Christmas On the Coast

Jahfin

Aside from a song or two I was fairly unfamiliar with them at the time. In fact, I thought they were a punk rock group. The way the audience was spitting on them (a compliment in other countries) did little to make me think differently. Towards the end of the show Angus came through the audience playing guitar on the shoulders of one of their crew members. As he came by everyone punched him in the shoulder, another thing that still made me think they were "punk rock". I did became a fan that night though and feel very privileged to have seen Bon Scott before he died.

AC/DC and several other bands are immortalized in this song by the Drive-By Truckers. Not sure if they're your cup of tea or not but they're definitely worth checking out the next time they come through. This is from their album Southern Rock Opera, loosely based on the tragic tale of the original Lynyrd Skynyrd:

LET THERE BE ROCK

(Hood / DBT)

Dropped acid, Blue Oyster Cult concert, fourteen years old,

And I thought them lasers were a spider chasing me.

On my way home, got pulled over in Rogersville Alabama, with a half-ounce of weed and a case of Sterling Big Mouth.

My buddy Gene was driving, he just barely turned sixteen.

And I'd like to say, "I'm sorry", but we lived to tell about it

And we lived to do a whole lot more crazy, stupid, shit.

And I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw Molly Hatchet

With .38 Special and the Johnny Van Zant Band.

One night when I was seventeen, I drank a fifth of vodka, on an empty stomach, then drove over to a friend's house. And I backed my car between his parent's Cadillac's without a scratch.

Then crawled to the back door and slithered threw the key hole, and sneaked up the stairs

And puked in the toilet.

I passed out and nearly drowned but his sister, DeeDee, pulled me out.

And I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw Molly Hatchet

And the band that I was in played "The Boy's are Back in Town".

Skynyrd was set to play Huntsville, Alabama, in the spring of '77, I had a ticket but it got cancelled.

So, the show, it was rescheduled for the "Street Survivors Tour".

And the rest, as they say, is history.

So I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw Ozzy Osbourne with Randy Rhoads in '82

Right before that plane crash.

And I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw AC/DC

With Bon Scott singing, "Let There Be Rock Tour".

With Bon Scott singing, LET THERE BE ROCK!

I'll definitely have to check the Drive-By Truckers out :thumbsup:

I was born the year after Bon Scott died, so I've only been around in the Brian Johnson era :lol:...I've seen them twice and both times I was impressed...I really want to take Chuck to one of their shows, he's seen a lot of bands, but not AC/DC.

Yes, that is definitely Ray. Kyna and I saw The White Oak River Boys headline at The Dive with Slammin' Dixie as the openers. We also saw ZoSo there on a Sunday night, the crowd was pretty thin, and Kyna doesn't think that ZoSo really wanted to play there :lol: We've seen them from Jacksonville, FL (Freebird Cafe) to Jacksonville. NC at Planet Rock, they played pretty kickass shows.

I remember when Zoso played Rootie's in Emerald Isle (now Paddy's) several years ago. I'm not much on tribute bands but have been told I would enjoy them. I'm not surprised about their response to The Dive. I was never a regular there but went to support all but one of the bands I recommended to them. It was sad to see as folks paid a $5 cover to see the band then sat at the fucking bar all night not paying a lick of attention to the band onstage. It was embarassing. They even booked Raleigh's Patty Hurst Shifter (which includes Ryan Adams' former Whiskeytown bandmate Skillet Gilmore, who's also married to Caitlin Cary of Whiskeytown/Tres Chicas) 3 times but they never drew a crowd. You can check 'em out here if you're interested:

http://www.myspace.com/pattyhurstshifter

IMG_0602.jpg

It was called the Cumberland County Memorial Arena, that's my ticket to see Ozzy there in 1981 :lol:

That's it. I think the show I saw was in '78.

What do you remember about Court Street? :lol:

I know what you mean but I honestly never spent any time in Jacksonhell nightlife-wise. Back in the 80s it was pretty much Atlantic Beach (before it became a retirement community), Emerald Isle and Beaufort when I was looking for live music at the coast.

I'll definitely have to check the Drive-By Truckers out :thumbsup:

They're not everyone's cup of tea but I've been a fan since hearing them for the first time back in the late 90s. They even have a few fans around this site besides myself. You can learn more about them at their website, listen to 'em at MySpace and look up live clips on YouTube but they are best experienced live in concert.

http://www.drivebytruckers.com

http://www.myspace.com/drivebytruckers

I was born the year after Bon Scott died, so I've only been around in the Brian Johnson era :lol:...I've seen them twice and both times I was impressed...I really want to take Chuck to one of their shows, he's seen a lot of bands, but not AC/DC.

