Ovation acoustics

Trashbag

although alot of the celebrity models are really nice...The double neack is just to die for

Yeah, the double neck Celebrity is nice ....IF you buy one that has had the 12 string bridge reinforced. The bridges almost ALWAYS pull up. I love mine, but I bought it for half price from a factory authorized refurbishing center that reinforced the bridge. IT'S SWEET! :D

• 2 weeks later...

My slightly long-winded Ovation story:

I have a 1967 Gibson J45 I've owned for decades. As time has passed, I have grown more nervous about taking it out of the house.

So I asked myself - What decent guitar could I get cheap? It would have to be a model that a lot of people despise. uhhhhhh ..... let's see ......... Ovation!

Short story - I got a used Custom Balladeer 1712, US made, ebony fretboard, so nearly new looking it's practically a closet find - for $350.

Compared to the Gibson, the Ovation has a slightly wider neck near the nut. It allows me to play some things with abandon that otherwise might trip me up on the Gibson. Or at least force me to pay close attention.

I found that when I'm standing at a gig, the round back lets me hold the guitar so I easily can see my fingers everywhere on the fretboard. Which I like.

The tone is very even and consistent. When tuning the Gibson, the crystal display "needle" on a Korg tuner tends to hop around. With the Ovation, it zooms to one spot and stays there.

One night at an outdoor party my bandmates and I were under a tarp and it started raining like mad. I was playing an electric, the Ovation was behind me on a stand. I kept glancing at a guy in the band who had a rather panicked look on his face. When the song ended and I turned around, I saw water running in sheets all over the Ovation, sitting under what proved to be the edge of the tarp. I woulda ended up in a cardiac ICU had I seen the Gibson like that. Dried the Ovation off that night and it was as good as new.

For sure, if one wants a real downhome country or bluegrass sound, and probably most blues and folk sounds, the Gibson really fills the bill. If my main priority was volume, I'd put the heaviest bronze strings I could handle on the Gibson and it would roar even louder than it does now.

For most recording, I prefer the Ovation. If mixed with other instruments, a booming acoustic can tend to dominate. It's not much of an issue, however, recording an acoustic by itself.

My biggest gripe is with the Ovation headstock I can't clamp an Intellitouch tuner on solid enough to get a good reading on all the strings. If plugged in and using a monitor that's too loud or not EQ'd, I have to turn down the low slider on the Ovation's 3-band EQ about halfway to prevent feedback.

Led Zeppelin rules.

My slightly long-winded Ovation story:

I have a 1967 Gibson J45 I've owned for decades. As time has passed, I have grown more nervous about taking it out of the house.

So I asked myself - What decent guitar could I get cheap? It would have to be a model that a lot of people despise. uhhhhhh ..... let's see ......... Ovation!

Short story - I got a used Custom Balladeer 1712, US made, ebony fretboard, so nearly new looking it's practically a closet find - for $350.

Compared to the Gibson, the Ovation has a slightly wider neck near the nut. It allows me to play some things with abandon that otherwise might trip me up on the Gibson. Or at least force me to pay close attention.

I found that when I'm standing at a gig, the round back lets me hold the guitar so I easily can see my fingers everywhere on the fretboard. Which I like.

The tone is very even and consistent. When tuning the Gibson, the crystal display "needle" on a Korg tuner tends to hop around. With the Ovation, it zooms to one spot and stays there.

One night at an outdoor party my bandmates and I were under a tarp and it started raining like mad. I was playing an electric, the Ovation was behind me on a stand. I kept glancing at a guy in the band who had a rather panicked look on his face. When the song ended and I turned around, I saw water running in sheets all over the Ovation, sitting under what proved to be the edge of the tarp. I woulda ended up in a cardiac ICU had I seen the Gibson like that. Dried the Ovation off that night and it was as good as new.

For sure, if one wants a real downhome country or bluegrass sound, and probably most blues and folk sounds, the Gibson really fills the bill. If my main priority was volume, I'd put the heaviest bronze strings I could handle on the Gibson and it would roar even louder than it does now.

For most recording, I prefer the Ovation. If mixed with other instruments, a booming acoustic can tend to dominate. It's not much of an issue, however, recording an acoustic by itself.

My biggest gripe is with the Ovation headstock I can't clamp an Intellitouch tuner on solid enough to get a good reading on all the strings. If plugged in and using a monitor that's too loud or not EQ'd, I have to turn down the low slider on the Ovation's 3-band EQ about halfway to prevent feedback.

Led Zeppelin rules.

It's tricky, but an Itellitouch will clamp on the headstock! lol...I had to struggle as well to figure it out!! :D

Haha yeah man that one is nice to, I dunno im a sucker for solid black guitar if they are made properly and the one page played on p n p tours just got me all weepy eyed. I dunno if its the bindings or just the guitar in general it sound amazing and look even better lol

But still that red one is very very nice to. ITs so hard to choose!!

Archived