You really should own this....

JethroTull

51RR13txCcL._AA240_.jpg

Feeling adventurous? This week's recommendation is Wish You Were Here by Badfinger. There are a load of fan reviews on the Amazon link. Here are two random ones. Everybody should own some Badfinger!! I would even recommend a greatest hits.

Amazon reviews and CD info

****************************** Review 1 ***********************************

Well, I'm sure you all have heard the problems this band went through, so I won't even go into that. What you have here in Wish You Were Here is not to be mistaken by Pink Floyd's CD of the same title. Just over 30 minutes, this album broke new ground, a different approach then previous releases. I won't sit here and insult anyone's intelligence by stating this is their greatest work. Personally, its my favorite. From start to finish, no bad tracks, some medley's, some excellent choices of intruments never used before on a Badfinger record. This is by all means, the last record of the Classic Badfinger lineup. The comparisons to Abbey Road are prevelent.....but it stands to this day as a Classic Lost Album that will go down in history as just that.....Lost. No hit songs here, no tradmark sounds, just pure brilliance!!

If I could possibly improve this great release, I would have included "Timeless" somewhere in between the original's release first side and second. Would have been a nice compliment to the Abbey Road theory?!?

This document should not be overlooked by any casual, hardcore or any Beatle fan!

********************************* Review 2 *********************************

The two albums that Badfinger recorded for Warner Brothers after leaving Apple were among the easiest to find in the days before cd's. They could usually be found languishing in used bins for relatively low prices, and it was this that initially threw me off. Finally, faced with the prospect of little known Badfinger over no Badfinger at all, I went ahead and purchased both albums. Imagine my surprise when I got home and found that both albums were loaded with songs on par with, and at times better than, the songs that the band did while with Apple. The whole album is strong, with leadoff shouldabeenahit "Just A Chance" Pete Ham is in fine voice, and one is left to wonder what could have been. "Know One Knows" and "Dennis" are equally strong, but it's the rather odd cut and paste songs "In The Meantime/Some Other Time" and "Meanwhile Back At The Ranch/Should I Smoke" that show the band's true brilliance. Within months Pete Ham would be dead and with his passing rock and roll lost one of the truly great songwriters as well as a hugely underrated guitarist. This album demands and deserves a listen and it's a risk you won't regret.

• 4 weeks later...
51RR13txCcL._AA240_.jpg

Feeling adventurous? This week's recommendation is Wish You Were Here by Badfinger. There are a load of fan reviews on the Amazon link. Here are two random ones. Everybody should own some Badfinger!! I would even recommend a greatest hits.

Amazon reviews and CD info

****************************** Review 1 ***********************************

Well, I'm sure you all have heard the problems this band went through, so I won't even go into that. What you have here in Wish You Were Here is not to be mistaken by Pink Floyd's CD of the same title. Just over 30 minutes, this album broke new ground, a different approach then previous releases. I won't sit here and insult anyone's intelligence by stating this is their greatest work. Personally, its my favorite. From start to finish, no bad tracks, some medley's, some excellent choices of intruments never used before on a Badfinger record. This is by all means, the last record of the Classic Badfinger lineup. The comparisons to Abbey Road are prevelent.....but it stands to this day as a Classic Lost Album that will go down in history as just that.....Lost. No hit songs here, no tradmark sounds, just pure brilliance!!

If I could possibly improve this great release, I would have included "Timeless" somewhere in between the original's release first side and second. Would have been a nice compliment to the Abbey Road theory?!?

This document should not be overlooked by any casual, hardcore or any Beatle fan!

********************************* Review 2 *********************************

The two albums that Badfinger recorded for Warner Brothers after leaving Apple were among the easiest to find in the days before cd's. They could usually be found languishing in used bins for relatively low prices, and it was this that initially threw me off. Finally, faced with the prospect of little known Badfinger over no Badfinger at all, I went ahead and purchased both albums. Imagine my surprise when I got home and found that both albums were loaded with songs on par with, and at times better than, the songs that the band did while with Apple. The whole album is strong, with leadoff shouldabeenahit "Just A Chance" Pete Ham is in fine voice, and one is left to wonder what could have been. "Know One Knows" and "Dennis" are equally strong, but it's the rather odd cut and paste songs "In The Meantime/Some Other Time" and "Meanwhile Back At The Ranch/Should I Smoke" that show the band's true brilliance. Within months Pete Ham would be dead and with his passing rock and roll lost one of the truly great songwriters as well as a hugely underrated guitarist. This album demands and deserves a listen and it's a risk you won't regret.

I know EYE should own some Badfinger too :)

Archived