Break It Down For Me Drummer Brothers

redrum

I've never really had any formal training on drums and now that I've gotten back into playing at age 62 I now have lots of time to devote to playing. But at this time in my life I want to learn (or attempt to learn) playing odd time signatures. I have a drumming book and on the cd it plays the instrumental of 'Nice To Know You' by Incubus and I love the song and drumming. I'm wanting to ask if any of you know how to break the song down since the drummer goes from 4/4 to 3/4 to 5/4 time signatures throughout the song. Odd time sigs are totally foreign to me at this time, so any tips would be most appreciated. Thanks guys.

:^)

I've never really had any formal training on drums and now that I've gotten back into playing at age 62 I now have lots of time to devote to playing. But at this time in my life I want to learn (or attempt to learn) playing odd time signatures. I have a drumming book and on the cd it plays the instrumental of 'Nice To Know You' by Incubus and I love the song and drumming. I'm wanting to ask if any of you know how to break the song down since the drummer goes from 4/4 to 3/4 to 5/4 time signatures throughout the song. Odd time sigs are totally foreign to me at this time, so any tips would be most appreciated. Thanks guys.

:^)

this may help. i use youtube for alot of my guitar learning......cheers Rich..P.S-Great tune!

seems like every 15 year old drummer I hear can play this note for note with near perfection- this and linear drumming are everywhere right now. Can I please get a straight 12/8 with just some modest layback on it? Oh no... heck no... let's run it up to 142bpm and overplay.

If you are not interested in getting into a program with an instructor, hit every YouTube link you can. fishhead gave you a great one.

seems like every 15 year old drummer I hear can play this note for note with near perfection- this and linear drumming are everywhere right now. Can I please get a straight 12/8 with just some modest layback on it? Oh no... heck no... let's run it up to 142bpm and overplay.

I guess I could agree with you on musicians who can play a song 'note for note' and I don't really know what you mean by 'linear drumming'. But to me the standouts are the ones who can put ther own nuance and feel into a tune and know the freedom to change things around on any song (there's no rule that says you can't) no matter what instrument they play. You know we don't want to sound like a metronome/robot when we play, do we? I remember reading I believe it was Beethoven or Mozart who got mad at a student who asked why they changed the tempo of their music when it was 'established' on the sheet music to play it at that tempo and the composer said: 'Why would I play AT THE SAME TEMPO ALL THE TIME?' So that's just an observation on your comment.

If you are not interested in getting into a program with an instructor, hit every YouTube link you can. fishhead gave you a great one.

I may or may not sign up with a drum teacher. Kinda mulling it around right now. I am currently putting together an electronic set but with a real hi-hat, crash and ride cymbals as I am not really happy with the electronic sound of the hi-hat. The recent book I checked out from our library is 'All About Drums: A Fun And Simple Guide To Playing Drumes' by Rick Mattingly and it includes a cd which includes the instrumental of 'Nice To Know You'. Actually, I think I like the song without the lyrics. I am determined to learn it as I love the time and tempo changes of the song. It may be 'simple' to some but when you're an 'Old Dog' like me it naturally takes longer. :^) What I also like about the book is the jazz section and learning total independance. I will be tripping up on that section for quite a while I'm sure. I just ordered my copy from Amazon. But thanks to you and fishhead for the feedback. :^)

Archived