Album Review- Old Crow Medicine Show "Volunteer"

gibsonfan159

Old Crow Medicine Show- Volunteer

I've been a fan of OCMS and their style of old time folk music for a long time and was really excited for this new album. They've been on a roll lately with the last few. Remedy, Carry Me Back, and Tennessee Pusher were classic albums which all contained great original material.

This is definitely not a bad album, but there's something very noticeable about all the songs; they all sound unoriginal in a way. This honestly sounds like a cover album with no covers. Here's what I hear with these "covers".

Flicker And Shine- Classic sounding OCMS mid-paced tune. Not bad, but the chorus is a little cheesy.

A World Away- A straight up Jimmy Buffet song.

A Child Of The Mississippi- Hank Williams Jr. track if I've ever heard one.

Dixie Avenue- I really admire this rockabilly/80s country sound. Maybe Dwight Yoakam or Marty Stuart?

Look Away- Garth Brooks "Shameless" crossed with Jon Anderson's"Seminole Wind". Throw some STP in there too.

Shout Mountain Music- Eight Dogs, Eight Banjos redo.

The Good Stuff- 20's swing jazz tribute with flappers dancing.

Old Hickory- A straight take of The Band. Sounds like "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" mixed with "Cripple Creek".

Homecoming Party- Simon And Garfunkel with a touch of Willie Nelson.

Elzick's Farewell- Classic OCMS instrumental.

Whirlwind- Almost a direct take on their own "Levi".

The album is certainly listenable, but I just can't listen to it without hearing these other songs and artists. I'd give it a 5/10.

Archived