Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers/ Buddy Guy at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, PA 7/31/10

Wolfman

I had seats up close to the stage tonight to see a fantastic show in Philly as Buddy Guy opened up for Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. The legendary Guy, who just turned 70 years old, was blazing as usual. Lots of hardcore blues with snippets of other blues legends like Albert King, John Lee Hooker, and B.B. King. I've seen him a few times before and he did his customary walking through the crowd while still playing his guitar which was pretty amazing since the arena was sold out (it holds well over 20,000 people). The other times I've seen him where in much smaller arenas or clubs. He ended his set with a history of the blues by starting with some old school stuff to Cream to Voodoo Child by Hendrix. Buddy did a sick solo with his teeth no less.

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers came on right around nine and did a nice set of classic tunes mixed with their new album, Mojo (which I personally love). This is the second time I've seen them and again they did not disappoint. Lots of nice playing with some AMAZING GUITAR SOLOS by Mike Campbell, tight drumming by Steve Ferrone, and Tom sounding great on the mic and guitar. The band has some nice jams but really seemed to go off during the middle of the set when they did several songs from the new album. It was probably refreshing for them to play something different than the usual greatest hits. I must admit I was shocked how short they played though. One hour and forty-fives minutes. That's including a short break for the two encores. Not complaining but still for $150 a seat, I would like a few more than 18 songs. Still, it was a fun concert with everyone in the crowd singing along and tons of beautiful women dancing to the music. Here's the setlist:

1. Listen to Her Heart
  2. You Don't Know How It Feels
  3. I Won't Back Down
  4. Free Fallin'
  5. Oh Well (Fleetwood Mac Cover)
  6. Mary Jane's Last Dance
  7. Honey Bee
  8. Breakdown
  9. Jefferson Jericho Blues
  10. Good Enough
  11. Running Man's Bible
  12. First Flash of Freedom
  13. I Should Have Known It
  14. Learning to Fly
  15. Don't Come Around Here No More
  16. Refugee
  17. Runnin' Down a Dream (Encore)
  18. American Girl (Encore)

Edited by Wolfman

Thanks Wolfman. This will be my 8th time seeing them, wish I could have seen Buddy Guy. I know that Mike was in the hospital for a few days following a collapse on stage in Ohio. Wondering if that has to do with the short time on stage....

Anyway, I have NOT looked at your set list...it's a silly superstition I have. Whatev, right?

I will post as soon as I can about my experience(s) in Boston.

Ciao