Drive-By Truckers "The Fine Print"

Jahfin

According to the Discography and Tour Dates sections of their website, The Fine Print (A Collection of Oddities & Rarities 2003-2008) is due this fall and the full length edition of their recent appearance on Austin City Limits will be out on DVD in July. As rumor has it the The Fine Print will be their last release on New West.

Drive-By Truckers on NPR's Mountain Stage

The Drive-By Truckers performance on NPR's Mountain Stage will be airing during the weekend of May 15-17. A list of stations that broadcast Mountain Stage can be found here: http://www.mountainstage.org/mtnstagebroadcast.aspx

The following week their individual set will be posted at http://www.npr.org/mountainstage and archived for continued access.

• 4 weeks later...

Drive-By Truckers Polish Up Unreleased Songs For New Album

The Fine Print (A Collection Of Oddities and Rarities 2003-2008)

CD, Double Vinyl and Digital Download Available September 1, 2009

LIVE FROM AUSTIN, TX CD / DVD AVAILABLE ON JULY 7, 2009

Features Complete Concert Filmed For PBS-TV's Acclaimed Austin City Limits. Filmed in Hi-Def and in 5.1 Surround Sound

Los Angeles, CA - Drive-By Truckers (DBT) have been making music together for 13 years resulting in 7 critically acclaimed studio albums which could not contain all of the songs written by the band. DBT recently dug into the New West Records vaults, with guidance from longtime producer Dave Barbe, and put finishing touches on a selection of songs that were never quite completed. "For me, it's been a fun stroll through memory lane and a chance to tie up some loose ends" says Patterson Hood. The result of the collaboration is The Fine Print (A Collection Of Oddities and Rarities 2003-2008), a 12-track album of previously unreleased and rare songs, available September 1, 2009. This summer New West will also release Drive-By Trucker's entire Austin City Limits performance as a CD / DVD combination pack as a part of the Live From Austin, TX line.

The Fine Print (A Collection Of Oddities and Rarities 2003-2008) features songs written by band members past and present, including Patterson Hood, Mike Cooley and Jason Isbell. 7 of the twelve songs come from The Dirty South era... a highly creative time for DBT. Hood explains "That was an especially fertile period for the band, as we more or less wrote that album and the one before it, Decoration Day, as well as my first solo album all in a three year period as we were recording and touring behind Southern Rock Opera." The record also contains four covers including "Rebels" by Tom Petty, which the band recorded originally for the TV show King Of The Hill and "Like A Rolling Stone" by Bob Dylan which provided Shonna Tucker with her first ever lead vocal performance on a DBT recording.

Drive-By Truckers graced the Austin City Limits stage on September 26, 2008 while touring for their last studio album Brighter Than Creation's Dark. A CD/DVD combination package featuring the entire performance will be available on July 7th, 2009. The 13 songs, which were filmed in Hi-Def and recorded in 5.1 Surround Sound for the critically acclaimed PBS show, include a mix of new songs from Brighter Than Creation's Dark alongside the classics "Let There Be Rock" and "18 Wheels Of Love" (off their first album Gangstabilly) and "Marry Me" (from Decoration Day). The band line-up featured is Patterson Hood, Mike Cooley, Shonna Tucker, John Neff, Brad Morgan and Jay Gonzalez.

dbt.jpg

The Fine Print (A Collection Of Oddities and Rarities 2003-2008)

1. George Jones Talkin' Cell Phone Blues

2. Rebels

3. Uncle Frank (alternate version)

4. TVA

5. Goode's Field Road (alternate version)

6. The Great Car Dealer War

7. Mama Bake A Pie (Daddy Kill A Chicken)

8. When The Well Runs Dry

9. Mrs. Claus' Kimono

10. Play It All Night Long

11. Little Pony And The Great Big Horse

12. Like A Rolling Stone

51FgSKaFIkL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Live From Austin, TX

1. Perfect Timing

2. Heathens

3. A Ghost To Most

4. The Righteous Path

5. I'm Sorry Huston

6. 3 Dimes Down

7. Puttin' People On The Moon

8. Space City

9. The Living Bubba

10. Zip City

11. 18 Wheels Of Love

12. Let There Be Rock

13. Marry Me

• 2 months later...

I haven't given much time or thought to DBT lately, I suppose I should pick up the dvd and "new" one Tue.

I think Live From Austin, TX is a very fine representation of DBT these days. While there's aspects of the Dirty South: Live at the 40 Watt DVD I enjoy, even the band doesn't seem all that happy with it in retrospect. My main gripe at the time was that it's so poorly lit (it is the 40 Watt after all) that you seem to be watching silhouettes during a great deal of the concert. Then there's Alabama Ass Whuppin', a great document of how raw DBT were at that time but they've grown tremendously (not to mention the multiple line up changes) since then.

Not sure if you've heard Patterson's new solo record but you may find that you enjoy it more than the last DBT studio record. It took a little while to grow on me but now that it has it's easily shaping up to be one of my very favorites of 2009. Not that it doesn't have it's flaws (because it does) but I've grown to love it nevertheless.

As for live DBT, I'll be taking in night two of their two night stand at Charlotte's Visulite Theatre this weekend. I haven't seen them since November of last year when they were co-headlining with the Hold Steady on the Rock n' Roll Means Well tour so I'm looking very forward to it. Especially the fact that there's no opener, it'll be "an evening with the DBT".

