smokestack lightning

1965zoso

Well Zep got it from How Many More Years..from Howlin' Wolf?

It's more likely that Page got it from the Smokestack Lightning version that he played with The Yardbirds. The basic arrangement in HMMT comes from the live version that Yardbirds did in '68. It's similar to the early live versions of HMMT, complete with a bow solo and all but is in a slower tempo. You could say that the bass line in Smokestack, which Page can be heard playing on Yardbirds BBC Sessions, moved and became the main guitar riff in HMMT. The lyrics are however a different matter...

But it's not that strange when you think about it. Train Kept' a rollin', Dazed and Confused and Smokestack were all rehearsed when Led Zep met for the first time. All are songs that Page did back with The Yardbirds and which later were played on Led Zeppelin's first tour in Scandinavia. Two of the songs later made their way onto Led Zep I, superior to Yardbirds versions if you ask me.

It's more likely that Page got it from the Smokestack Lightning version that he played with The Yardbirds. The basic arrangement in HMMT comes from the live version that Yardbirds did in '68. It's similar to the early live versions of HMMT, complete with a bow solo and all but is in a slower tempo. You could say that the bass line in Smokestack, which Page can be heard playing on Yardbirds BBC Sessions, moved and became the main guitar riff in HMMT. The lyrics are however a different matter...

But it's not that strange when you think about it. Train Kept' a rollin', Dazed and Confused and Smokestack were all rehearsed when Led Zep met for the first time. All are songs that Page did back with The Yardbirds and which later were played on Led Zeppelin's first tour in Scandinavia. Two of the songs later made their way onto Led Zep I, superior to Yardbirds versions if you ask me.

Okay thank you!...I agree, they are better than the Yardbirds' ones, and I just loved For Your Love by Zep in like '69. Theyre just more(trying to look for the right word..) more powerful.

Archived