Led Zeppelin comes and . . . goes (concert review)

Cat

Chronical Telegram Elyria, Ohio

Tues., Oct. 28, 1969

Led Zeppelin comes and . . . goes

By MIKE CLARY

Cleveland. 8:32 p m.: Grand Funk Railroad comes in late. But they come on strong, sounding very heavy under the big pink WIXY 1260 sign and Public Auditorium fills with red and purple music

And things are good for 2,000 kids, freaks, and music.

FEELERS

For 58 very hard minutes. Cleveland. 9:50 p.m.: Led Zeppelin just appears. The look is that particular

brand of London freak — short on leather — and the colors in the hall change from deep solid to pink and white, like the white satin trousers of

JIMMY PAGE

the musician, the magician, who plucks effects, acidity- blue atmosphere from his guitar, and

MUSIC.

The light is not red but white, and hundreds of music technicians, and, yes, two screaming girls, crowd up front — really out front — to see close up, and where one ear anyway is next to an eight-foot amplifier speaker. and everyone looks at Jimmy Page's very fast fingers except in the black

where a heady haze wraps around the music, and in the back people move, or stand alone or not. and things are good in the back. While up front Jimmy Page uses a bow, and does many things, as a hassle starts with fire aisles between the seats, which have been a hassle (no blankets), and a man calls for the Angels to make a fire lane through the Page watchers, and they do.

AND NOBODY HASSLES A HELL'S ANGEL.

In the back, in the front, in the balcony, on stage, in the seats in the middle, the music goes on for a while, and then Led Zeppelin disappears.

A crowd of only 2,000? Purple and red music?! Unsure what the author was smoking that night. This is perhaps the earliest reference I have seen to Jimmy being a magician.

I have submitted this article for inclusion in the Official Timeline. Thanks, Cat!

I love the "white satin trousers"!

He wore white satin trousers for the concerts in Long Beach in March 1975. Photos from

the Zep era show a rather eclectic wardrobe. How about all those early 1970s photos of Jimmy dressed in layers...shirt under another shirt under a Zoso sweater :lol:

He wore white satin trousers for the concerts in Long Beach in March 1975. Photos from

the Zep era show a rather eclectic wardrobe. How about all those early 1970s photos of Jimmy dressed in layers...shirt under another shirt under a Zoso sweater :lol:

Or how about the show (Bath Festival?) that he was wearing a long tweed coat & a farmers hat? Yuck!

BTW- what is the story behind the Zoso sweater? Who made it? The first time I saw it on him was a pic on the insert of the very first bootleg album I ever got "The 1975 World Tour" (Montreal). It looked a bit too small for him, unless it had shrunk in the wash. :D

Or how about the show (Bath Festival?) that he was wearing a long tweed coat & a farmers hat? Yuck!

BTW- what is the story behind the Zoso sweater? Who made it? The first time I saw it on him was a pic on the insert of the very first bootleg album I ever got "The 1975 World Tour" (Montreal). It looked a bit too small for him, unless it had shrunk in the wash. :D

Someone once described his Bath Festival (6/28/70) attire as the "Farmer Giles look".

"Farmer Giles of Ham" (written by Tolkien in 1947, published in 1949) is a short story

about a series of encounters between a certain Farmer Giles and a wily dragon named Chrysophylax.

I believe that red Zoso sweater appeared in 1971 to coincide with the release of the album. Not sure who knitted it. If it was presented to him as a gift, as I suspect it was,

it would explain why it is actually far too small for him.

Archived