I like Brian Johnson (particularly his work on Back In Black) but have never seen AC/DC since then. I still like them but feel their very best work was during the Bon Scott years.

I remember when Zoso played Rootie's in Emerald Isle (now Paddy's) several years ago. I'm not much on tribute bands but have been told I would enjoy them. I'm not surprised about their response to The Dive. I was never a regular there but went to support all but one of the bands I recommended to them. It was sad to see as folks paid a $5 cover to see the band then sat at the fucking bar all night not paying a lick of attention to the band onstage. It was embarassing. They even booked Raleigh's Patty Hurst Shifter (which includes Ryan Adams' former Whiskeytown bandmate Skillet Gilmore, who's also married to Caitlin Cary of Whiskeytown/Tres Chicas) 3 times but they never drew a crowd. You can check 'em out here if you're interested

For as long as I've lived here I never went to Rootie's. Kyna and I have been in Paddy's a couple of times to have some pints and shoot a little pool. I thought it was pretty nice in there. We went to the Emerald Club one time, I know that guy who runs that one. We saw one band in there, can't remember the name, but there was really no room to sit in there. We hung out in the back on the deck. I don't like paying a cover charge and not being able to see the band. I don't believe the Dive advertises enough to draw in any crowds. I usually find out at the last minute who's playing there. Slammin Dixie and a few other bands are opening for Joe Diffie on Dec 7 I think. I won't be going to that show.

I checked out the Patty Hurst Shifter and Tres Chicas sites. The little bit I heard sounded pretty good.

I know what you mean but I honestly never spent any time in Jacksonhell nightlife-wise. Back in the 80s it was pretty much Atlantic Beach (before it became a retirement community), Emerald Isle and Beaufort when I was looking for live music at the coast.

I remember Joan Jett coming to Atlantic Beach as well as David Allen Coe. I saw a couple of shows at Ziggy's before it closed down. Now it looks like AB is going to be the ultimate retirement community :lol: I also remember seeing Danny Joe Brown playing at the Southern Rock House in Jacksonville, which was right next to the Sonic across from Camp Johnson.

If I was to buy a Drive-By Truckers CD, what would be your first suggestion?

For as long as I've lived here I never went to Rootie's. Kyna and I have been in Paddy's a couple of times to have some pints and shoot a little pool. I thought it was pretty nice in there. We went to the Emerald Club one time, I know that guy who runs that one. We saw one band in there, can't remember the name, but there was really no room to sit in there. We hung out in the back on the deck. I don't like paying a cover charge and not being able to see the band. I don't believe the Dive advertises enough to draw in any crowds. I usually find out at the last minute who's playing there. Slammin Dixie and a few other bands are opening for Joe Diffie on Dec 7 I think. I won't be going to that show.

I was never a regular at Rootie's either but I did see one of Nantucket's first reunion shows there as well as The Edgar Winter Group back in the early 90s. The Emerald Club mainly has local bands but like The Yacht Club, the DJ seems to have taken precedence so you get more of a dance crowd than people that come out to hear live music. I got XM radio a few years ago so I hear very little local radio these days so I have no idea how much (if any) The Dive advertises. I understand they bring in decent crowds for folks like Marshall Tucker and Blackfoot but I'll be damned if I'm paying $35 to see bands with so few original members. I think the singer is the only one left in Marshall Tucker and Rickey Medlocke is not even in Blackfoot (he's in Skynyrd these days and sold the rights to the Blackfoot name to the surviving band members, he still makes a cut though, I'm sure). Sadly, most of the general public is totally unaware of this and they fork over the bucks anyway. I'm not sure if you read the Terry Anderson blog entry I posted previously about The Dive but they way they treated his band left a very bad taste in my mouth. I'm not saying I'll never set foot in there again but there was no excuse for treating them as shitty as they did. I don't care anything about seeing Joe Diffie either but I still keep track of who's playing The Dive via their MySpace site:

http://myspace.com/thencdive

I checked out the Patty Hurst Shifter and Tres Chicas sites. The little bit I heard sounded pretty good.

Thanks. Like I've said, the Triangle area bands like Patty Hurst Shifter, Tres Chicas, $2 Pistols, Southern Culture on the Skids, The Backsliders, The T's, Terry Anderson and the Olympic Ass Kickin' Team, etc. pretty much make up all of my local live music entertainment choices. We're very lucky to live in a state so rich with local music. Not to mention the regional and national touring bands that come to the Triangle area clubs.

