1977.05.21 Remastered Soundboard - 2023 Version

SteveZ98

2 hours ago, JMH said:

It is great how an average or slightly above average show comes alive with a remaster like this.

The one thing that has held true for every show I've worked on is the better you can make it sound, the more impressive you realize the performance was. I think that's because most recordings, at least in their original state, fail to convey much of what Bonzo and JPJ played. On many of them it sounds like Bonzo's kit was comprised solely of snare drums because the recording couldn't capture the lower registers of his floor toms and kick drum. And the same thing happens with the bottom end of Jonsey's bass guitar, so you can only hear a limited portion of what he actually played. When you can finally hear the full range of their instruments, you get to really appreciate how complex and interesting their playing really was, how well they worked together as a team, and how well they supported and interacted with Jimmy.

The best example of that I've come across to illustrate that is the 2/10/75 show. It's from the time when Robert's voice was rough from the cold he was in the midst of, and Jimmy had mostly, but not completely, recovered from his hand injury, so the raw soundboard gives the impression of the band who wasn't at the top of their game. However, when the drums and bass are fleshed out and brought to the forefront, the performance becomes far more interesting and impressive.

^

How unfortunate that even AI could not sober Jimmy up!

True about the drums and bass in general. Waiting for your EC work whenever it is that you (re)do those.

Edit: AND 28th of July 73 if that is within salvation.

Edited by JMH

Continuing on the bass/ drums... I am not a headphones man but use speakers and volume. Recently updated the surround system (finally) with a proper subwoofer so it is fun to hear (read feel) every bass drum kick.

...and to add that this specific show has a very lively Achilles from Bonham Page barely hanging on. Good stuff.