Levon Helm's Electric Dirt Confirmed for June 30

Jahfin

From CMT.com:

Levon Helm's new album, Electric Dirt, will be released on June 30 on Dirt Farmer Music/Vanguard Records. The new project follows his Grammy-winning album, Dirt Farmer, released in 2007. Multi-instrumentalist Larry Campbell produced the sessions that were recorded at Helm's studio. Selections include covers of the Grateful Dead's "Tennessee Jed," Happy Traum's "Golden Bird" and Randy Newman's "Kingfish," as well as "Growing Trade," a new song written by Helm and Campbell, about a farmer's struggle to preserve his livelihood.

Very cool - interesting to hear his take on "Tennessee Jed".

That did always sound like a song The Band could have done - kind of like "The Weight". Levon plays drums on some songs from Jorma's recent album "River of Time", which was also recorded at his studio. I haven't gotten it yet, but believe there's a cover of "Operator" on it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Great album! I saw his performance on Letterman, it was fantastic. I'd only wish he would tour in California. Love his voice and drumming.

I would love to make it to one of Levon's Rambles someday. The way Tennessee Jed sounds like it could fall apart at any moment but the way they hold it together would have fit The Band perfectly. The new Crowes was recorded up at Levon's place in Woodstock, I really need to pick that one up soon.

Archived