I might check out Patterson's latest solo album. Though it was him that kind of led to my disinterest in DBT, it seemed he was rewritting the same few songs over and over to me. I still really like the band but it's Cooley's stuff that interests me most.

Side note. You know as much as I liked Jason in DBT I've never bonded with anything he's done since DBT. Honestly I think my taste has changed, the last few Wilco albums didn't hold my interest long either and I haven't bothered to pick up Son Volt's new one yet. DBT, Wilco and Son Volt were bands that were once huge in my life.

I might check out Patterson's latest solo album. Though it was him that kind of led to my disinterest in DBT, it seemed he was rewritting the same few songs over and over to me. I still really like the band but it's Cooley's stuff that interests me most.

Agreed on Patterson, especially musically. There's even a song or three on his new solo album that start out with the exact same chord pattern he's used dozens of times. It's that sort of thing that initially turned me off of Murdering Oscar but the more I listened, the more it grew on me. Even some of my favorite songwriters such as John Prine and Guy Clark have employed the same chord progressions time after time. I guess it's just something that goes along with anyone's "signature" sound. I'm also a huge Cooley fan, I never seem to tire of his approach to songwriting, for which he has a true gift. As for Patterson's new record, I imagine you could sample a few tunes at either his official site or his MySpace before forking over the bucks.

Side note. You know as much as I liked Jason in DBT I've never bonded with anything he's done since DBT. Honestly I think my taste has changed, the last few Wilco albums didn't hold my interest long either and I haven't bothered to pick up Son Volt's new one yet. DBT, Wilco and Son Volt were bands that were once huge in my life.

Though I fully intend to purchase it, I've never gotten around to picking up Jason's newest album. It's obvious (especially with some of his contributions to A Blessing and A Curse) that he was going in a more pop direction stylistically, a form that doesn't always suit the Truckers. I haven't exactly been taken by the new Wilco either though I did enjoy Sky Blue Sky. Still, I like their Being There/Summerteeth era best, probably because of what Jay Bennett helped to bring to the band. While it's definitely no huge departure, I really like the new Son Volt album. So far it's gotten more spins than Wilco's latest if that means anything.

As far as tastes, I have a friend that says she's now bored with how generic she finds most alt.country so she's all about the "rock" these days. I'm not sure if it's the case with her but I know of more than a few people that don't want to be pigeonholed as far as being into just one type of music so they make these big pronouncements about how they're no longer into "this" and they're into "that". Well, "that" can also pigeonhole you if that's what you're a-feared of. Me? I just roll with the punches and follow my own whims. Sure, I may get into a certain artist or sound for a while but I remain a fan of all kinds of music, just as I've always been. Today I may be into rediscovering an old Black Sabbath record or maybe something new from the Fiery Furnaces. Tomorrow it may be some old reggae, bluegrass or something entirely new. I never know and that is the beauty to me of trying to remain open about where my tastes in music may take me.

I don't know what it is with me other than bluesy guitar stuff holds my interest lately. As much as I like other stuff and as varied as my musical interests usually are I can't shake the bug for bluesy stuff. I've had the same ZZ Top cd's in my car for months. That's kind of odd for me.

Anyway since I have some extra cash I may buy some cd's this weekend and catch up on stuff like the new Son Volt.

• 2 weeks later...

Line by Line: Drive-By Truckers' Shonna Tucker Reads 'The Fine Print'

20090218-drivebytruckers-450.jpg

IT TAKES A LOT of energy to be a Drive-By Truckers fan. The Athens, Ga.-based band is seemingly always on tour, in the studio or working on side projects. Which means there's always new material for fans to digest.

The latest morsel in DBT's musical smorgasbord is "The Fine Print," (New West) a rarities collection culled from throughout the band's storied career.

Such compilation albums are a time-tested stopgap release for some bands, but this album of spare parts actually seems to function as a cohesive whole. It's also the fourth DBT-related release this year: In April, the band backed Booker T. for "Potato Hole," and its subsequent tour; in June, bandleader Patterson Hood put out his second solo album (a solo tour followed); and last month, the band dropped its second live documentary, "Live from Austin Texas," a DVD/CD of a show filmed for PBS's "Austin City Limits" last year.

Think that's too much? Add to it a tour that will swing into the South in October and studio release number eight, which is due next year.

What keeps the DBT machine cranking? Creative compulsion.

"We all have so much in our heads that we want to get out or we'd go insane, I guess," bassist Shonna Tucker said. "It's like a kid — just nervous energy. It's always been the case with three songwriters in the band. There is a lot of creativity that has to come out. We all just love it so much and want to keep it going while it's happening. I figure one day we'll be tired and want to slow down, but not now."

Along with nine original songs (some new, some previously released), "The Fine Print" also finds the band covering Tom Petty, Warren Zevon, Tom T. Hall and Bob Dylan. It even features two songs by former guitarist — and Tucker's ex-husband — Jason Isbell, as well as Tucker's first lead vocal on a DBT recording ("Like a Rolling Stone").

In fact, much of the compilation comes from Tucker's first days in the band. She stepped in as Hood and Co. were finishing 2004's "The Dirty South," re-cutting her bass onto 22 songs that week.

"When I listen to ['The Fine Print'] I think, 'Oh wow, that sounds like me five years ago," she said. "We didn't want to fix it too much — we don't want it to sound like we do now. This is all cool stuff that we thought should be out that we did a long time ago."

To read the rest of the article click here.

Archived