Anybody been to Bron-Yr-Aur?

Bronto

Just wondering if anyone had made the trek to Bron-Yr-Aur in Wales and what it was like. Read a recent newspaper article about it and how some German guy had gone there on foot, sleeping in churches and foraging for berries along the way.

I have.  Until the age of the Internet, it really was almost impossible to find.  It truly is a very beautiful setting.  I went there knowing that I wanted to see it but had to absolutely respect the privacy of the owner(s).  I kept my distance, but got close enough to see the place and enjoy the gorgeous surroundings.

1 hour ago, NealR2000 said:

I have.  Until the age of the Internet, it really was almost impossible to find.  It truly is a very beautiful setting.  I went there knowing that I wanted to see it but had to absolutely respect the privacy of the owner(s).  I kept my distance, but got close enough to see the place and enjoy the gorgeous surroundings.

Hard to find ? Depends where you're coming from. I live about a two hour drive away from Maccynthlth (however it's spelt) the nearest village, the locals will point you in the right direction if you ask nicely or they may point you in the wrong direction if you don't, they may even talk back at you in Welsh. So yeah these days Google maps is your friend for going solo. I last drove through the area about 1989/90 but had no time to make my way up to Bron....

2 hours ago, JTM said:

Hard to find ? Depends where you're coming from. I live about a two hour drive away from Maccynthlth (however it's spelt) the nearest village, the locals will point you in the right direction if you ask nicely or they may point you in the wrong direction if you don't, they may even talk back at you in Welsh. So yeah these days Google maps is your friend for going solo. I last drove through the area about 1989/90 but had no time to make my way up to Bron....

In the pre-Internet days, it was pretty much a mystery.  All was known was that it was a semi-derelict cottage somewhere in Snowdonia, which is a massive area.  Obviously locals knew of it, as well as a few who had heard via word-of-mouth.  Once the Internet came and Zep message boards started, word spread rapidly with photos and detailed directions.  The pilgrimages started and unfortunately, some folks were less than respectful about the current owners, going as far as to remove souvenirs and even break in.  

Archived