Drive-By Truckers Announce The Home Front World Tour

Jahfin

ANNOUNCEMENT: THE HOME FRONT WORLD TOUR

We are thrilled to announce the beginning of our 2008 touring season.

We will be kicking The Home Front World Tour 2008 off with a three night stand at our home base Athens GA's Fabulous 40 Watt Club on January 10, 11 and 12.

The first night, January 10th will be a special benefit show for Nuci's Space - Artist's Resource Center DBT will play their new album BRIGHTER THAN CREATION'S DARK live in it's entirety, for what may be the only time ever.

Two of our favorite bands: Don Chambers and GOAT and Bo Bedingfield and the Wydelles will open.

Friday Jan. 11th and Saturday Jan. 12th will be full on Rock Shows and the premiere of our new tour.

Openers will be Glossary (from Murfreesboro TN) on Friday the 11th and The Dexateens (from Tuscaloosa AL) will open on the 12th.

These are two of the best bands in America so don't miss them.

Stay Tuned for announcements of further tourdates in Europe and USA very soon.

See you at The Home Front Rock Show,

Drive-By Truckers

BUY TICKETS STARTING NOV 30 AT 12PM EST

I hope this tour better than the last. I caught them early on the TDU Tour and it seemed like something was missing. The shows suffered without Jason, Neff is a decent player but his tone and solos just didn't seem to leap out like Jason's, hopefully time has cured that.

Edited by danelectro

I hope this tour better than the last. I caught them early on the TDU Tour and it seemed like something was missing. The shows suffered without Jason, Neff is a decent player but his tone and solos just didn't seem to leap out like Jason's, hopefully time has cured that.

I don't think Neff is meant to be any sort of replacement for Jason Isbell, (especially in the lead guitar department) so I wouldn't look for anything to "cure" that. I caught two shows this year, one at the House of Blues in Myrtle Beach and one when they opened for the Allman Brothers Band in Raleigh. Both of them were good but the show where they opened for the Allmans was better. I think Jason getting booted from the band dealt them a deadly blow, especially to fans that only know the Truckers from their Isbell years. To me, this is just another change in a band that has done nothing but change since the very beginning (http://oneofthesedays.org/timeline.php). Some will like it, some won't.

Yeah I'm aware of their history, I was into the band long before Jason came on board and first became aware of the band after I saw their early albums advertised in indie rags. Honestly he was my least favorite of the 3 songwriters, I didn't really care for his contributions to ABAC. But I do think Neff was and is trying to fill the same musical space Jason once occupied, not necessarily in immitation but to fill the holes and it just isn't working out. He seems like he's a step or two below the musical abilities of the rest of the DBT, somewhat tame and amatuerish.

Just when they were starting to get enough live fire power were it sounded like the band was ready to make the leap from small theaters to bigger halls with a big sound and powerful show Jason's departure knocked them back a bit. The biggest difference from their previous changes is all those were a step forward and I truly feel they went backwards this time. Oh well no biggie, I've moved past them in a way, more like stepped into the past, blues and Brit blues rock is pretty much all I listen to anymore. No matter how many newer bands I "discover" I always go back to where I started.

Yeah I'm aware of their history, I was into the band long before Jason came on board and first became aware of the band after I saw their early albums advertised in indie rags. Honestly he was my least favorite of the 3 songwriters, I didn't really care for his contributions to ABAC. But I do think Neff was and is trying to fill the same musical space Jason once occupied, not necessarily in immitation but to fill the holes and it just isn't working out. He seems like he's a step or two below the musical abilities of the rest of the DBT, somewhat tame and amatuerish.

I honestly have to wonder if you've heard any of his work outside of the DBT and there's loads of it, such as Japancakes for instance. If anything, I'd say he's the most accomplished player in the band. I agree with what you're saying in regards to Jason but Neff's style is just that, he's far too laidback and subtle to take the DBT back in the direction they were headed with Jason. In other words, it just wouldn't fit his personality to step up front and start ripping away at some firey leads. That's just not gonna happen. That's why I say this is just another stage of change in a band that's seen their fair share. The DBT is a different beast yet again. It's going to be interesting to see how many stick with them through this next record, especially those still smarting from Jason's departure.

