How the West Was Won Album Cover

EaglesOfOneNest

19 hours ago, EaglesOfOneNest said:

Anyone else love this album cover? I think the photos of the band are some of the best I've seen. 

I have absolutely no problem with the four individual photos. IMHO It's the overall art work design that feels really cheap A substandard desk top compositing job. It reminds me more of a box for a family board game than a cover of a great live album. The idea behind it was to mimic a fifties Western movie poster ( hence the typography & the album's title). But it makes  no sense: Bonzo hammering his Ludwig kit, Jimmy and Jonesy clutching their respective Gibson double neck and Fender instruments? Our heroes conquering the Wild West?

The BBC sessions artwork was not a graphic design masterpiece, but at least it had no pretense. it just screamed 'this is an archival release'. HTWWW would have faired better if a great live picture was used, or a stark image like their Welcome back 72 tour ad, maybe? 72-na-tourad-.jpg.5f05588e48c79134e9548669eaab41ce.jpg

• 6 months later...
On 8/9/2018 at 12:45 AM, duckman said:

I have absolutely no problem with the four individual photos. IMHO It's the overall art work design that feels really cheap A substandard desk top compositing job. It reminds me more of a box for a family board game than a cover of a great live album. The idea behind it was to mimic a fifties Western movie poster ( hence the typography & the album's title). But it makes  no sense: Bonzo hammering his Ludwig kit, Jimmy and Jonesy clutching their respective Gibson double neck and Fender instruments? Our heroes conquering the Wild West?

The BBC sessions artwork was not a graphic design masterpiece, but at least it had no pretense. it just screamed 'this is an archival release'. HTWWW would have faired better if a great live picture was used, or a stark image like their Welcome back 72 tour ad, maybe? 72-na-tourad-.jpg.5f05588e48c79134e9548669eaab41ce.jpg

I hear the airplane-like echo intro to "Celebration Day" from III looking at this ad.🛩️

Archived