In My Time Of Dying - It Might Get Loud

TRic

Hey, first post here.

I'm Tom, a 15 year old guitarist and Led Zep fan (one of the 100000....). Anyway, I was watching It Might Get Loud and more specifically when Page, Edge and Jack perform In My Time of Dying.

From playing over the top of it I discovered that it is played in standard tuning in the film while the original recording is played in open E tuning (E, A, E, A, C#, E). I figured out most of it but one thing that puzzles me and has been doing so for months of trying to find it is the chord that Jimmy plays at 1:12 here:

I guess you could say it's two chords, then later in the song it goes down a tone or two and the same riff is played. If anyone knows what chord or any information on it please share it, I just love that sound so much and I really want to be able to play it before my LP Studio arrives :D

I have the film on Blu-ray but it's still not clear enough to see Page's fingers.

Tom.

Sorry to burst your bubble but you're wrong on the tuning.

The song was recorded in open A (EAEAC#E - low to high) but performed live in open G (DGDGBD). That's the same intervals (& fingering) just a whole step lower. In the film they're using the open G tuning - that's why you thought it was standard, because three of the strings are tuned the same.

To do that chord move you're taling about barre across all the strings at the 5th fret with your index finger, then fret the top two strings with your little finger at the 8th fret (slide should be on your ring finger) then move those two notes down to the 7th fret while keeping the barre at the 5th. Later in the song the whole thing gets moved two frets lower.

So your chords are:

--8 - 8 - 7 -

--8 - 8 - 7 -

--5 - 5 - 5 -

--5 - 5 - 5 -

--(5)

--(5)

(Lower two strings in brackets because they're optional at this point)

:)

Sorry to burst your bubble but you're wrong on the tuning.

The song was recorded in open A (EAEAC#E - low to high) but performed live in open G (DGDGBD). That's the same intervals (& fingering) just a whole step lower. In the film they're using the open G tuning - that's why you thought it was standard, because three of the strings are tuned the same.

To do that chord move you're taling about barre across all the strings at the 5th fret with your index finger, then fret the top two strings with your little finger at the 8th fret (slide should be on your ring finger) then move those two notes down to the 7th fret while keeping the barre at the 5th. Later in the song the whole thing gets moved two frets lower.

So your chords are:

--8 - 8 - 7 -

--8 - 8 - 7 -

--5 - 5 - 5 -

--5 - 5 - 5 -

--(5)

--(5)

(Lower two strings in brackets because they're optional at this point)

:)

Absolutely right! As I was reading the post by the OP I had a feeling these were the chords he was wondering about. You nailed it on the chords and the tunings; studio and live and in the film.

EDIT: And the chord, when dropped down a step is this:

--6 - 6 - 5 -

--6 - 6 - 5 -

--3 - 3 - 3 -

--3 - 3 - 3 -

--3 - 3 - 3 -

-- {3}

-- {3}

Archived