In regards to Jason's contributions to the band, I always thought some of his best work (Outfit, Danko/Manuel) was on a par with that of Patterson and Cooley, just more accessible. Some of his songs on A Blessing And A Curse were definitely taking them in a more pop direction but so were Patterson (Wednesday) and Cooley (Gravity's Gone). Still, that was apparently part of the split, also Jason wanting to finally release and tour in support of his solo album. I'm not sure if you've checked the DBTs site recently but Patterson has added new commentary to their discography, most of which will be released on vinyl in the new year:

http://drivebytruckers.com/discography.html

Just when they were starting to get enough live fire power were it sounded like the band was ready to make the leap from small theaters to bigger halls with a big sound and powerful show Jason's departure knocked them back a bit. The biggest difference from their previous changes is all those were a step forward and I truly feel they went backwards this time. Oh well no biggie, I've moved past them in a way, more like stepped into the past, blues and Brit blues rock is pretty much all I listen to anymore. No matter how many newer bands I "discover" I always go back to where I started.

I think they're still recuperating but from the show I saw this summer (with them opening for the Allmans) the fire is still there. I'm watching from the sidelines a bit myself but firmly believe they'll recover from this just as they've done before. With Shonna stepping out front on a few songs with the next record and a slew of live shows on the way I think the DBT still have a quite few aces up their collective sleeves. To me, the DBT have always pretty much been Patterson & Cooley, with this new album they're getting back to that, the core of what made them the Drive-By Truckers to start with.

I am guilty of knowing nothing about Neff's other work, I don't like his style enough to do any research. I am excited about the new album mostly because it has so much Cooley stuff, he's the reason I've stuck it out as long as I have. Not only do I enjoy his writing but I love his playing style. I haven't been to their site in a long time, nor have I been to any of the forums. Like I mentioned before I pretty much only listen to post war blues and Brit blues rock so that's where I spend my time.

I am guilty of knowing nothing about Neff's other work, I don't like his style enough to do any research.

If all you know of his "style" is his work with the Drive-By Truckers over the years then you owe it to yourself to check out the work he's done with some of the literally hundreds of other bands out of Athens. You will immediately be surprised by the man's versatility, not just stylistically but his prowess on a variety of instruments. Some of his work is in the honky tonk vein (Chasers, Star Room Boys) but there is also some of it, such as Japancakes, that is very out there and nothing like you've ever heard him do with the Drive-By Truckers. He's not the Athens go-to musician for no reason.

I am excited about the new album mostly because it has so much Cooley stuff, he's the reason I've stuck it out as long as I have. Not only do I enjoy his writing but I love his playing style. I haven't been to their site in a long time, nor have I been to any of the forums. Like I mentioned before I pretty much only listen to post war blues and Brit blues rock so that's where I spend my time.

I'm a huge Cooley fan myself and his songs sound the most promising for the new record (although I've only heard one of Shonna's, "I'm Sorry, Huston"). That's also not to discount Patterson, as Goode's Field Road is finally going to make it onto an album, albeit in a radically re-worked version. As for Patterson's updated comments in the discography section of their site, I discovered those totally by chance when going there to check out something else. I mention them only because I thought you might be interested in his musings regarding A Blessing And A Curse (and some of the other Jason albums) now that time has allowed a little water to pass under the bridge since Jason left the band. I also thought the vinyl thing was pretty cool too, although I hope more care is put into these vinyl issues than was put into the newer release of SRO. It was advertised by Lost Highway as being some sort of new version when in reality it appears to be a way of clearing out old stock. Newer versions apparently also don't come with the "libretto" so I'm glad I snatched it up the first time.

If all you know of his "style" is his work with the Drive-By Truckers over the years then you owe it to yourself to check out the work he's done with some of the literally hundreds of other bands out of Athens. You will immediately be surprised by the man's versatility, not just stylistically but his prowess on a variety of instruments. Some of his work is in the honky tonk vein (Chasers, Star Room Boys) but there is also some of it, such as Japancakes, that is very out there and nothing like you've ever heard him do with the Drive-By Truckers. He's not the Athens go-to musician for no reason.

Yeah I don't doubt he's been involved with some good music and maybe some day when I tire of my current direction I may run across his work and put more into it. Since my primary interest is high powered guitar stuff bands like The Mother Truckers and people like Redd Volkaert are enough to satisfy my need for high octane countrified riffs at this time. But for now I'm mostly content with blues, the amount of older blues available now via reissues etc. is enough to keep me busy for years.

If you ever find yourself with a few extra minutes on your hands be sure to sample some of their tunes at MySpace, they presently have two new albums out, Giving Machines and Loveless:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendID=24787615

Thanks for the link. As luck would have it I'm at work and bored so I'm streaming it in the background. After a few songs my thought is it's not really my cup of tea, sounds more like a movie soundtrack than actual songs. One song reminds of that scene in Repo Man where they fly away in that car at the end.

Thanks for the link. As luck would have it I'm at work and bored so I'm streaming it in the background. After a few songs my thought is it's not really my cup of tea, sounds more like a movie soundtrack than actual songs. One song reminds of that scene in Repo Man where they fly away in that car at the end.

