How many tickets were in ballot

There seems to be some debate over how many tickets were open for the ballot and how many were made available for the industry, celebs and other hangers on.

It was clear that the floor and the seats in the gods filled up really quickly but the middle seated area was still filling up after led zep started.

In particular there were complete tossers carrying trays of beer back from the bar during STH.

Does anyone know?

I would also be interested to know the breakdown by nationality. We were in a queue with Americans, Canadians, French, Germans, Australians and even a Mexican and a Columbian. I thought I was lucky to get a ticket assuming that people would just be coming from the UK.

To get a ticket in competition with people from all over the world means that we who went really are in a very select group.

Also, having seen them previously at Knebworth in 79, I wonder how many others made the double.

I am afraid that I really am a bit of a smug bastard at the moment. I don't think the feeling is going to wear off for a while yet.

I hear about 14,000 tickets were from the ballot, which sounds about right. I agree, some of those in the middle tier were very slow to get to their seats...

Nearly everyone I spoke to was American - I wonder what percentage of ballot winners were actually British?

There seems to be some debate over how many tickets were open for the ballot and how many were made available for the industry, celebs and other hangers on.

It was clear that the floor and the seats in the gods filled up really quickly but the middle seated area was still filling up after led zep started.

In particular there were complete tossers carrying trays of beer back from the bar during STH.

Does anyone know?

I was up the front of the standing area, and you're right in that the top tier was pretty full early on. The other areas all started to fill up during the 'abysmal' warm up bands. I did think the rest of the arena (seating) was pretty full by the time Zep started. The block to my right when viewing the stage, had a few celebs in it. I saw Marilyn Manson, Brian May, whatsisface from Chili Peppers. There weren't many empty seats when I looked across.

I too felt like a minority in terms of nationality. I was stood next to some French people, an America who fancied himself as a drummer (yawn) and a few Argentinians that acted like they were their 'biggest fan'.

In answer to your question about tickets, I think the ballot had 18,000 tickets, and the venue holds 22,000. However, there were two blocks either side of the stage that remained empty, I think because they had rigging above them.

Note: The only flag wavers were American and Canadian. FFS.

Well there where three of us from the UK, I did notice that there where a lot of Amercians and Candians but I guess thats just because there are many more of them, 14,000 sounds about right to me also 7,000 pairs.

We where in the front lower middle tier and I agree that dueing the support act it was a bit sparse but when the guys came out it was packed.

I think in terms of nationality there was no fixing, it was as they came out.

All the best

Andy

I was up the front of the standing area, and you're right in that the top tier was pretty full early on. The other areas all started to fill up during the 'abysmal' warm up bands. I did think the rest of the arena (seating) was pretty full by the time Zep started. The block to my right when viewing the stage, had a few celebs in it. I saw Marilyn Manson, Brian May, whatsisface from Chili Peppers. There weren't many empty seats when I looked across.

I too felt like a minority in terms of nationality. I was stood next to some French people, an America who fancied himself as a drummer (yawn) and a few Argentinians that acted like they were their 'biggest fan'.

In answer to your question about tickets, I think the ballot had 18,000 tickets, and the venue holds 22,000. However, there were two blocks either side of the stage that remained empty, I think because they had rigging above them.

Note: The only flag wavers were American and Canadian. FFS.

I was standing in the third row.

The lighting riggers climbed up their ladders right above us to get to their seats.

I did think the Americans made rather a lot of noise. They tended to scream and whoop at every opportunity.

Archived