I remember Joan Jett coming to Atlantic Beach as well as David Allen Coe. I saw a couple of shows at Ziggy's before it closed down. Now it looks like AB is going to be the ultimate retirement community :lol: I also remember seeing Danny Joe Brown playing at the Southern Rock House in Jacksonville, which was right next to the Sonic across from Camp Johnson.

Not sure if you remember Bikini's and Chevy's at Atlantic Beach (run by Donald Travis out of Goldsboro) but they booked Molly Hatchet, Blue Oyster Cult and a few other decent bands over the years. Way back in the 80s I saw David Allan Coe at Night Moves (or was it The Pumphouse?) on The Circle in Atlantic Beach. Those were the days. We also used to hit Fishtowne Performance Hall behind Clawson's in Beaufort for reggae/ska/soca/calypso from Rolly Grey & Sunfire and The Amateurs. The new defunct Z-103 even put on a reggae concert on the beach one year. There was also Molly's in AB at the Sheraton that had bands play by the pool such as Edwin McCain, Lisa Loeb and The Amateurs. I caught a few shows at Ziggy's By the Sea myself but wish I could have seen more as they booked some very good bands. I saw a Reggae Night there with Rolly Grey and Southern Culture on the Skids a couple of times. Can't say I remember the Southern Rock House in Jax but I did see Molly Hatchet (with Danny Joe Brown) at some warehouse in New Bern back in the early 90s. It was a show sponsored by WSFL. I think that's the last time I ever saw Hatchet.

If I was to buy a Drive-By Truckers CD, what would be your first suggestion?

Decoration Day but be warned, they're not everybody's cup of tea. However, that seems to be their most accessible album and a good choice for folks just getting into them. Please let me know what you think, even if you don't like it.

I was never a regular at Rootie's either but I did see one of Nantucket's first reunion shows there as well as The Edgar Winter Group back in the early 90s. The Emerald Club mainly has local bands but like The Yacht Club, the DJ seems to have taken precedence so you get more of a dance crowd than people that come out to hear live music. I got XM radio a few years ago so I hear very little local radio these days so I have no idea how much (if any) The Dive advertises. I understand they bring in decent crowds for folks like Marshall Tucker and Blackfoot but I'll be damned if I'm paying $35 to see bands with so few original members. I think the singer is the only one left in Marshall Tucker and Rickey Medlocke is not even in Blackfoot (he's in Skynyrd these days and sold the rights to the Blackfoot name to the surviving band members, he still makes a cut though, I'm sure). Sadly, most of the general public is totally unaware of this and they fork over the bucks anyway. I'm not sure if you read the Terry Anderson blog entry I posted previously about The Dive but they way they treated his band left a very bad taste in my mouth. I'm not saying I'll never set foot in there again but there was no excuse for treating them as shitty as they did. I don't care anything about seeing Joe Diffie either but I still keep track of who's playing The Dive via their MySpace site:

Yeah, I get a little leery of some of the shows where they promote the bands and nobody's left in the band. I read the Terry Anderson blog, that was pretty fucked up.

Thanks. Like I've said, the Triangle area bands like Patty Hurst Shifter, Tres Chicas, $2 Pistols, Southern Culture on the Skids, The Backsliders, The T's, Terry Anderson and the Olympic Ass Kickin' Team, etc. pretty much make up all of my local live music entertainment choices. We're very lucky to live in a state so rich with local music. Not to mention the regional and national touring bands that come to the Triangle area clubs.

Kyna and I love Raleigh, and would love to spend a weekend up there checking out some good local music.

Not sure if you remember Bikini's and Chevy's at Atlantic Beach (run by Donald Travis out of Goldsboro) but they booked Molly Hatchet, Blue Oyster Cult and a few other decent bands over the years. Way back in the 80s I saw David Allan Coe at Night Moves (or was it The Pumphouse?) on The Circle in Atlantic Beach. Those were the days. We also used to hit Fishtowne Performance Hall behind Clawson's in Beaufort for reggae/ska/soca/calypso from Rolly Grey & Sunfire and The Amateurs. The new defunct Z-103 even put on a reggae concert on the beach one year. There was also Molly's in AB at the Sheraton that had bands play by the pool such as Edwin McCain, Lisa Loeb and The Amateurs. I caught a few shows at Ziggy's By the Sea myself but wish I could have seen more as they booked some very good bands. I saw a Reggae Night there with Rolly Grey and Southern Culture on the Skids a couple of times. Can't say I remember the Southern Rock House in Jax but I did see Molly Hatchet (with Danny Joe Brown) at some warehouse in New Bern back in the early 90s. It was a show sponsored by WSFL. I think that's the last time I ever saw Hatchet.