It may not be your cup of tea but at least you gave it a shot. It was also my intention to show you that there is much more to Neff's work than what he's done with the Truckers. Same with Japancakes. Like I said, and I'm not exaggerating here, he's probably worked with hundreds of bands out of Athens and not all of them are of the same style at all. That was my point. Thanks for listening though.

I hope you get to see them. You haven't seen them live yet have you?

Thanks, no I haven't seen them yet.. It must have been quite a few years ago since they last went over here. I don't even know if they've been to Sweden.

Edited by Swede

Thanks, no I haven't seen them yet.. It must have been quite a few years ago since they last went over here. I don't even know if they've been to Sweden.

Yeah, I don't think they've been to Sweden either. I do hope you get a chance to see them this time.

Thanks. If they don't come to Sweden I will try to catch them in London or anywhere near.

They have posted a song from the new album at their myspace, called "A Ghost To Most". Very promising I think. It's a Cooley song.. Sounds deadly!

Thanks. If they don't come to Sweden I will try to catch them in London or anywhere near.

Good luck. I know you've been a fan for a good while now so seeing them live has been a long time coming.

They have posted a song from the new album at their myspace, called "A Ghost To Most". Very promising I think. It's a Cooley song.. Sounds deadly!

You beat me to it, here's the link:

http://www.myspace.com/drivebytruckers

From Jenn, the Truckers' webmistress:

Brighter Than Creation's Dark EP will be available at iTunes and all other DSPs (Rhapsody, Yahoo Music, MSN/Zune) on Tuesday 12/18. Tracks are: Two Daughters And A Beautiful Wife, 3 Dimes Down , The Righteous Path, and The Purgatory Line.

If you buy any track from the EP at iTunes, it will be credited to the purchase of the full album (this is called the Complete My Album program).

A message from Patterson Hood

Y'ALL:

As we approach these danged Holidays, we're all busy as can be trying to tie up all of the loose ends from 2007 as we move forward into 2008.

DRIVE-BY TRUCKERS - BRIGHTER THAN CREATION'S DARK

As everyone by now knows, New West Records will be releasing our new album on Jan. 22 (Jan. 21 in Europe).

It is 19 songs and over 75 minutes on one CD (2 Vinyl Albums) and we are confident as to it being our best album yet.

Today we're adding two new songs to our MySpace page; you can hear The Righteous Path and I'm Sorry Huston as well as A Ghost To Most .

THE HOME FRONT WORLD TOUR 2008.

We are pleased to announce dates for the first two legs of THE HOME FRONT WORLD TOUR 2008.

The tour, which will be previewed in Athens GA on Jan. 10-13 begins in Anaheim CA on Feb. 11th.

The Feb. dates will be supported by The Felice Brothers. I haven't seen them live, but their songs on myspace are fantastic and my friends who have seen them have raved about how great they are.

The first two shows (Anaheim and LA on the 12th) will also feature support by our dear friends THE NORTH MISSISSIPPI ALL STARS.

Anyone who's ever seen them can vouch for them being one of the finest bands in the land.

Support for the second leg (March) hasn't been announced yet so stay tuned.

Mon Feb 11 - Anaheim CA - HOUSE OF BLUES w/North Mississippi Allstars, The Felice Brothers

Tue Feb 12 - Los Angeles - CA - AVALON w/North Mississippi Allstars, The Felice Brothers

