Walter's Walk'Sympathy for the Devil and Coda

The plan was for Wearing & Tearing to be a single at the time of the Knebworth shows.

That's why it was not on the album.

Bingo. It was never destined for the album, because it was destined to be released for Knebworth, which of course, did not happen due to time constraints.

Whatever the band's intentions for 'Wearing and Tearing' in the run-up to both Knebworth and the impending release of ITTOD that summer, my assertion still stands, it was simply too good a track to leave off their first studio release in three-and-a-half years...

I always hated when singles were released but not put on albums. It was fine if they released the single a few months early, so everyone buys it without having access to the LP yet. But not having it on the albums at all, especially if from the same sessions, always seemed like a poor decision. I understand if both are out at the same time then sales could get split, but not if it's released before the album by a couple of months. Then the B side issue is another one I couldn't figure out, if they make albums either.

Whatever the band's intentions for 'Wearing and Tearing' in the run-up to both Knebworth and the impending release of ITTOD that summer, my assertion still stands, it was simply too good a track to leave off their first studio release in three-and-a-half years...

Opinions make the world go 'round.

I hear a lot of Zep fans on this forum and other general music forums, telling the same story about when ITTOD was released. About how excited they were, how they played it to death and how everyone was playing it. I also read that 3 of it's 6 million U.S. sales were purchased within a few months. I was only 9 at the time and unfortunately my musical interest was the Bee Gees lol. I can only assume that Wearing and Tearing would have been received as a bad ass Zeppelin track off of ITTOD, but I'm confident that it would have been embraced as such.

There's nothing to be baffled about, both of those tracks weren't included on either I and/or III for the same probable reason that 'Wearing and Tearing' wasn't included on ITTOD... time constraints on vinyl, with the band holding them back for possible inclusion further down the line. I've no problem with the exclusion of either 'Baby Come On Home' or 'Hey Hey, What Can I Do' from their respective immediately-released albums, neither album is diminished in any way by said exclusions - unlike 'Wearing and Tearing' being left off ITTOD in my humble opinion - plus it just meant that when the band had to give Atlantic one more (contractually-obligated) album in the form of Coda, there was still some great material left in the vaults to be released... and there still is, hopefully soon to be unleashed later this year...

I'm still baffled over the decision to not include Hey Hey what can I do and Baby Come on Home on Zep I and III.

There's nothing to be baffled about, both of those tracks weren't included on either I and/or III for the same probable reason that 'Wearing and Tearing' wasn't included on ITTOD... time constraints on vinyl, with the band holding them back for possible inclusion further down the line. I've no problem with the exclusion of either 'Baby Come On Home' or 'Hey Hey, What Can I Do' from their respective immediately-released albums, neither album is diminished in any way by said exclusions - unlike 'Wearing and Tearing' being left off ITTOD in my humble opinion - plus it just meant that when the band had to give Atlantic one more (contractually-obligated) album in the form of Coda, there was still some great material left in the vaults to be released... and there still is, hopefully soon to be unleashed later this year...

I think 'Hats Off to Roy Harper' over 'Key to the Highway/Trouble in Mind' was the real head-scratcher. :huh:

I think 'Hats Off to Roy Harper' over 'Key to the Highway/Trouble in Mind' was the real head-scratcher. :huh:

Yeah, I recognize the limitations of vinyl at the time as far as playing time goes, but both BCOH and HHWCID are so solid in their arrangement and production, I'm surprised they both weren't seen as indispensable.

Archived