Just how many albums actually sold....

sturie

Does anybody know just how many albums Zep have sold globally, and how does this sit against their peers ie The Beatles, Floyd, and,er...Abba?! The RIAA website is useful, but only captures America (I believe)...

Also, I've heard that Zep's back catalogue alone annually outsells the entire backcatalogue from Atlantic's other acts, any truth in this? And what sort of annual royalties do Zep generate?

Worldwide sales are difficult to establish as many countries do not have keep track of album sales. In the US, the RIAA is the official source of album sales.

LZ album sales total 109.5 million in the US, ranking them 4th overall behind the Beatles, Elvis, Garth Brooks, respectively. When they won the Polar Music Award in 2006, LZ claimed to have sold 300 million albums worldwide. Where that figure ranks worldwide, I don't know.

However, the RIAA is not without its flaws. With RIAA each disk of a multi disk set counts as 1 sale provided the set is over 100 minutes in length. RIAA also uses shipments minus returns which is partially inflated.

Archived