Yeah, I remember those places very well. The Circle was a fun place hang out. Whether in the daytime or the nighttime. Kitty was in a Jacksonville band called Castle in the early 80's, and they played at The Circle a lot. I can't remember the name of the club, but I think it was a girl's name....do you remember Castle?

Decoration Day but be warned, they're not everybody's cup of tea. However, that seems to be their most accessible album and a good choice for folks just getting into them. Please let me know what you think, even if you don't like it.

We'll go to the Jacksonville Mall this weekend to see if we can find this one. If not, we'll order it online. :) I love all kinds of music, so I'm sure I won't be disappointed with your recommendation. You seem to be well-versed in the music field. :D

Kyna and I love Raleigh, and would love to spend a weekend up there checking out some good local music.

I'm there quite frequently. This list may be a little too twang-centric for your tastes but it also includes indie, garage and several other genres but I use it regularly to keep up with what's going on up there:

http://www.guitartown.org

Yeah, I remember those places very well. The Circle was a fun place hang out. Whether in the daytime or the nighttime. Kitty was in a Jacksonville band called Castle in the early 80's, and they played at The Circle a lot. I can't remember the name of the club, but I think it was a girl's name....do you remember Castle?

I can't say I remember Castle but I believe the club you're thinking of is Lisa's. One year WSFL put on a concert there on the beach that included some local bands as well as Marshall Tucker and Nantucket (who headlined). One spot we used to always hit on The Circle is Our Place Saloon. Out of all the clubs that were bulldozed (or closed), I believe it's the only one still standing. Before I was old enough to get into the clubs you could see the bands playing at Big Surf (later Chevy's and then Mikey's) from out back.

We'll go to the Jacksonville Mall this weekend to see if we can find this one. If not, we'll order it online. :) I love all kinds of music, so I'm sure I won't be disappointed with your recommendation. You seem to be well-versed in the music field. :D

Thanks. As I recall, it shouldn't be too hard to find either there or at Circuit Shitty or Best Buy. If you like it, you'll soon find yourself snatching up all of their other records.

I'm there quite frequently. This list may be a little too twang-centric for your tastes but it also includes indie, garage and several other genres but I use it regularly to keep up with what's going on up there

Thanks for that link. That's very helpful :D It's not TOO twang-centric :lol: I saw a couple on there that looked like they might be kinda fun :D

I can't say I remember Castle but I believe the club you're thinking of is Lisa's. One year WSFL put on a concert there on the beach that included some local bands as well as Marshall Tucker and Nantucket (who headlined). One spot we used to always hit on The Circle is Our Place Saloon. Out of all the clubs that were bulldozed (or closed), I believe it's the only one still standing. Before I was old enough to get into the clubs you could see the bands playing at Big Surf (later Chevy's and then Mikey's) from out back.

Lisa's was the name of that club :D Isn't Our Place Saloon the one that has the seats up on the roof?

Thanks. As I recall, it shouldn't be too hard to find either there or at Circuit Shitty or Best Buy. If you like it, you'll soon find yourself snatching up all of their other records.

I'll let you know just as soon as we pick it up and listen to it a couple of times over....might be too twangy for Kyna though ;):lol:

Thanks for that link. That's very helpful :D It's not TOO twang-centric :lol: I saw a couple on there that looked like they might be kinda fun :D

I'll be headed up there Friday for The Backsliders show at the Pour House. Only thing is, there's several other shows going on the same evening (Needham's Neighbor at Sadlack's, Chris & Marc Smith from Patty Hurst Shifter at Slim's Downtown & Elizabeth Cook w/Tim Carrol at Hideaway BBQ) that I'd also like to see. With the exception of the Elizabeth Cook show I'll somehow manage to catch a little bit of each one of them especially since a couple of them start early.

Lisa's was the name of that club :D Isn't Our Place Saloon the one that has the seats up on the roof?

That I'm not sure of. I do know it's at the end of The Circle where Big Surf/Chevy's/Mikey's once was but on the road side, as opposed to the beach side. Our Place is basically just a small pool hall. Speaking of AB, I just found this great overhead shot on Google:

beach.jpg

I'll let you know just as soon as we pick it up and listen to it a couple of times over....might be too twangy for Kyna though ;):lol:

Other than a couple of tunes (the opening track and My Sweet Annette) that album isn't too twangy at all. In fact, it flat out rocks on many tracks: Sinkhole, Marry Me, Careless, etc.

I'll be headed up there Friday for The Backsliders show at the Pour House. Only thing is, there's several other shows going on the same evening (Needham's Neighbor at Sadlack's, Chris & Marc Smith from Patty Hurst Shifter at Slim's Downtown & Elizabeth Cook w/Tim Carrol at Hideaway BBQ) that I'd also like to see. With the exception of the Elizabeth Cook show I'll somehow manage to catch a little bit of each one of them especially since a couple of them start early.

