Led Zeppelin Turquoise Lettering 1st Album

Word Up Dude

Hey there

Does anybody know roughly how many of these copies were sold ?

Abit more technical in regards to the matrix number on this copy....

Is it right that the "Turquoise" variation Matrix should read 588171 without the 3rd digit scratched out and replaced with a hand written 8 directly above it ? ( If it`s scratched out this obviously is still on the plum/orange atlantic but now a second press & has come out of the "Orange" Lettered sleeve ??

Any help greatly appreciated

I have a copy.

I think roughly between 500 - 1000 were sold, or so I've read, at least in the UK. Can't be much more than that as they switched the colour after a few weeks. Needless to say, if you have one, they are seen as a collector's item. Some auction sites have a price listing of up to £1000 for them.

And, yes, mine has the 588171 A//1 & 588171 B//1 on it.

No it actually SHOULD devalue it as the scratched out matrix means that in some point in its history it has been swapped with a plum/red pressing BUT from the "Orange Lettered" Cover.

I have 2 copies of the turquoise and both have unscratched matrix`s BUT my orange sleeve cover record has a scratched matrix number

Basically record dealers will swap the record if the original 1 is cr*p to make the overall grading higher even though they are pulling a fast 1 over the buyer

Hey there

Does anybody know roughly how many of these copies were sold ?

Abit more technical in regards to the matrix number on this copy....

Is it right that the "Turquoise" variation Matrix should read 588171 without the 3rd digit scratched out and replaced with a hand written 8 directly above it ? ( If it`s scratched out this obviously is still on the plum/orange atlantic but now a second press & has come out of the "Orange" Lettered sleeve ??

Any help greatly appreciated

Well, to my knowledge, it seems to be the first pressing but there's no definitive word about that.

It's a very fashonable record, in fact you can see a copy (or more) on ebay every week ... how can this be considered rare?? the usual selling price is unbelivable (usually around 200 / 300£) because it's NOT rare (when the price is higher is usually due to the "newbie of the day" with money and no idea on how ebay is ... :( ).

How many of you have thailand, iranian or el salvador albums? you can see them usually one in a couple of years ... those are rare albums but there's no request so the value is "acceptable" or even cheap ...

About matrix number: usually in UK lower number means earlier pressing ... so if your is 3 (or worse 8) ... I don't think is the first issue ...

Ah, I've seen many "standard" first pressing A1/B1 ... so, as I wrote before, I'm still not sure that the turquoise is the very first pressing ...

When I'll know for sure more about those matrix numbers I'll change or update what's written on my discography on line ... actually is what I know for sure, so I consider it up to date ;)

Archived