Farrar and Away

Jahfin

music2-prime.jpg

By Paul Saitowitz

If the music world had its own Olympics, the flag-bearers marching in front of the alt-country team would probably be Wilco’s formidable Jeff Tweedy and the sometimes likeable, always beguiling Ryan Adams.

But while those two have undeniably spearheaded (if not mainstreamed) a genre that was cultivated by folks like Gram Parsons and Townes Van Zandt years ago, there is a third, slightly more anonymous teammate who should be by their side.

No, it’s not Rhett Miller. The Old 97’s frontman is certainly a valued member of the squad, but he hangs out a bit too much with the pop-music kids to warrant captain status. Rather, the unsung hero and deserved third standard-bearer is Jay Farrar.

You can read the rest of the article here:

http://www.sdcitybeat.com/cms/story/detail...r_and_away/6658

Was there ever any doubt about his importance? Who ever wrote that article is an idiot and needs to remember it was on Jay's back that the modern country rock movement was carried. Well at least on the backs Uncle Tupelo and the Jayhawks. Ryan Adams? Stop it, he came much later and no matter how great he was with Whiskeytown he's no more country sounding than Jay or Wilco is these days, all of those artists moved on a long time ago. It wouldn't surprise me if the author of that article is new to that type of music and is working their way backwards, anyone that was into UT or Son Volt years ago knows it was Jay everyone bowed to, especially after Trace.

I agree about the article but I'll take Strangers Almanac over Trace if only by a nose. I love both records.

Honestly I don't listen to any of that stuff anymore and haven't for a very long time. Was a time when I lived and breathed it but I burned myself out, though I was never a huge Whiskeytown fan anyway. I actually prefer Ryan's poppier stuff to his countrified stuff, IMO the best thing he ever did was Gold.

Admittedly I go through phases but that's mostly with different artists, not musical styles. I can go from a Sabbath binge to a reggae binge into listening to country, bluegrass, ska, etc. As for Gold, I like it but I feel it's the most highly derivative of his solo albums, at least to my ears. By the time he got to Cold Roses I could hear the influence of the Grateful Dead but couldn't pick up on chords and vocal imitations like I could with Gold. Then again, he said he wanted Gold to sound like changing channels on an FM tuner back in the 70s. He accomplished that with nods to The Band, Neil Young, Van Morrison, etc. throughout that record. He even throws in some Prince at one point.

BOBBY BARE JR ON TOUR

Fri Mar 7 Asheville, NC The Grey Eagle

Sat Mar 8 Atlanta, GA Star Bar

Tue Mar 11 Fort Worth, TX Aardvarks

Wed Mar 12 San Antonio, TX Casbeers

Fri Mar 14 Austin, TX Yard Dog

Gallery (Bloodshot Day Party)

Fri Mar 14 Austin, TX Club

Deville (SXSW Showcase)

BOBBY BARE JR ON TOUR WITH SON VOLT

Wed Apr 9 Louisville, KY Headliners

Thu Apr 10 Nashville, TN Exit/In

Fri Apr 11 Atlanta, GA Variety Playhouse

Sat Apr 12 Tallahassee, FL The Beta Bar

Sun Apr 13 Birmingham, AL Workplay Theater

Tue Apr 15 New Orleans, LA Tipitina's

Wed Apr 16 Houston, TX The Continental

Thu Apr 17 Austin, TX Antone's

Fri Apr 18 New Braunfels, TX Gruene Hall

Tue Apr 22 Knoxville, TN Bijou Theater

Wed Apr 23 Charlotte, NC The Visulite

Thu Apr 24 Raleigh, NC Lincoln Theatre

Fri Apr 25 Washington, DC 9:30 Club

Sat Apr 25 Philadelphia, PA The Trocadero

I have Uncle Tupelo's Anodyne album, and while I like it decently, I think both of the "side project bands" (ahem, funny because both "side bands" became bigger than the original band) are better. I only own Okemah And The Melody of Riot from Son Volt. It's okay, but it is a bit boring at times. I think Farrar is a solid lyricist though. It's just something about his vocals.

Gimme Jeff Tweedy and Ryan Adams any day of the week. Although I've been meaning to purchase Trace for a while now.

I have Uncle Tupelo's Anodyne album, and while I like it decently, I think both of the "side project bands" (ahem, funny because both "side bands" became bigger than the original band) are better. I only own Okemah And The Melody of Riot from Son Volt. It's okay, but it is a bit boring at times. I think Farrar is a solid lyricist though. It's just something about his vocals.

Gimme Jeff Tweedy and Ryan Adams any day of the week. Although I've been meaning to purchase Trace for a while now.

If you go back further in the UT catalog you'll find they have a much rawer sound than that found on Anodyne. By the time of Anodyne you could already hear the seeds of Wilco in Tweedy's more refined sound.

I find Farrar a bit "dry" at times myself but I think you'll love Trace.

Some Farrar solo dates and news of him working on a Kerouac documentary:

Jay Farrar solo dates

Jay is heading out for some solo dates this weekend. Mark Spencer

will be accompanying him. Anders is opening the show at Maxwell's as

well as all West Coast dates. Chris Masterson (Son Volt) and Eleanor

Whitmore will open in Brooklyn.

2/22: Maxwell's Hoboken, NJ

2/23: Music Hall of Williamsburg Brooklyn, NY

2/25: Belly Up Tavern Solana Beach, CA

2/26: Troubadour Los Angeles, CA

2/27: Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA

2/29: Tractor Tavern Seattle, WA