Jim O'Rourke

BigBadZep

What do you all think of Jim O'Rourke and the bands he's been involved with (i.e. - an actual member of, not like Wilco)?

I'm listening to one of his collaborations with Fennesz and Rehberg now (Magic Sound of Fenno'berg), which I think is amazing. It's a mix of electronic and acoustic music in more of a sound collage setting.

Gastr Del Sol was his band with David Grubbs (formerly of Bastro and Squirrel Bait). I've only really listened to their final album, Camofleur, but it's classic. It's pop with references to a good variety of folk.

His last two major solo studio albums, Eureka and Insignificance, consist largely of him becoming a big guitar pop whore. They're actually pretty solid, but I don't like them as much as the others I mentioned above.

Any fans here, of the stuff I mentioned above or otherwise?

All I've heard is his music with Sonic Youth from about 2000 to 2004ish.....I LOVE that stuff. I haven't heard those SY/O'Rourke SYR side projects though either....

I know he played both guitar and bass with SY....but I really don't know much about him. I've got a bootleg from June 11, 2000 ..and it sounds like he just joined by Thurston's introduction of him.....kinda like he starting just saying he was playing with them that night....but turned it into He was more or less a member now....

All I've heard is his music with Sonic Youth from about 2000 to 2004ish.....I LOVE that stuff. I haven't heard those SY/O'Rourke SYR side projects though either....

I know he played both guitar and bass with SY....but I really don't know much about him. I've got a bootleg from June 11, 2000 ..and it sounds like he just joined by Thurston's introduction of him.....kinda like he starting just saying he was playing with them that night....but turned it into He was more or less a member now....

Yeah. Not only did he influence SY on record by pushing their sound towards a more free form aesthetic with the intricate subtle layers of guitars and seamless transitions, but I thought he added a lot to their live show as well.

The guy is incredibly prolific and is involved in a wide array of musical styles.

I've actually been listening to Insignificance a lot lately. I recommend it for mainstream guitar-pop fans. I can't think of a good description, but the Beatles, roots-rock, and Gastr Del Sol all come to mind when listening to it.

Archived