Info about the song "South Bound Saurez"

Mario

Hi, I'm from Uruguay, in South America. While I was checking the music in my PC, I found the song "South Bound Saurez" from the 1979 album "In Through The Out Door" (I must confess that I haven't bought all of Led Zepelin records, I just have the original copy of Mothership and Coda because original CDs are very expensive here). It seemed to be something wrong with the title of the song (miss-spelling or something), so I got into Wikipedia to get some information about it. In Wikipedia they say that the song may have been influenced by the wine-producing region of Saurez in Uruguay. There is not such region in Uruguay, we have Suárez, which is a wine-producing region, but not Saurez. I made a little reserach within people I know and I found some people who say that Jimmy Page stayed once in Uruguay. Is this true? Is "South Bond Saurez" inspired in a trip of Jimmy Page to Suárez, Uruguay? Please, it would be great if you could give me this information. The song I'm talking about is not very popular, and in Uruguay we are only 3 million people... True information about this fact won't affect the image of the band, but will make a 27 year-old fan very happy. And I'm not asking for the interpretation of the lyrics, I want to know just where it came from. I'm sorry if my Englsh writing skills are not the accurate, but I've tried to do the best I can. Please, I need an answer. Thank you!

Argentina hosted the World Cup from June 1-25 1978, and Robert watched more than a few matches on the telly. Those sights and sounds may have come to the forefront of his thoughts whilst writing and recording material for In Through The Out Door. The samba beats on Fool In The Rain is one example, the title of South Bound Suarez is another. The Spanish word "con carne" and use of Suarez hint at Latin American imagery. So far as I know none of them have ever actually been to Uruguay.

Edited by SteveAJones

Argentina hosted the World Cup from June 1-25 1978, and Robert watched more than a few matches on the telly. Those sights and sounds may have come to the forefront of his thoughts whilst writing and recording material for In Through The Out Door. The samba beats on Fool In The Rain is one example, the title of South Bound Suarez is another. The Spanish word "con carne" and use of Suarez hint at Latin American imagery. So far as I know none of them have ever actually been to Uruguay.

Thanks for your answer. It's a good hint, I imagine that he just used some of his experience to write the song, but they never were in real touch with the region... You have to understand that the article on Wikipedia gave me a lot of fake expectations... It would have been awesome that the song had been writen from true experience in my homeland... Thanks a lot.

• 2 months later...

So far as I know none of them have ever actually been to Uruguay.

I'm pleased to inform you I now know better. Jimmy has confirmed he went to Uruguay & Argentina (Buenos Aires) for his Christmas 1994 holiday. His first visit to South America had been the month prior to conduct promotional duties for the release of 'No Quarter - Jimmy Page & Robert Plant Unledded'.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pleased to inform you I now know better. Jimmy has confirmed he went to Uruguay & Argentina (Buenos Aires) for his Christmas 1994 holiday. His first visit to South America had been the month prior to conduct promotional duties for the release of 'No Quarter - Jimmy Page & Robert Plant Unledded'.

"His first visit to South America" ?? That was way before 1994 surely. Wasn't there a photo in one of the threads here of Jimmy and family outside Rio Copacabana Palace Hotel dated around 1981 ?

"His first visit to South America" ?? That was way before 1994 surely. Wasn't there a photo in one of the threads here of Jimmy and family outside Rio Copacabana Palace Hotel dated around 1981 ?

I was speaking within the context of 1994 - his first vist to South America that year was the month prior. I am familiar with the photo to which you refer and a translation of the caption confirmed it was taken at the Rio Copacabana Hotel (circa 1979).