Sounds like you got your hands full for the weekend. I looked at that website and saw a lot of those shows you're going to see. Wish we were with ya :lol:

That I'm not sure of. I do know it's at the end of The Circle where Big Surf/Chevy's/Mikey's once was but on the road side, as opposed to the beach side. Our Place is basically just a small pool hall. Speaking of AB, I just found this great overhead shot on Google:

I just rode through Atlantic Beach this afternoon on the way home. It is changing...Also rode through Salter Path and the high-rises that they're putting up now compare to some of the ones I've seen in Florida. It's almost sad...I'll try to take some pics this weekend and post em :(

Other than a couple of tunes (the opening track and My Sweet Annette) that album isn't too twangy at all. In fact, it flat out rocks on many tracks: Sinkhole, Marry Me, Careless, etc.

Can't wait to get this new CD. I love listening to 'new' music :D I'll probably pick it up tomorrow...

Enjoy your weekend! :thumbsup:

Sounds like you got your hands full for the weekend. I looked at that website and saw a lot of those shows you're going to see. Wish we were with ya :lol:

You'll definitely have to check it out sometime. Patty Hurst Shifter will be at the Pour House on 1-18, that may be one you'd find well worth attending. I just picked up their new EP Friday night at Chris & Marc's (of PHS) acoustic show at Slim's but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

I just rode through Atlantic Beach this afternoon on the way home. It is changing...Also rode through Salter Path and the high-rises that they're putting up now compare to some of the ones I've seen in Florida. It's almost sad...I'll try to take some pics this weekend and post em :(

Jack Ketner (of Scearce & Ketner) recently did an editorial cartoon that ran in the Tideland News depicting Emerald Isle's oceanfront as being full of condos except for Bogue Inlet Pier, the date was set somewhere in the not too distant future.

Can't wait to get this new CD. I love listening to 'new' music :D I'll probably pick it up tomorrow...

Enjoy your weekend! :thumbsup:

If you had a chance to pick it up I hope you're enjoying it.

I hope y'all had a very nice weekend as well. Mine was very busy and I even ended up staying one more night just to see the VibeKillers do a late night show at Slim's on Sunday. I'm gettin' too old for this shit.

You'll definitely have to check it out sometime. Patty Hurst Shifter will be at the Pour House on 1-18, that may be one you'd find well worth attending. I just picked up their new EP Friday night at Chris & Marc's (of PHS) acoustic show at Slim's but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

We were gonna try to get to Raleigh on the 18th for the Hurricanes-Oilers hockey game...maybe we could check them out after the game. Guess we'll have to check out the logistics of that :lol:

Jack Ketner (of Scearce & Ketner) recently did an editorial cartoon that ran in the Tideland News depicting Emerald Isle's oceanfront as being full of condos except for Bogue Inlet Pier, the date was set somewhere in the not too distant future.

I've heard of those guys...are they the Parrothead type? :lol: If you haven't seen Salter Path anytime lately, that depiction should start there...

If you had a chance to pick it up I hope you're enjoying it.

I hope y'all had a very nice weekend as well. Mine was very busy and I even ended up staying one more night just to see the VibeKillers do a late night show at Slim's on Sunday. I'm gettin' too old for this shit.

We picked up "Decoration Day" last night, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it :thumbsup: There is not one on here that I dislike. My favorite so far is 'Outfit'. It has a strange 'John Prine' feel to it, and I really like him. I hear quite a few other bands sounds in the Truckers' style of music (The Stones, Dylan, Neil Young, and a couple others that are on the tip of my tongue :lol: ) This is a pretty dark album, but I enjoy dark albums :D Kyna's almost on the 'Truck'...I think she needs a few more listens :lol:

So which one's next? :thumbsup:

Actually, Chuck got to listen to the album all the way to work and back today...and then a couple more times after that at home :lol: So I haven't heard it as much as he has...I'm warming up to it though. They have really interesting lyrics...

My only problem is that the album makes me want to cry. A lot :lol: I have a hard time listening to sad music...a lot of things I hear in the lyrics remind me of something in my life...

My favourite song was 'Loaded Gun in the Closet'....that one was very cool to me...

We were gonna try to get to Raleigh on the 18th for the Hurricanes-Oilers hockey game...maybe we could check them out after the game. Guess we'll have to check out the logistics of that :lol:

I'm not sure what time the games are usually over but I do know that there's an opening band at the Pour House that night and Patty Hurst Shifter usually doesn't go on until late. And, they almost always play right up 'til closing time.

