Bonzo's drums

led foot

Correct me if I am wrong, but from LZ III to ITTOD did Bonzo use his green sparkle Ludwig kit on all studio recordings? Reason I am asking is it was reported in about 1975-76 he bought a silver sparkle Ludwig kit, and it was used on "Presence" and ITTOD. I have also heard stories on him using a North/Stacatto drum kit on ITTOD as well. I know for a fact Bonzo used his natural maple kit on LZ II, I have seen pictures in the Thunder Of Drums book of him playing it in the studio.

The stacatto drum kit was used for Paul McCartney's "Rockestra" Session, both he and Jonsey played n that. There were several drummers playing at once on the track

I've seen the entire vid years ago, now I can't find it :(

My avatar...

<---------

...shows a photo of Bonzo's kits in Polar studios during the recording of ITTOD.

It isn't a very big pic (even the full size scan isn't much bigger) but you can make out both the green sparkle kit & the new silver sparkle with a larger (15"x12") tom on the bass drum.

IIRC Plant (or maybe it was Jones) stated in an interview that Bonham always recorded with wood-shell drums, even when he was touring with the Vistalites or the steel kit.

IIRC (again) he had more than one of the green kits.

I presume he used this drum kit on LZ 1:

1968-09-13_new_yardbirds.jpg

I really can't seem to get a straight story on that one as well, in "Thunder of Drums" it mentions him as using a green sparkle Ludwig set, although with either a 22' or 24' inch bass drum, during the beginning days of LZ. I have also seen pictures taken during the '68 US tour of him playing a drum kit in Black Diamond Pearl finish.

ETA: that "Ludwig" he's playing is actually a Slingerland it appears...

Archived