Digital Cameras

redrum

Hey all. This is for those here who have high end cameras and I wanted to ask if there are cameras out there with these features:

Complete manual shutter/aperture control plus time exposures and hand held light meter capability (I have a Gossen Luna-Pro)

Double exposure capability

Able to zoom during a long exposure

Black & White/infrared capability (probably a given)

Filters to alter contrast for black & white

Motor drive (5-6 frames per second)

Panorama capability

Movie capability is a given I'm sure

I currently have a Fuji S4000 that has some of these features (panorama, B&W, some manual control) but it also has a great zoom lens. I'm just hoping that Canon or Nikon have incorporated many of the features from their older film cameras like I listed. Any tips on a brand and maybe a price? Thanks.

Hey all. This is for those here who have high end cameras and I wanted to ask if there are cameras out there with these features:

Complete manual shutter/aperture control plus time exposures and hand held light meter capability (I have a Gossen Luna-Pro)

Double exposure capability

Able to zoom during a long exposure

Black & White/infrared capability (probably a given)

Filters to alter contrast for black & white

Motor drive (5-6 frames per second)

Panorama capability

Movie capability is a given I'm sure

I currently have a Fuji S4000 that has some of these features (panorama, B&W, some manual control) but it also has a great zoom lens. I'm just hoping that Canon or Nikon have incorporated many of the features from their older film cameras like I listed. Any tips on a brand and maybe a price? Thanks.

Hard to say for me, because I only got into photography since Digital, so I never used much of the old film equipment.

Pretty much ALL DSLRs have full manual settings, along with a number of automated modes for various situations, Full-Auto (dummy-proof, LOL) and a few semi-manual settings (Aperture priority, shutter priority, etc.)

In other words, you control the chosen priority, and the camera adjusts the rest to match, allowing for control over depth of field, lighting, etc.

Fairly certain most have inputs for light meters, etc.

As for filters, if you shoot in manual mode, you can generate Camera RAW files that can be tweaked non-destructively within ACR (Adobe Camera RAW), Lightroom or similar post-processing plug-ins achieving the exact same results (or usually better) as physical contrast filters.

And unless I'm misunderstanding motor drive, that's what is now known as Burst mode.

Being digital, there's obviously no motor to advance the film.

The only restriction is the data transfer rate of your memory card.

Which is even more crucial for shooting video.

The faster the transfer rate of your memory card, the more continuous video you can capture at one time.

Most of the new DSLRs have video capability, and most are full 1080p High Definition.

If you're serious about video, you may want to get an external (stereo) mic, as the onboard mic is - not surprisingly - very rudimentary, and produces nowhere near the quality of audio to match the superior video.

As for panoramas, there are some lenses, but much more can be done post-processing within Photoshop.

I simply shoot a group of photos with the intention of a panorama in mind, keeping the camera in the same relative position as I shoot, and Photoshop's automated features do an incredible job of creating fantastic panoramas.

Hope that helps some.

Thanks TypeO. That is a lot of help. I should take the time to just compare the two major brands (Nikon/Canon) and see how close they come to what I'm looking for. And the old motor drive thing could also have been called 'Burst Mode.' Here's an old Nikon F-3 motor drive set up. They were big, bulky and heavy but sounded so cool when they went off. ^_^ Movies really exploited that sound for a while, sorta like brass casings hitting the floor that's been overdone already.

post-503-0-35041400-1387072564_thumb.jpg

Archived