1970 Summer Germany tour recordings

Sticks of Fire

About 12 years ago during a search I located a set of Zeppelin photos from the "Stars & Stripes" archive of the Frankfurt July, 1970 concert.  While the pictures were great, the exciting thing was seeing the reel-to-reel deck rolling away by the soundman behind the amps on stage.  I believe another set of photos from the previous night in Essen were dug up by someone else and again you see the reel to reel deck rolling away during the performance.  Without hearing these tapes, one has to think they sound as good as the Paris 1969 recording, or any soundboard really.  I sure hope Page has these tapes and we get to hear them one day...

Reel 2 reel deck Frankfurt.jpg

lz19700717_03 copy.jpg

lz19700717_07.jpg

Edited by Sticks of Fire

Interesting, never heard of these before.  It was a long tour with only a few stops (six over the course of a month).  Only two nights have AUD sources, but it is confirmed to be the tour where Immigrant Song premiered and Whole Lotta Love took How Many More Times place as medley/finale.  Could be great shows for all we know, but I doubt it if Page has never said anything about them.  Either that or the tape turned out badly/went missing.

I was able to find Essen pictures and added them to my initial post (the last two).  

With the deck rolling for two shows you have to hope they also recorded the Cologne and Berlin shows too.  That would be four summer 1970 soundboard recordings that could exist (at least two should exist as evidenced in the photos).   

I'm very skeptical about this...can we even be sure of what these are recording?  Onstage would be an odd position to place a deck that is also hooked up to the soundboard.

There is nothing to be skeptical about my friend.  

There are reported interviews with the Zeppelin sound men during 1970 where the FOH sound engineer was set up behind the amps to run the sound for the shows. So it makes sense the deck would be right there.  Especially for shows with a very small stage.  

• 2 years later...