A SIGNED guitar belonging to rock legend Robert Plant will soon be up for grabs at auction.

Plant, who was schooled in Stourbridge, donated his Ibanez guitar to prolific fundraiser Tony Meehan after they met at a Terry Reid gig at the Robin 2 in Bilston.

The two bonded over their birthplace of West Bromwich but when Plant found out about Mr Meehan’s fundraising activities over the past few years he was eager to help.

Mr Meehan, who has raised £85,000 through marathons and other sponsored activities, said: “Following our meeting I was absolutely blown away that on the spot Robert agreed to donate the signed Ibanez guitar.

“What a thoughtful and kind gesture by such a legend. An amazing opportunity to own a guitar from such a great man, surely not to be missed.”

A date and place for the auction is yet to be finalised but all proceeds will be split between Macmillan Cancer Support and the neonatal unit at New Cross Hospital in Wolverhampton.

To make a bid on the guitar, email katatonia@hotmail.co.uk

Source: Dudley News

http://www.dudleynews.co.uk/news/10535179.Rock_legend_Robert_Plant_donates_guitar_for_charity_auction

post-20091-0-37469000-1373548451_thumb.j

Oh, ok. I certainly do not think it will bring anywhere near what Jimmy's guitar brought. It was a nice gesture on Robert's part anyway.

I wonder what happened to Robert's little blouses that he wore early on? They would probably fetch much more than this guitar.

Tony sent me these two photographs along with the following information about what the winning bidder will receive:

The guitar is in good condition and has been played by the legend himself. For that reason I have left the original strings on even though Robert has forwarded on a new set.

The package for the accepted bid we will as follows;

Signed Ibanez guitar

Signed box

Two 8x10 photographs

1 set of strings.

post-20091-0-57350600-1373573360_thumb.j

post-20091-0-16630800-1373573387_thumb.p

Thanks Cookie. I think you're right that this won't fetch nearly as much cash as a JP one would, considering Robert isn't primarily a guitarist as Jimmy is. For Jimmy it would depend, what was played on it and where. If one was used for a famous Zep concert or studio recording than you could get big bucks for it.

Thanks Cookie. I think you're right that this won't fetch nearly as much cash as a JP one would, considering Robert isn't primarily a guitarist as Jimmy is. For Jimmy it would depend, what was played on it and where. If one was used for a famous Zep concert or studio recording than you could get big bucks for it.

If it was a JP guitar used at any Zep concert or Zep recording then very very very big bucks would be most likely!

Archived