Fun To Play Blues Songs

Jimmy Page= King

Hi everyone I have been playing the guitar for a few months now and really want to play some cool yet relatively simple blues music from artists such as John Lee Hooker and T-Bone Walker but obviously many more I and just wanted to know if there are any songs that are particularly good to learn and improve skill and technique ect.

Songs that have lessons widely available on the internet would be a great help. Thanks.

There are lots of blues lessons on youtube, including quite a few that are rips from DVD lessons. Jimmy Reed and Wolf are always fun to play, sounds simple but is tough to get just right. Do a search for I Ain't Got You and Smokestack Lightning lessons on YT and it will likely bring up several others as well.

There are lots of blues lessons on youtube, including quite a few that are rips from DVD lessons. Jimmy Reed and Wolf are always fun to play, sounds simple but is tough to get just right. Do a search for I Ain't Got You and Smokestack Lightning lessons on YT and it will likely bring up several others as well.

Blues first of all I like very much. But the leads are probably the easiest to play. Its very easy to improvise blues leads.

Blues first of all I like very much. But the leads are probably the easiest to play. Its very easy to improvise blues leads.

Easy to improvise any lead since the sky is the limit with improvisation. As far as blues leads go some are easy others are not, some of the most difficult blues stuff is more about being able to duplicate the technique and feel. For example bending notes a-la Albert King is pretty tough to do in a way that actually sounds like AK. Because not only did he string upside down, which makes it easier to pull the high E down for those wide bends but he had a very aggressive style of play, facilitated by his powerful hands. The physical challenges of duplicating his stuff is more important than simply playing the same notes. I freakin' separated a fingernail from the quick trying to do that stuff once, he wasn't about namby pamby 1/2 step bends with light strings. That's just one example, lots of blues is pretty unorthodox. Players like Hound Dog Taylor and Earl Hooker had unique styles of play that is very difficult to duplicate.

Easy to improvise any lead since the sky is the limit with improvisation. As far as blues leads go some are easy others are not, some of the most difficult blues stuff is more about being able to duplicate the technique and feel. For example bending notes a-la Albert King is pretty tough to do in a way that actually sounds like AK. Because not only did he string upside down, which makes it easier to pull the high E down for those wide bends but he had a very aggressive style of play, facilitated by his powerful hands. The physical challenges of duplicating his stuff is more important than simply playing the same notes. I freakin' separated a fingernail from the quick trying to do that stuff once, he wasn't about namby pamby 1/2 step bends with light strings. That's just one example, lots of blues is pretty unorthodox. Players like Hound Dog Taylor and Earl Hooker had unique styles of play that is very difficult to duplicate.

I must admit that I have never been a big fan of bending too much as I just hate replacing strings constantly I love the blues lead that Page does in Icantquityoubabe. I think that was one of the songs they borrowed/credited to Dixon was it?

I must admit that I have never been a big fan of bending too much as I just hate replacing strings constantly I love the blues lead that Page does in Icantquityoubabe. I think that was one of the songs they borrowed/credited to Dixon was it?

ICQYB is a straight up cover of Otis Rush, LZ remained faithful to the original, yes the song was written by WD.

ICQYB is a straight up cover of Otis Rush, LZ remained faithful to the original, yes the song was written by WD.

Since I've been Loving You is also blues. Done very very well. That is what makes Led Zepp so incredible. The ability to play all styles. Even country. Down by the Seaside, with pedal steel.

Since I've been Loving You is also blues. Done very very well. That is what makes Led Zepp so incredible. The ability to play all styles. Even country. Down by the Seaside, with pedal steel.

Everyone from the Doobie Brothers to CSN was doing the same thing back then, it was the flavor of the day.

Everyone from the Doobie Brothers to CSN was doing the same thing back then, it was the flavor of the day.

I have played the guitar on and off for about 33 years. But I have never had the chance to try out a pedal steel. Wish i could but dont know anyone that has one and they are expensive. Not something I would go buy. But would love to try one. I think the only slide song I really like to play is In My Time of Dying. I would also love to try the banjo. Its just so expenseive to play music. Not to mention I would like to have a piano again. You can usually get a decent one used for $500. But I dont have the space for one now.

Archived