamic network of local businesses--Athens already has a meaningful brand and we are extremely protective of it.”

Taking a very vocal turn away from the proposed lifestyle-shopping center currently under contract, Hood is the most recent performer to take the role of front man as an Athens community that has long spoken to national and international audiences.

“We have a vibrant downtown with plans for the future that involve planned development along the river and hopefully a high speed rail to Atlanta,” says Hood. “We don’t need a big box retailer, the very definition of the past, to once again bring us back through that dark episode of closed down storefronts and empty parking lots. Protect Downtown Athens-- that's what this is all about."

You can download the song, view the video and read more about Protect Downtown Athens at the link below:

Twitter: @protectathens

Please write about this, post to your Facebook and Twitter pages. We need all the coverage we can get on this issue in order to Protect Downtown Athens!

“After It's Gone”, by Patterson Hood Published by Pottery Town Songs (BMI)

Performed by Patterson Hood and the Downtown 13

Featuring members of Drive-By Truckers, Widespread Panic, R.E.M., Futurebirds, Hope For Agoldensummer, Lera Lynn, Justified True Belief and The Quick Hooks.

Patterson Hood - Lead Vocals, Guitar

Mike Mills - Harmonies and Piano

John Bell - Lead Vocals

John Neff - Pedal Steel

David Barbe – Bass

Jay Gonzalez - Wurlitzer Electric Piano

Brad Morgan - Drums

Todd Nance - Percussion

Claire Campbell - Banjo and Harmonies

Lera Lynn - Harmonies

Brannen Miles, Carter King and Payton Bradford - Backing Vocals

Henry Barbe - Electric Guitar

Basic track recorded live on stage at Fabulous 40 Watt Club in Athens, GA. Vocals, overdubs and mixing at Chase Park Transduction, Athens, GA. Basics recorded by Colin Cargyle with Matt DeFilippis and Damon Scott. Post production work by Bennett Moon and David Barbe. Mixed by David Barbe. Mastered by Greg Calbi at Sterling Sound, NYC. Video produced and directed by Jason Thrasher. Edited by Eddie Whalen.

Archived