I've heard of those guys...are they the Parrothead type? :lol: If you haven't seen Salter Path anytime lately, that depiction should start there...

Yep, they do a lot of Buffett covers and have pretty much staked their reputation on that. I'm a pretty big Buffett fan myself but mainly of the early stuff. To their credit, Scearce and Ketner are much more than a Buffett cover band as they have three albums of original material. Some of it is in the Buffett vein but a great deal of it is not. You can check 'em out here: http://www.scearceandketner.com

As for Salter Path, it's been several months since I've been down that way but I have seen the ads for the condos that are being developed down there.

We picked up "Decoration Day" last night, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it :thumbsup: There is not one on here that I dislike. My favorite so far is 'Outfit'. It has a strange 'John Prine' feel to it, and I really like him. I hear quite a few other bands sounds in the Truckers' style of music (The Stones, Dylan, Neil Young, and a couple others that are on the tip of my tongue :lol: ) This is a pretty dark album, but I enjoy dark albums :D Kyna's almost on the 'Truck'...I think she needs a few more listens :lol:

I know of tons of friends that always attended their shows locally but could never quite get into their records. That all changed with Decoration Day. I think the addition of Jason Isbell as a guitarist/vocalist/songwriter (he penned Outfit as well as the title track) helped make the Truckers' sound more accessible. And yes, it is a very dark record but during the time of it's making, the band was just coming off the recording of Southern Rock Opera and were going through their fair share of divorces and personal strife.

So which one's next? :thumbsup:

I recommend Southern Rock Opera but if you feel yourself drawn more towards Jason's songs, I recommend the next one after Decoration Day, The Dirty South.

Actually, Chuck got to listen to the album all the way to work and back today...and then a couple more times after that at home :lol: So I haven't heard it as much as he has...I'm warming up to it though. They have really interesting lyrics...

My only problem is that the album makes me want to cry. A lot :lol: I have a hard time listening to sad music...a lot of things I hear in the lyrics remind me of something in my life...

My favourite song was 'Loaded Gun in the Closet'....that one was very cool to me...

As I mentioned above, it is a very dark album at times, as is a lot of their work. It's not that they're not happy, they just choose to shine a light on subjects you don't see as the topics of songs very often. Cool that you like Loaded Gun In the Closet as Cooley is one of my favorite songwriters in the band. He also has such a unique way with words that you can sometimes interpret his tunes in at least two or three different ways, all of which make perfect sense.

Edited by Jahfin

I'm not sure what time the games are usually over but I do know that there's an opening band at the Pour House that night and Patty Hurst Shifter usually doesn't go on until late. And, they almost always play right up 'til closing time.

Most games are over by 9:30...I don't know how far the Pour House is from the RBC Center. We'll have to check that one out...

Yep, they do a lot of Buffett covers and have pretty much staked their reputation on that. I'm a pretty big Buffett fan myself but mainly of the early stuff. To their credit, Scearce and Ketner are much more than a Buffett cover band as they have three albums of original material. Some of it is in the Buffett vein but a great deal of it is not.

I used to listen to some old Buffett, but that was in the early 80's. One song I remember...the lyrics went " My head hurts, my feet stink and I don't love Jesus" :lol: I thought that was a great line and it stuck in my head to this day :lol:

As for Salter Path, it's been several months since I've been down that way but I have seen the ads for the condos that are being developed down there.

I went through Salter Path the other day and the one place on the oceanfront had two cranes that were probably a couple hundred feet high, and another crane across the street was probably 100-150 feet high :lol: I think Salter Path is going to turn into Atlantic City before Atlantic Beach :lol:

I know of tons of friends that always attended their shows locally but could never quite get into their records. That all changed with Decoration Day. I think the addition of Jason Isbell as a guitarist/vocalist/songwriter (he penned Outfit as well as the title track) helped make the Truckers' sound more accessible. And yes, it is a very dark record but during the time of it's making, the band was just coming off the recording of Southern Rock Opera and were going through their fair share of divorces and personal strife.

Yeah...I'm really liking the whole album. Besides divorces and personal strife, I think there were some daddy issues there :lol:

I recommend Southern Rock Opera but if you feel yourself drawn more towards Jason's songs, I recommend the next one after Decoration Day, The Dirty South.

I think we'll just pick up both of them and go from there :D

As I mentioned above, it is a very dark album at times, as is a lot of their work. It's not that they're not happy, they just choose to shine a light on subjects you don't see as the topics of songs very often. Cool that you like Loaded Gun In the Closet as Cooley is one of my favorite songwriters in the band. He also has such a unique way with words that you can sometimes interpret his tunes in at least two or three different ways, all of which make perfect sense.

