SXSW 2012

Jahfin

In addition to Bruce Springsteen's keynote address; other notable news includes the dB's reunion shows, the screening of the Big Star documentary Nothing Can Hurt Me: The Big Star Story (which was followed by a performance of Big Star's Third/Sister Lovers album by an all star cast) and Alejandro Escovedo's annual shindig at the Continental Club which serves as the unofficial closing of SXSW every year in Austin. If anyone has any other highlights they from this year's SXSW they would like to share please feel free to post them here.

Alejandro Escovedo SXSW: Annual Concert Attracts Members of R.E.M. + More (from Spinner)

310084_373437982690582_180493438651705_1249544_92963412_n.jpg

From left to right: Mike Mills, Alejandro Escovedo, DeWitt Burton and Peter Buck

(Photo by Chloe Johnson)

484163_10150731942600236_25138835235_11735553_528643849_n.jpg

I'm at work right now so I'm on a flyby - I will stop by later to post more thoughts.

In addition to Bruce's keynote, two of my highlights (I can't find any vids of their SXSW performances yet), were Garland Jeffreys and The Black Watch.

http://youtu.be/o1Y_xyUWXI4

As far as Alejandro, I think he is wonderful and I've been fortunate to have seen him several times locally (although not this year with Bruce):

^^ I am listening to Bruce's keynote now. Thanks for the link:-)

MSG & Jahfin, I also love Garland Jeffreys and had the Escape Artist album, but it was stolen during Katrina. This is one I need to replace (on vinyl!!)

I found Escape Artist at a place called Roots Records in Chapel Hill back in the late 90s. Still need to transfer it to iTunes and/or invest in a turntable.

Oh, and let this thread stand as a testament to the fact that music is not "dead".

Archived