Wed Feb 13 - San Francisco CA - MEZZANINE w/ The Felice Brothers

Fri Feb 15 - Portland OR - ROSELAND - w/ The Felice Brothers

Sat Feb 16 - Seattle WA - SHOWBOX w/ The Felice Brothers

Sun Feb 17 - Seattle WA - SHOWBOX - w/ The Felice Brothers

Tue Feb 19 - Boise ID - BIG EASY CONCERT HOUSE - w/ The Felice Brothers

Wed Feb 20 - Salt Lake City UT - THE PALADIUM w/ The Felice Brothers

Thu Feb 21 - Aspen CO - BELLY UP w/ The Felice Brothers

Fri Feb 22 - Denver CO - OGDEN THEATRE w/ The Felice Brothers

Sat Feb 23 - Boulder CO - FOX THEATRE w/ The Felice Brothers

Mon Feb 25 - Omaha NE - SLOWDOWN w/ The Felice Brothers

Tue Feb 26 - Columbia MO - BLUE NOTE w/ The Felice Brothers

Wed Feb 27 - Urbana IL - CANOPY CLUB w/ The Felice Brothers

Thu Feb 28 - Milwaukee WI - PABST THEATRE w/ The Felice Brothers

Fri Feb 29 - St. Louis MO - PAGEANT w/ The Felice Brothers

Sat Mar 01 - Louisville KY - HEADLINERS MUSIC HALL w/ The Felice Brothers

Fri Mar 14 - Memphis TN - MINGLEWOOD HALL

Sat Mar 15 - Nashville TN - CANNERY BALLROOM

Sun Mar 16 - Newport - KY - SOUTHGATE HOUSE

Tue Mar 18 - Millvale PA - MR SMALLS THEATRE

Wed Mar 19 - Toronto ONT - OPERA HOUSE

Thu Mar 20 - Montreal QUE - CABARET MUSIC HALL

Fri Mar 21 - Northampton MA - PEARL STREET

Sat Mar 22 - Boston MA - PARADISE ROCK CLUB

Tue Mar 25 - New Haven CT - TOADS PLACE

Wed Mar 26 - New York NY - TERMINAL 5

Thu Mar 27 - Philadelphia PA - THE FILLMORE @ THE TLA

Fri Mar 28 - Richmond VA - THE NATIONAL

Sat Mar 29 - Asheville NC - ORANGE PEEL

GRAMMY NOMINATION for BETTYE LAVETTE ALBUM

Congrats to Bettye for being nominated for Best Contemporary Blues Album at this upcoming years' Grammy Awards.

We are proud to be a part of that fine album and wish her luck and hopefully a victory party will be forthcoming.

Congrats also for Bettye being nominated for 3 BLUES MUSIC AWARDS (Formerly the WC Handy Award) including a nomination for Best Album.

DRIVE-BY TRUCKERS - BRIGHTER THAN CREATION'S DARK EP will be available at iTunes and all other DSP's (Rhapsody, Yahoo Music, MSN/Zune) on Tuesday 12/18.

Tracks for this EP are: TWO DAUGHTERS AND A BEAUTIFUL WIFE, 3 DIMES DOWN, THE RIGHTEOUS PATH, and THE PURGATORY LINE.

If you buy any track from the EP at iTunes, it will be credited to the purchase of the full album (this is called the Complete My Album program).

EUROPEAN TOUR POSTPONED (for now)

We are very displeased and disappointed to announce that due to circumstances beyond our control, we are having to postpone our European Tour.

As a band that prides itself on almost never canceling shows (less than 10 in 22 years with over 1200 shows played in the last eleven) we take these things very seriously.

We do however plan to reschedule and perform in Europe later in the year.

We are sincerely sorry for any inconvenience that this might have caused and will do everything in our power to make this up to all of you as soon as humanly possible.

We can't wait to bring the new show and new songs over there.

We hope to be rescheduling dates for Holland, Belgium, Spain and The UK in the very near future.

NUCI'S SPACE BENEFIT / BRIGHTER THAN CREATION'S DARK played Live in its entirety

Finally a reminder that we will be playing the new album in its entirety LIVE at The Fabulous 40 Watt Club in Athens GA on Jan. 10, 2008.

We are doing this as part of our annual benefit for NUCI'S SPACE Music Resource Center.

The bill will also feature performances by Don Chambers and GOAT and Bo Beddingfield and The Wydelles.

Tickets are on sale now, but going fast.

FINALLY:

We want to thank everyone for their support this past year. 2007 was a busy crazy year (and to think it was supposed to be our year of taking it easy). The Dirt Undcerneath Tour was successful beyond all our best hopes and thanks to each and everyone of you for making this one of our best years ever.

HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON AND MAY 2008 BE YOUR BEST YEAR YET.

See You At The Really Big Loud Rock Show.

Patterson Hood and the Drive-By Truckers Family

Pre-Order Bonus!

http://drivebytruckers.com/news.html

Pre-order the new album Brighter Than Creations Dark from the official Drive-By Truckers store for your chance to be entered in a drawing for one of 2 grand prizes to include a signed poster, a gift certificate for $100 of merchandise from the official Drive-By Truckers store and 2 tickets to an upcoming headlining Drive-By Truckers show of your choice. In addition, the first 100 people to purchase the Brighter Than Creations Dark CD & T-shirt bundle will ALSO receive a signed tour poster from the Drive-By Truckers.

Contest begins December 20, 2007 and ends January 22, 2008. To guarantee deliver on the release date, domestic customers must select the express shipping option and place their orders by 3 PM on January 18. All pre-orders taken by this time will ship that Friday. The release date delivery option is not available for international customers. Orders that ship by the standard shipping method will take between 3-5 business days to arrive.

Remember, only the first 100 people who order the Brighter Than Creations Dark CD & T-shirt bundle will receive a signed poster, so hurry up and order yours today!