Yardbirds Gig 16 April 2012

kenog

http://www.newstalk650.com/story/yardbirds-hit-prince-albert-good-cause/49760

The Yardbirds hit Prince Albert for a good cause

Concert will raise funds for the SPCA

Reported by Sarah Stone

First Posted: Mar 27, 2012 12:53pm

Prince Albert will be graced with legends next month thanks to a special connection to one local philanthropist.

The famous 1960s British invasion group, the Yardbirds will be playing at the E.A. Rawlinson Centre this April to support the SCPA “New Leash on Life” campaign.

According to campaign manager, Deb Honch the group has agreed to stop in the city because of a special connection between Malcolm Jenkins and the drummer of the band, Jim McCarty.

“There’s a personal connection with Malcolm Jenkins who’s our honorary chair of the New Leash on Life building initiative. He actually went to school … with the drummer in the Yardbirds,” Honch said. “So, Malcolm invited them and they said ‘of course they would love to come’ and then of course with all the proceeds coming to the SCPA campaign.”

Honch explained that Jenkins has been a great addition to the campaign and has helped out in so many ways, including bringing the Yardbirds to Prince Albert. A “New Leash on Life” aims to raise money for a new SCPA facility on North Industrial Drive and if all goes according to plan, construction should break ground in the spring Honch said.

Jenkins said McCarty and himself go way back in time to the days of an all-boys high school in the UK.

“He was my best friend in high school,” Jenkins said. “We sat next to each other for four years. We were in the same classes. We went to a very strict English boy’s school, you know where you had to wear a uniform and peaked hat and you better not talk in class or you’ll get your knuckles strapped, so very strict. Just fate I guess threw us together. We just made very good friends.”

Jenkins said he lost touch with McCarty in the fifties but just this past year he wrote to his record company after coming across his name on the back of an LP jacket. After that they met up through the internet until meeting in Toronto.

“He was coming to Toronto, so I took time out and flew down and met up with him. We spent a great couple days. We drove all over southern Ontario and I was showing him where I used to live and we were catching up on all those times. It was very, very special,” he said.

This reunion of old chums not only rekindled a friendship, but also leads to a great cause. McCarty and the rest of the band agreed to visit Prince Albert between touring destinations to perform in the name of “New Leash on Life”.

“Since the SPCA fundraiser is about the same time, and I’m involved with that I thought why not use it as a fundraiser for the SCPA, so that’s what we’re doing,” Malcolm said. “(McCarty) was delighted. He thought it was great. He’s a pet lover too, like us, so he said “let’s put the frosting on the cake for them” he thought that was great.”

The Yardbirds had a slew of hits in the 1960s including “Over Under Sideways Down”, “Heart Full of Soul”, and “For Your Love”. The band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1992. Previous big names in the band include Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page.

The new lineup includes original drummer, and Jenkins long-time friend, Jim McCarty, rhythm guitarist Chris Dreja, lead singer/harmonica player Andy Mitchell, guitarist Ben King, and bassist David Smale.

The Yardbirds will play Apr. 16 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are currently on sale at the E.A. Rawlinson Centre for $40. SPCA members may also purchase them at the present SPCA facility and will receive a free ticket in addition to their original.

sstone@panow.com

Archived