Looking for an early pic of JPJ playing a Rickenbacker bass.

Sloop John B

Hi all. I have this pic from an early Zeppelin show which shows John Paul Jones playing a rare prototype Rickenbacker bass:

post-14139-126082633916_thumb.jpg

I don't know what show it is, but I was wondering if any of you might have more photos from this show, specifically (and hopefully) clearer ones showing JPJ using this bass.

Thanks!

Check this out

Go to check some other shows in early 69 in the "Photos" section of the homepage, I'm mostly sure you can find some pictures there.

Thanks! I did manage to find a clearer version of the photo I posted above, but no other ones showing him playing that bass. It might have only been that one song that one time! :D

Thanks! I did manage to find a clearer version of the photo I posted above, but no other ones showing him playing that bass. It might have only been that one song that one time! :D

ahhh, the old Grande Ballroom in Detroit. That was about 2-3 weeks into their first tour of N. America. I've heard that there were barely a hundred people at those first shows. Imagine how lucky one would have been to have seen that. Anyway, maybe Jonesy borrowed the bass from one of the support groups because he'd broken a string on the old Jazzer and had no spares. Hard to believe that it even possible.

Anyway, maybe Jonesy borrowed the bass from one of the support groups because he'd broken a string on the old Jazzer and had no spares. Hard to believe that it even possible.

Not so! I have the serial number of that bass and a friend had access to a loan agreement between LZ and Rickenbacker that has what instruments & amplifiers they were given w/ serial numbers. The above bass was given to the band on loan with the option to keep, the serial number is GK (December 1967) XXXX.

Included were two Jetglo 4001 basses (including the one shown above, which was a prototype and today resides in the RIC musuem), a 360/12WB in Jetglo, a 610, and a 615. Some of them were kept by the band and some returned.

Archived