Influence or Resemblance

aeonblue

There are a lot of bands that have a certain resemblance or have been influenced by Zeppelin, most of them are well known but since, in my opinion, rock is almost completely non-existent in this times, which "newer" bands that have this characteristic do you think are worth to check out?

My reccomendation would be The Mars Volta, i think that the influence goes beyond the vocals besides that you can hear echoes of some other greats. All their albums are, in my opinion, very good.

Here´s a couple of tracks of their most popular album...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgD9btrMdP0

I've been saying it for 8 years now but The White Stripes. Their first 3 albums in particular. They're not a carbon copy of Zep at all & sounding like Zeppelin was never their intent but they have elements in common that relate to guitar/drums dynamics, production, & the blues material each band covered & how they approached those songs. I can't understand how some people do not hear similar elements between The Stripes "Death Letter" & "Dead Leaves And The Dirty Ground" to Zep's "IMTOD" & "The Rover" respectively. To me it's right there but in a much more stripped back form.

Aeonblue, I've been preaching the Mars Volta Zep connection for years. They have the same "feeling" of live Zep through many of their studio tracks. I really love Frances the Mute; it's so wonderfully dense and whimsical.

Kaiser, the same with TWS. I was even perplexed that for It Might Get Loud they picked Jack White since he was such a similar guitarist as Jimmy, IMO. He's a bit of a throwback to the early days of Page's experience with multi-track recording, by choice whereas Jimmy was pushing the studio forward; Jack seems to revel in deconstructing it.

I know you guys are sick of me talkin' Thornley in the same breath as Zep but the roots run deep. This is a kind of Zep-meets-Floyd classic shuffle. The solo (about 3:36 minutes in) is pure Pagian goodness though. Kinda in the image of "I'm Gonna Crawl".

Ian Thornley de-constructs Zep songs and re-arranges the pieces in VERY creative ways. He's got many more examples. This has got the rhythm and lope of "Four Sticks" slowed down.

And of course, the song that started it all for me, that Zep drenched ho-down (Sounds more who-ish in parts)

So YES newer bands have digested the Zep and regurgitated it in interesting ways. I wish more people had ears that went beyond the surface.

Archived