2010 NHL Thread (international, AHL welcome too)

silvermedalist

:nhl: :nhl: As another season embarks on us, it would seem that the defending cup champs are up against it given their loss of many players due to the almighty salary cap. The day of the dynasty in hockey is behind us and that is a good thing for the sport in general. So, here is my early take and I invite all of yours. I believe that some teams will have tough years and one of them is not used to such a thing. That team is the New Jersey Devils. I will go on record here and now and say they will be lucky to get in as a 7 or 8 seed if they make it at all. I believe the Montreal Canadiens will not make it and they will be unseated by the Toronto Maple Leafs. Rejoice Leafs fans! Better days have arrived. You can write that in my blood. And I bleed blue and gold. But the blue and gold is Buffalo blue and gold. I will hope that Bettman gets his act together and enforces interference like it should be. We want to watch hockey, not the world wrestling federation. And dont worry Wolfman, I am picking your boys to make it. :D Here are my picks starting with the Western conference:

Playoff teams in no particular order of seeding: Detroit Red Wings

San Jose Sharks

Vancouver Canucks

Anahem Ducks

Los Angeles Kings

St Louis Blues

Calgary Flames

Phoenix Coyotes

Nashville Predators

Yes, I know, No Chicago Blackhawks

Now the teams from the Eastern conference Washington Capitals (cinch)

Pittsburgh Penguins

Buffalo Sabres

Boston Bruins

Philadelphia Flyers

Carolina Hurricanes

Tampa Bay Lightning

Toronto Maple Leafs

Now if I have made a mistake it will be either Tampa or Carolina. The Atlanta Thrashers could be tough. But too many unknowns to picki them yet even though Rick Dudley will get them there soon. I just dont think this year is possible. Carolina must have Cam Ward back and on top of his game, if so they can make it for sure. I sure wish we had Whitney. Oh, thats right, he went somewher else didnt he? Some one please tell me where? That said, it could diminish their chances. So I must say I stuck my neck out picking them. If they disappoint, then it could be the Rangers maybeor Ottawa. I may be selling Ottawa short but I say they will fire Murray by Xmas.

Ok, my final four in the conferance West Detroit, San Jose, Vancouver, Anaheim and the winner will be the Vancouver Canucks

Ok, my final four in the conference East Washington, Toronto, Buffalo and Boston and the winner will be the Buffalo Sabres

So a Stanley Cup final of the two teams that joined the league together in 1970 when Gilbert Perrault was a rookie number one pick

IN THIER 40TH ANNIVERSARY SEASOJN AND BOTH TEAMS WILL WEAR IT ON THEIR JERSEYS WE WILL HAVE A FINAL OF TWO OF THE BEST FIVE FANS IN THE SPORT, ONLY TORONTO CAN BE RATED AS HAVING THE BEST FANS IN ALL OF SPORTS, AND THE BR0WNIES SECOND.

SO SORRY MY FRIEND ALLY, I MUST PICK THOMAS VANEK TO SCORE THE WINNER IN OT, GAME 7 GIVING MILLER AND MY BOYS THE TROPHY WE SHOULD HAVE WON 35 YEARS AGO! SABRES OVER THE CANUCKS IN 7:nhl_checking:

NOW ITS YOUR TURN MY FELLOW BOARD FRIENDS

I sure hope your right about the finals but I will disagree about who wins it :D . The West will again prove to be very tough and unpredictable . Ironically, I see the Canucks struggling to match last years reg,season standing but see them better equiped to go further in the playoffs. The team I expect to have the toughest time with is the LA Kings. They're a big, strong, skilled team and are shaping up to be very much like the Anaheim Ducks team that won the cup three years ago. I have to disagree about your pick of Chicago being left out in the cold. Yes, they've been depleted badly but, most of those guy's were role players and they can replace that. They still have a ton of skill and speed and with Turco now signed, I suspect they will still have enough to make the playoffs. The team I expect to drop off is the Colorado Avalanche. Think they played way above themselves last season. Calgary, who knows. We know they have the talent but not sure they're all on the same page. Detroit the same.

In the east, gotta like the Leafs chances of making the playoffs. Tampa Bay as well as I think Yzerman has done a lot to improve that team and he'll keep doing so. I agree about Carolinas chances hanging on Cam Wards shoulders. If he gets back to his usual self then they'll make it. I do agree about Buffalo. I think they have the best goaltender in hockey and if they can add a little more scoring punch, they'll definitely challenge Washington and Pittsburgh to see who represents the east in the finals.

Still a little ways to go before the season begins and I expect there will be more news of teams adding players. Predictions could change

Archived