Haha, I was just mentioning that to Chuck while were were listening to 'Loaded Gun in the Closet'...I was thinking, is the loaded gun in the closet meant to shoot herself with, or her husband if she gets tired of it all? :lol: I don't know if that's what you're talking about though...:D

I rode around with Chuck all day for work, and he played the album through a couple of times again...I'm liking it better and better :lol:

Although, because he's so excited about getting the CD's right now, he's seriously cutting down on my options for his Christmas presents... :rolleyes: (Aren't you dear? :lol:)

Most games are over by 9:30...I don't know how far the Pour House is from the RBC Center. We'll have to check that one out...

I don't think it's all that far but Mapblast/quest is your friend.

I used to listen to some old Buffett, but that was in the early 80's. One song I remember...the lyrics went " My head hurts, my feet stink and I don't love Jesus" :lol: I thought that was a great line and it stuck in my head to this day :lol:

Thanks to an older brother that turned me onto him back in the early 70s, I've been a fan ever since. Can't say I'm really into the whole Parrothead regalia thing but I do love the music.

I went through Salter Path the other day and the one place on the oceanfront had two cranes that were probably a couple hundred feet high, and another crane across the street was probably 100-150 feet high :lol: I think Salter Path is going to turn into Atlantic City before Atlantic Beach :lol:

That's a cryin' shame. I hope to get down there for a visit soon but it's liable not to be until after the first of the year. When I do, I'll have to be sure to take a cruise down Salter Path/AB way.

Yeah...I'm really liking the whole album. Besides divorces and personal strife, I think there were some daddy issues there :lol:

I love the album myself, definitely one of my faves by the DBTs but I oftentimes find myself skipping over Your Daddy Hates Me. It's a great song and can really hit home for anyone that's been through a similar situation but it can be a little too dirge-like for me on occasion.

I think we'll just pick up both of them and go from there :D

Cool. I hope you enjoy them.

By the way, if you find yourselves really drawn to the Jason Isbell songs, he just released his long awaited solo album this year, Sirens of the Ditch. Unfortunately it meant he had to get kicked out of DBT before New West Records would release it.

Haha, I was just mentioning that to Chuck while were were listening to 'Loaded Gun in the Closet'...I was thinking, is the loaded gun in the closet meant to shoot herself with, or her husband if she gets tired of it all? :lol: I don't know if that's what you're talking about though...:D

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I think it takes a hell of a songwriter to leave a song open to interpretation like that and Cooley is a very fine example.

I rode around with Chuck all day for work, and he played the album through a couple of times again...I'm liking it better and better :lol:

Glad to hear you're liking it. Their studio records are great but seeing them live is the real deal. Tour dates for 2008 were just announced but there's none for NC. Yet.

Thanks to an older brother that turned me onto him back in the early 70s, I've been a fan ever since. Can't say I'm really into the whole Parrothead regalia thing but I do love the music.

I do remember him having some good music. Not the mainstream stuff that you hear on the radio everyday...I really enjoyed that stuff.

That's a cryin' shame. I hope to get down there for a visit soon but it's liable not to be until after the first of the year. When I do, I'll have to be sure to take a cruise down Salter Path/AB way.

Yeah it's quite amazing what they're doing in SP. If you want to hook up with Kyna and I while you're down, let us know :D I wouldn't mind sittin down and chattin with you for a bit :D

I love the album myself, definitely one of my faves by the DBTs but I oftentimes find myself skipping over Your Daddy Hates Me. It's a great song and can really hit home for anyone that's been through a similar situation but it can be a little too dirge-like for me on occasion.

I do like that song, but I understand where you're coming from :lol: I'm really getting into "When the Pin Hits the Shell"...The lyrics in these songs are quite amazing, though I'm not much on lyrics I like good phrasing and simple profundity. This music is up my alley :thumbsup:

Cool. I hope you enjoy them.

By the way, if you find yourselves really drawn to the Jason Isbell songs, he just released his long awaited solo album this year, Sirens of the Ditch. Unfortunately it meant he had to get kicked out of DBT before New West Records would release it.

I'll let you know just as soon as I get them and get over this album :lol:

I do remember him having some good music. Not the mainstream stuff that you hear on the radio everyday...I really enjoyed that stuff.

He's still got some pretty good material even if his days as a songwriter seem to be over. These days he continues to show the same impeccable taste in covering other, lesser known writers that he always had. Case in point: his newest studio album, Take the Weather With You that includes Buffettized renditions of songs by Jesse Winchester, Guy Clark, Gillian Welch, Mary Gauthier, Mark Knopfler and others.

