Bron-yr-aur Stomp: Hybrid style picking?

selection7

I'm trying to learn Bron-yr-aur Stomp. I can reallly fly using just my thumb, pointer, and middle fingers...but when I try what I assume is the hybrid style that Jimmy uses (either pick+two fingers, or pick+ one finger, I'm not sure which) it's so much more difficult I'm finding it discouraging. Do you think that's really how he did it or did he use some sort of finger-picking aids affixed to his fingertips?

Let me clarify that I'm talking about the album version, if it makes any difference.

Yeah. No need to be exactly like Jimmy. It's just like with Jason and his double-bass pedal. We all have different ways of doing things.

Actually, I'm not positive how Jimmy does it. Also, I understand where you're coming from...but the difference in sound is just too much. A pick has a much stronger attack than a bare thumb. That, and after the song's intro, the song is outright strummed, which is also best with a pick.

I guess I'll look into those thumb-affixed picks (he uses one on GtCalifornia on the LZDVD), but in the meantime I'd still like to know how others think Jimmy is doing it. On the LZDVD he is using a hybrid picking that is just ridiculous, but he's Jimmy Page I guess and has had a lot of practice. However, considering Jimmy transposed the entire guitar part for that live DGDGDB tuning (rather than the CFCFAF album tuning--which I double checked spectrally), it's conceivable he also changed the picking method. Also, the album version has a much slower tempo, which may have been out of necessity for all I know.

Archived