Talking/Background Noises on Tracks

frankb

Was just listening to Tangerine with some good headphones and for the first time noticed the little bit of talking (counting) at the beginning. Just wondering how many songs out there have background noises/cool noises/talking (both more noticeable and not). I also like at the end of IMTOD where Bonham coughs and they knows thats the take to use...just for fun

Oh man there's tons! Bed tracks bleeding through. Studio chatter. Remarks from the sound booth. It's one of the pure things about Zeppelin. They didn't polish polish polish. They went in and laid it down, and overdubbed a little icing on the cake, but they didn't worry the warts off of it. Zeppelin albums are remarkably honest. Get a good sound and knock it out. Even Bonham's stick clicks on Black Dog weren't totally wiped off.

Yep I completely agree, its always cool to hear things in the background, almost makes it seem more real and natural. Another one I listened to today on my ipod while going to work is the end of Boogie With Stu. The way the sticks are tapped at the end and then the laughing seems like they were kind've just winding down after the song and having a good time, yet they still kept that on the release.

Growing up and listening to some of that stuff, it just added to the mystique of the band. The studio chatter, throat clearing, coughs, stick clicks, airplanes and squeaky drum pedal sounds all made the band sound very earthy, very organic, and supremely confident.

Jimmy was obviously a wizard and a mad scientist in the studio, and a perfectionist in many ways, but he and the band somehow knew that all of that other stuff was a part of the music, and as such, was a moment in time, captured as it happened and recorded for the ages... I treasure it all to this day, because in a way it feels like in those moments, you had a seat in the back of the studio, (or hallway, or wherever else they decided it would sound cool to record) a co-conspirator, an insider with a pass to be there while the coolest tracks EVER were laid down.

Cool thread. B)

Growing up and listening to some of that stuff, it just added to the mystique of the band. The studio chatter, throat clearing, coughs, stick clicks, airplanes and squeaky drum pedal sounds all made the band sound very earthy, very organic, and supremely confident.

Jimmy was obviously a wizard and a mad scientist in the studio, and a perfectionist in many ways, but he and the band somehow knew that all of that other stuff was a part of the music, and as such, was a moment in time, captured as it happened and recorded for the ages... I treasure it all to this day, because in a way it feels like in those moments, you had a seat in the back of the studio, (or hallway, or wherever else they decided it would sound cool to record) a co-conspirator, an insider with a pass to be there while the coolest tracks EVER were laid down.

Cool thread. B)

Great post!! :beer:

Archived