Yeah it's quite amazing what they're doing in SP. If you want to hook up with Kyna and I while you're down, let us know :D I wouldn't mind sittin down and chattin with you for a bit :D

Cool deal, I'll be sure to drop you a line the next time I'm down that way for any length of time. As for Salter Path and the surrounding areas, it's only one step closer to making prophetic works like King Mackerel and the Blues Are Running come true. In that musical production the "Greedheads" (aka real estate developers) take over the dunes and convert the NC coast into a concrete nightmare. The play was put on in Morehead a couple of years ago and returns to the NC coast when it hits Wilmington on January 31, 2008. You may recognize a couple of the players as Don Dixon (R.E.M. producer as well as many other artists and as a member of Raleigh's Arrogance) and Bland Simpson (noted NC nature author, member of the Red Clay Ramblers and frequent UNC-TV host). More info on Dixon's MySpace site here:

http://www.myspace.com/dondixonsmusic

I do like that song, but I understand where you're coming from :lol: I'm really getting into "When the Pin Hits the Shell"...The lyrics in these songs are quite amazing, though I'm not much on lyrics I like good phrasing and simple profundity. This music is up my alley :thumbsup:

Glad to hear it. I appreciate good songwriting myself and there's plenty of it to be found in the Truckers' songs.

I'll let you know just as soon as I get them and get over this album :lol:

Good to know you're enjoying it so much. Southern Rock Opera is a bit rawer production-wise and can be a bit unwieldy in it's tackling of the many themes at work on the record but overall it includes some of the DBTs' best work.

Cool deal, I'll be sure to drop you a line the next time I'm down that way for any length of time. As for Salter Path and the surrounding areas, it's only one step closer to making prophetic works like King Mackerel and the Blues Are Running come true. In that musical production the "Greedheads" (aka real estate developers) take over the dunes and convert the NC coast into a concrete nightmare. The play was put on in Morehead a couple of years ago and returns to the NC coast when it hits Wilmington on January 31, 2008. You may recognize a couple of the players as Don Dixon (R.E.M. producer as well as many other artists and as a member of Raleigh's Arrogance) and Bland Simpson (noted NC nature author, member of the Red Clay Ramblers and frequent UNC-TV host). More info on Dixon's MySpace site here:

Yeah, I think it would be cool to get together. I never heard of that play. Went to that Don Dixon site, the name sounds very familiar...I read some of his credits and was impressed with some of the names on there. I remember the Smithereens and I liked what little bit of them that I heard. There was a host of other names on there that I liked too. I was liking the music on the Dixon site...although it was Christmas music :lol: Very jazzy.

Good to know you're enjoying it so much. Southern Rock Opera is a bit rawer production-wise and can be a bit unwieldy in it's tackling of the many themes at work on the record but overall it includes some of the DBTs' best work.

Can't wait to tackle the next 'project' :lol: Might have to wait till Santa brings something to me :lol: If not, it'll be on the agenda...;)

Yeah, I think it would be cool to get together. I never heard of that play. Went to that Don Dixon site, the name sounds very familiar...I read some of his credits and was impressed with some of the names on there. I remember the Smithereens and I liked what little bit of them that I heard. There was a host of other names on there that I liked too. I was liking the music on the Dixon site...although it was Christmas music :lol: Very jazzy.

Hopefully ya'll can make it to the Patty Hurst Shifter show. I think you guys would really enjoy them. They definitely know how to bring the rock.

I first heard of Don Dixon through his NC band Arrogance who still get together for the occasional reunion gig. Shortly thereafter I was hearing of him and Mitch Easter (of NC's Let's Active) through their production credits for R.E.M. To tie this in with the Truckers, their most recent album, A Blessing And A Curse, was recorded at Mitch's studio in Kernersville, NC "The Fidelitorium".

Can't wait to tackle the next 'project' :lol: Might have to wait till Santa brings something to me :lol: If not, it'll be on the agenda...;)

If you like Decoration Day, I think you will enjoy either of the other two recommendations I made. Hopefully Santa will be kind to ya.

• 2 months later...
From this week's Tideland News:

312Island5.jpg

Recent action by Swansboro commissioners will allow a

two-slip dock on Pelican Island , home of the colorful "party boat" Corina.

(File photo)

I'll be passing by that boat in about 20 minutes!!!

It's going to be a beautiful day on The Crystal Coast, sunny and about 74....perfect working weather :rolleyes:

I'll be passing by that boat in about 20 minutes!!!

It's going to be a beautiful day on The Crystal Coast, sunny and about 74....perfect working weather :rolleyes:

I do miss the coast. I'll be back down there for a visit in a few weeks but unfortunately won't be around for long.