Questions about Led Zeppelin Vinyl...

lilvenom

So I'm starting my vinyl collection in earnest after dumping a lot of my CDs...

and I'm looking to add the entire Zep catalogue to my collection. in searching through used record stores in NY, I have come across the original LPs vs. the reissued LPs of the 1980s. For example, Houses of the Holy was originally issued in 1973 with the US catalogue # SD/M5/TP 7255 and then reissued in the 1980s as SD 19130

what is the difference between the two records? will i hear a difference if the records themselves are in good shape? And I am asking this about the entire catalogue, not just Houses of the Holy. Thanks!

So I'm starting my vinyl collection in earnest after dumping a lot of my CDs...

and I'm looking to add the entire Zep catalogue to my collection. in searching through used record stores in NY, I have come across the original LPs vs. the reissued LPs of the 1980s. For example, Houses of the Holy was originally issued in 1973 with the US catalogue # SD/M5/TP 7255 and then reissued in the 1980s as SD 19130

what is the difference between the two records? will i hear a difference if the records themselves are in good shape? And I am asking this about the entire catalogue, not just Houses of the Holy. Thanks!

You'll find all your answers, looking at my led zeppelin discography http://www.vjez.com/zeppelin .... it's free and it's for reference only.

Ah, what's that M5????

Thanks, but I don't see much on there about whether or not there are differences in sound quality on each version of a release?

Most likely yes, you will have some differences with the two issue's. Hell, you can often find miner and or major quality artifacts on the same run of the same issue!

That's why the digital format(s) is/are better, unless you get some bad disc's or have a malfunction with the gear, you get loss less duplication.

The manufacturing side was changed to digital (at any part of the process) in the late 1980's in most mass production factories. The tape plant I was working at from 1985 to 1992 was changing there set up but, I'm not sure if they where 100% digital by that time or not. They where in the late 1990's I do know as they just make CD's and DVD's now.

In those early day's of 8 bit digital there was a benefit to going analog but now that we have 96K at 24bit (or better) it's not as good as digital recording's. If you don't believe me, get an old CD from the early 1980's of an older (60's, 70's ) recording and listen to it at high SPL's, a song with a long fade out will actually cut out (abruptly) before the fade ends. B)

Archived