Led Zepp members relationships with other big bands

I watched the tribute again tonight at Madison Square Garden after 9/11. I saw McCartney and the Who and Bowie and Elton John to name a few. I have often wondered if they asked Zeppelin or if they just had too many? I wonder how close they are to Clapton or Jagger who were also there. Of course they all know each other well, but I wonder which ones are friends and if any have had a falling out so to speak? As they played Live Aid at a very trying time for them, Im sure they would have played if it was something they could have done without chaos. I have often wondered how close Jimmy and Robert are now days lets say to McCartney or Jagger or any others? I did a search for some of this and got nothing. So if a thread already exists about this subject, be my guest and zapp it. I'm sure some of you have some info on this? Of course I'm sure you all know that Zeppelin is on the list of the 50 Greatest Moments in Madison Square Garden history. I have seen it numerous times.

I watched the tribute again tonight at Madison Square Garden after 9/11. I saw McCartney and the Who and Bowie and Elton John to name a few. I have often wondered if they asked Zeppelin or if they just had too many? I wonder how close they are to Clapton or Jagger who were also there. Of course they all know each other well, but I wonder which ones are friends and if any have had a falling out so to speak? As they played Live Aid at a very trying time for them, Im sure they would have played if it was something they could have done without chaos. I have often wondered how close Jimmy and Robert are now days lets say to McCartney or Jagger or any others? I did a search for some of this and got nothing. So if a thread already exists about this subject, be my guest and zapp it. I'm sure some of you have some info on this? Of course I'm sure you all know that Zeppelin is on the list of the 50 Greatest Moments in Madison Square Garden history. I have seen it numerous times.

The Concert for New York City was a benefit concert, featuring many famous musicians, that took place on October 20, 2001 at Madison Square Garden in New York City in response to the September 11, 2001 attacks. Many of the attendees were families and fellow members of the New York Fire Department and New York Police Department, honoring those lost in the attacks and those who had worked in the ongoing rescue and recovery efforts in the weeks since then.

The concert was organized by Paul McCartney and included many of his legendary British contemporaries, including Mick Jagger with Keith Richards, The Who, David Bowie, Elton John, and Eric Clapton. American artists included Bon Jovi, Jay-Z, Destiny's Child, the Backstreet Boys, James Taylor, Billy Joel, Melissa Etheridge, Five for Fighting, Goo Goo Dolls, and John Mellencamp with Kid Rock, as well as an "Operaman" performance by Adam Sandler, singing a medley covering topics including the concert, the greatness of New York City, and about Osama Bin Laden being a coward. Various celebrities and political figures such as Rudy Giuliani appeared in between the acts. Many athletes also appeared between the acts including Joe Torre, whose Yankees were on their way to competing in their fourth consecutive World Series.

The concert also included several short films made by New York City's most notable filmmakers - Woody Allen, Martin Scorsese, and Spike Lee.

--------------------------------------------------------

Jimmy and Robert had played the 'Good Rockin' Tonite: Tribute to Sun Records' at the Stravinski Auditorium in Montreux, Switzerland on 7/7/01. I was there and was amazed by the sheer energy of their performance. It had been nearly three years since their last gig together. Two months later, it seemed life as we had known it was altered forever.

In the aftermath of 9-11, Robert cancelled three performances slated for Russia and quietly returned to the studio with Strange Sensation. John Paul Jones was preparing for a short USA tour which began in November. Jimmy did attend Mick Jagger's one and only showcase gig for his new 'Goddess In The Doorway' solo album at the El Rey Theatre in Hollywood on Nov 15th 2001. On December 6th it was announced that Page & Plant would participate in a concert to benefit The Who's Teenage Cancer Trust on February 10th 2002 at the Royal Albert Hall in London. Robert performed with Strange Sensation while Jimmy was joined by Paul Weller's band for an instrumental version of 'Dazed And Confused'.

The 7th of July 2005 London bombings (also called the 7/7 bombings) were a series of coordinated bomb blasts that hit London's public transport system during the morning rush hour. Carried out by British Islamist extremists, the suicide bombings were motivated by Britain's involvement in the Iraq War and other conflicts.[1] At 8:50 a.m., three bombs exploded within fifty seconds of each other on three London Underground trains. A fourth bomb exploded on a bus nearly an hour later at 9:47 a.m. in Tavistock Square. The bombings killed 52 commuters and the four suicide bombers, injured 700, and caused disruption of the city's transport system (severely for the first day) and the country's mobile telecommunications infrastructure. The series of suicide-bomb explosions constituted the largest and deadliest terrorist attack on London's transit system in its history.

Robert Plant performed at Meadow Brook in Rochester Hills, MI that evening and said 'This one goes out to our brothers in England' as an intro to "That's The Way".

Archived